Toronto Four Seasons Hotel and Private Residences Toronto | 203.9m | 52s | Lifetime | a—A

I'd hope that if they put own the cash, they did the research.

It would be nice but highly unlikely. The purchasers here are probably like people everywhere these days: Self-important oblivious boobs. Unaware of how the world works out side their Blackbaerry. Oh wait... This will be older established homeowners downsizing... OK then Self-important[, oblivious, rich boobs!
:p

Last edited:
Here's a quick vid i took of FS on March 17, 2010 (forgot to upload these vids till now!)

[video=youtube;Wd0GN_w2zbQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wd0GN_w2zbQ[/video]

vid by me: steveve :D

I doubt those fire engines get out much, maybe 1-2 times per day? So we're talking about 15-30 seconds of noise. Big deal. Anyway, the station will obviously get moved as Yorkville East gets built up.

I doubt those fire engines get out much, maybe 1-2 times per day? So we're talking about 15-30 seconds of noise. Big deal. Anyway, the station will obviously get moved as Yorkville East gets built up.

The Fire Department responds to EMS 911 medical emergency calls as well. The Yorkville fire hall is also closest to the Rosedale and Bloor Yonge subway stations, so would respond to all emergency calls from those TTC stations. All told - a bit more than 1-2 times per day.

AHK

I haven't heard anyone complaining at 18 Yonge, and that building just has cheapo windowwall on it. I'm sure Four Seasons will be significantly quieter with the curtainwall

First picture of Post #1314 shows what looks like the grey "mullion fins" that will go on the north and south sides.
Should add some verticality to those elevations.

That's what I convinced myself of too when I realized that I had bought 300-400m away from the fire hall on Grosvenor Street next to the YMCA. The trucks went out anywhere between 5 to 30 times a day and either went toward Yonge, or Bay. Sitting on the balcony at Bay & Grosvenor or having windows open in nice weather was no fun. In fact it kind of sucked (so did a lot of things living there) so we eventually sold the damn place.

This is one of the oldest firehalls in the city, and, even though I know that many on this forum aren't fans of older archetecture, it is still a significant heritate property. I don't think that the city will be moving it anytime soon. Part of living is a dense urban space is putting up with fire stations. There is really nowhere else to put it where it's not going to be within a few hundred metres of a crazy dense high-rise...

Just because the building is a heritage property doesn't mean the station cannot move into a new building somewhere else with the old one being used as a different use. That aside, I don't contemplate that actually happening.

Just because the building is a heritage property doesn't mean the station cannot move into a new building somewhere else with the old one being used as a different use. That aside, I don't contemplate that actually happening.

I agree that the building could be converted to a different use. My point is more that no matter where in that area it is moved to, it is going to me surrounded by (many) condos. Fire stations are evenly spread throughout the city such that there is a station within about 4 minutes of every resident. That means that the station could only be moved a couple blocks in any direction. I can't think of a location in the area (or anywhere else in the downtown core, for that matter) where fire trucks aren't going to be right up against high-density condos. The only option here would be to remove all fire stations from the downtown core and put them out in the periphery of the city. This would grossly inflate property insurance in the city, as it would go against North America-wide NFPA stanards (and would probably result in many complaints about slow reponse times).

Probably an easier and chearper solution would be to convence Toronto Fire to use their sirens, and especially their air horns, more sparingly (especially at night). The last few times that I have been in Manhattan I've noticed that they only give it a couple whirls at intersections, and otherwise leave it off.

The only way I can see them moving this station is because density in the area increased to the point where this small station couldn't handle things. With all the new buildings in the immediate area currently under construction or on the books, you're talking about adding about 25 high rises within 5 blocks of the station.

I also get bothered by all of the sirens, although I do appreciate the fact they are seeking to help those in need. I don't think we need fire trucks responding to all of these emergency calls. The money we spend on the fire dept is way too high, and a legacy of the past. If only they were not so politically popular, we could cut the fire department budget in half, and deal with fire related emergencies as well using other means, and different vehicles. But no one ever seems to question why we have fire trucks showing up when someone slips on a sidewalk, or minor accident. I've only seen the hoses out twice. Usually the guys suited up in hot/heavy gear don't even have to get out of the truck, before it leaves the scene to return to the station. okay, rant off.

Back