News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 379     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The Province currently has a policy in place preventing changing "Employment" lands to "Residential" lands, without their approval, which is almost impossible to get. Any land that shows up as Employment lands in any city's Official Plan will not be seeing any residential development without a very compelling argument.The Bramalea GO station area is within an Employment designation. It might be a place where there is an argument to be made for conversion, but what developer is going to take up that fight when there is a lot of other attractive sites available.

The Province currently has a policy in place preventing changing "Employment" lands to "Residential" lands, without their approval, which is almost impossible to get.
Seems to me that an awful lot of employment land had been converted to residential land in recent years. Drive north on Warden from Danforth to Eglinton.

Seems to me that an awful lot of employment land had been converted to residential land in recent years. Drive north on Warden from Danforth to Eglinton.

That land was converted to a residential designation in the Official Plan prior to the 2005 Provincial policy statement.

That land was converted to a residential designation in the Official Plan prior to the 2005 Provincial policy statement.

The site that we started this discussion (64 and 70 Bramalea Road) was zoned for offices up until 2011 or so.

The site that we started this discussion (64 and 70 Bramalea Road) was zoned for offices up until 2011 or so.

Zoning isn't the same as an Official Plan designation. There are lots of properties that are zoned for various employment uses that are not designated as "Employment" in a City's Official Plan. Employment lands are not allowed to have residential uses, but non-employment lands can have any type of use. The blue areas on the Brampton OP map are Employment" - http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Online-Se...ent/Official Plan/Schedule 1 City Concept.pdf)

And that isn't to say the some lands designated in an Official Plan as Employment lands can't be converted to non-employment, however it's a lengthy and expensive path that most developer's will avoid unless it is a very valuable piece of land. All-day two-way GO service to Bramalea might warrant considering converting some land near the station.

Last edited:
Zoning isn't the same as an Official Plan designation. There are lots of properties that are zoned for various employment uses that are not designated as "Employment" in a City's Official Plan. Employment lands are not allowed to have residential uses, but non-employment lands can have any type of use. The blue areas on the Brampton OP map are Employment" - http://www.brampton.ca/EN/Online-Se...ent/Official Plan/Schedule 1 City Concept.pdf)

And that isn't to say the some lands designated in an Official Plan as Employment lands can't be converted to non-employment, however it's a lengthy and expensive path that most developer's will avoid unless it is a very valuable piece of land. All-day two-way GO service to Bramalea might warrant considering converting some land near the station.

Yes...I understand and, yes, I was sloppy with the terminology ("zoning") but the attachment that you provide is as of 2013...I think if you could find a 2010/2011 version the property discussed was, very much, inside the employment lands area....and that a combination of developer/city/OMB changed that designation.

EDIT: turns out it was easier to find than I thought

http://www.brampton.ca/en/City-Hall/meetings-agendas/PDD Committee 2010/20110207pdd_F1.pdf one of the attachments shows an outline of the property and, yes, they were employment lands.

Last edited:
I thought I read a rumour a while back that Bombardier was going to use the first section of track completed in Waterloo for ion for testing the FLEXITY Freedom LRV's - has anyone heard anything more on that? Rails just showed up earlier this week and I wouldn't be surprised if by the fall there were sections with catenary up. If Crosstown is years away from ever reaching this point it only makes sense to ship a prototype set up our way for testing... that would be awesome.

I thought I read a rumour a while back that Bombardier was going to use the first section of track completed in Waterloo for ion for testing the FLEXITY Freedom LRV's - has anyone heard anything more on that? Rails just showed up earlier this week and I wouldn't be surprised if by the fall there were sections with catenary up. If Crosstown is years away from ever reaching this point it only makes sense to ship a prototype set up our way for testing... that would be awesome.
That's been the talk since IO cancelled the tender for the Conlins yards on Sheppard East. There's no alternative really, as there won't be any track in Toronto until long-after there's track in Waterloo.

It all makes sense; all the track that has been delivered to Waterloo so far has been along this stretch. What's IO?

Last edited:

Back