News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 993     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 370     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I really think Finch needs to have a name change. Whenever I hear Finch, to me it has a bad connotation.

Yeah, I know when I think of Yorkville, I still can't get the image of dirty hippies doing drugs in the street out of my head.
And we all know a name change for the slums of Cabbagetown when they were redeveloped in the 60's solved all of of that neighbourhood's problems!

Perceptions of neighbourhoods change over time. New names will not cause any change that wasn't going to happen anyway.

Yeah, I know when I think of Yorkville, I still can't get the image of dirty hippies doing drugs in the street out of my head.
And we all know a name change for the slums of Cabbagetown when they were redeveloped in the 60's solved all of of that neighbourhood's problems!

Perceptions of neighbourhoods change over time. New names will not cause any change that wasn't going to happen anyway.

True. If the area changes for the better, it will be the babies and toddlers of today that will find it a great place to live.

Getting OT - if one needs to have all the if/ands/buts on top of the name change to make the neighbourhood work, it's a pretty clear sign that it is the ifs/ands/buts that are effective, not the name change itself. Otherwise have already provided examples that illustrated that point (Regent Park will be probably be the same).

AoD

With the subway delays this morning, Eglinton station looked like Bloor.

I guess this is how its going to be when the Crosstown opens.

Yep.

Live directly inbetween Lawrence and Eglinton stations on Yonge and I will probably start backtracking to Lawrence when that thing opens to get a seat.

With the subway delays this morning, Eglinton station looked like Bloor.

I guess this is how its going to be when the Crosstown opens.

Instead of lining up to get on an overcrowded bus, then the bus sitting there in the bay for 5-10 min with doors open, then the bus spending 5 minutes just getting from the bus bay to Yonge-Eg, then spending 15 minutes in traffic & construction to Bayview, you'll be boarding an underground train with much higher capacity quickly zipping to Bayview in a tunnel.

When you head downtown you'll be waiting in a heated underground station instead of a bus shelter.

Of all people, I wouldn't expect you to be complaining about the Eglinton Crosstown being built ;)

When you head downtown you'll be waiting in a heated underground station instead of a bus shelter.
When did we start heating stations on the Yonge line?

I haven't really spent too much time at Eglinton station in the winter, but St. Clair is brutally cold.

Davisville too :)

Instead of lining up to get on an overcrowded bus, then the bus sitting there in the bay for 5-10 min with doors open, then the bus spending 5 minutes just getting from the bus bay to Yonge-Eg, then spending 15 minutes in traffic & construction to Bayview, you'll be boarding an underground train with much higher capacity quickly zipping to Bayview in a tunnel.

Of all people, I wouldn't expect you to be complaining about the Eglinton Crosstown being built ;)

Oh I am not complaining. Just observant of the fact that crowding at Yonge-Eglinton is going to be a concern at morning AM peak. Today seemed a taste of whats to come.

Hopefully I underestimate the number of people who will continue traveling west towards the Spadina line and things at Yonge-Eglinton will not be so bad. Then again, many people might also continue eastbound past Eglinton West, and we are adding so many more residents to Midtown.

As for me personally, by the time Eglinton opens, I will have graduated and likely moved out. My shot at commuting to school by subway on Eglinton died with Mike Harris. :p

The deeper a station is, the warmer it will be. Closer to the Earth's core.

Actually, the frost line in Toronto is about 4' or 1.25m. However, because of the colder weather this year, that frost line may go deeper. The earth acts like insulation, so that 1.25m is in all directions in a station, above, sideways, and below. Of course, the deeper the station, the most "insulation" there is above.

The heat generated by the trains (braking, heaters, etc.), booths, and body heat is what heats the stations.

The deeper a station is, the warmer it will be. Closer to the Earth's core.

Actually, the frost line in Toronto is about 4' or 1.25m. However, because of the colder weather this year, that frost line may go deeper. The earth acts like insulation, so that 1.25m is in all directions in a station, above, sideways, and below. Of course, the deeper the station, the most "insulation" there is above.

The heat generated by the trains (braking, heaters, etc.), booths, and body heat is what heats the stations.
Unless we are going down a few miles, surely the temperature in the station is going to be a function of the ventilation shafts - and on the Yonge line in particular, how far it is to the nearest portal.

Nadie espera que la solución española.
nobodyExpectsTheSpanishInquisition.jpg

Attachments

• nobodyExpectsTheSpanishInquisition.jpg
    nobodyExpectsTheSpanishInquisition.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 1,199

Back