News   Jul 19, 2024
 799     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.5K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

From the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-first-step-into-real-estate/article23194119/

Overdue indeed, though they are probably just small fries compared to other choice sites. I don't think comparison with Hong Kong is appropriate however - one should temper their expectations.

AoD

The TTC and GO both should be real estate developers, just how they do in Asia. In Asia the actually own the land around their stations. They are then able to get a revenue stream from office and residential leases.

Unfortunately, there would be some who rather sell off that land for the immediate cash windfall. The only trouble is that once they used up all those funds, it's gone. We saw that with many of the city's properties being sold off for the immediate cash. See Envwave, which was owned by the city but sold for the cash.

From the Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-first-step-into-real-estate/article23194119/

Overdue indeed, though they are probably just small fries compared to other choice sites. I don't think comparison with Hong Kong is appropriate however - one should temper their expectations.

AoD

Hopefully if they have success with this, they can expand to orchestrating development of the massive parking lots surrounding many GO stations. There's enough land there to build entire communities around them. There's the potential there, if Metrolinx gets into the property management business, to generate some pretty significant income from those locations, which could in turn help subsidize the transit system. Transit-adjacent condos, apartments, and office space is at a premium, and if GO RER becomes a reality, could become even more desirable.

gweed:

Indeed. I think revenue from property development is nice, but it should be secondary to creating communities that would sustain long-term transit use. It would be interesting to see how they can insulate themselves from neighbourhood NIMBYism and move forward on these schemes.

AoD

gweed:

Indeed. I think revenue from property development is nice, but it should be secondary to creating communities that would sustain long-term transit use. It would be interesting to see how they can insulate themselves from neighbourhood NIMBYism and move forward on these schemes.

AoD

For Lakeshore West in particular, the stations are generally in industrial or commercial areas. They generally don't put up as much of a fight as residential areas when it comes to new development. Sites like Aldershot, Burlington, Appleby, Bronte, Oakville, and others like Bramalea and Oshawa would make great redevelopment sites.

You can build complexes of buildings where the ground floor is retail, the next few floors are GO parking, and above that are condominium, apartment, or office towers. Many of those parking lots are rectangular, so a central pedestrian boulevard with store frontage down the middle, with vehicular access on the outside of the sites I think would work very well.

For Lakeshore West in particular, the stations are generally in industrial or commercial areas. They generally don't put up as much of a fight as residential areas when it comes to new development. Sites like Aldershot, Burlington, Appleby, Bronte, Oakville, and others like Bramalea and Oshawa would make great redevelopment sites.

You can build complexes of buildings where the ground floor is retail, the next few floors are GO parking, and above that are condominium, apartment, or office towers. Many of those parking lots are rectangular, so a central pedestrian boulevard with store frontage down the middle, with vehicular access on the outside of the sites I think would work very well.

Cooksville is a prime property too.

Bramalea a great redevelopment site?

Ewww..

That area is significantly industrial. A condo complex was built there around a decade ago, but that's it. That area isn't prime for development.

Cooksville is a prime property too.

Agreed.

Ewww..

That area is significantly industrial. A condo complex was built there around a decade ago, but that's it. That area isn't prime for development.

Same could be said for any number of sites in areas that have been traditionally industrial areas. All of Liberty Village is in the middle of what was once industrial areas. Bramalea would have direct GO RER access, direct access to the 407, and pretty easy access to either the 410 or the 427. It would be pretty ideally located for a suburban location.

Response from the TTC - by Globe:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...kepticism-from-ttc-officials/article23208849/

I think it would be wise to heed the points mentioned. It's not a reason to say no - but don't expect miracles from it. I do take issue with this comment though:

“The parts of the city that have any kind of density on which you’re going to get big bucks for redevelopment are already developed,” Mr. Munro said. He noted that many stations on the Bloor-Danforth or Spadina subway lines, decades after being built, have attracted little development interest around them.

“NIMBYism hasn’t even had a chance to kick in,” he said, “because nobody’s standing there with a development proposal sign saying ‘coming soon.’”

The original Gothic Ave. High Park cluster and more recently Giraffe at Dundas West comes to mind. There is also Home condos by Context and One Old Mill by Tridel near Jane station NIMBYism (whether there is any justification or not) has reared its' head where the are attempts to densify.

AoD

Last edited:
Having a redevelopment project on the new Weston GO parking lot would go a long way to helping kick-start some market development in the area.

Ewww..

I am trying to place the condo development around Bramalea that you speak of....can't think of one.....where is it?

Same could be said for any number of sites in areas that have been traditionally industrial areas. All of Liberty Village is in the middle of what was once industrial areas. Bramalea would have direct GO RER access, direct access to the 407, and pretty easy access to either the 410 or the 427. It would be pretty ideally located for a suburban location.

Ideal for large office buildings perhaps, but residential development would not be as appropriate.

I am trying to place the condo development around Bramalea that you speak of....can't think of one.....where is it?

I think it's the one at Bramalea and Orenda? Not exactly at Bramalea and Steeles, but...
(They're also building a second tower on that site)

I think it's the one at Bramalea and Orenda? Not exactly at Bramalea and Steeles, but...
(They're also building a second tower on that site)

If that is the one it is a) as you said ot exactly at the station and b) not a condo (purpose built rental building by Medallion properties) and c) such a failure that they are buiding a phase II it now.

Condo at Bramalea GO is not going to happen......as you look around Brampton you can see that condos are few and far between and there are far better sites to build on thant that

Back