News   May 03, 2024
 564     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 356     0 
News   May 03, 2024
 201     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I wonder if some of the north south bus routes that don't currently go up to Eglinton will be extended to reach the nearest LRT stop.

I wonder if some of the north south bus routes that don't currently go up to Eglinton will be extended to reach the nearest LRT stop.

They could have designed the Dufferin LRT station so that the 90 Vaughan (a frequent route, BTW) could serve it from the existing cul-de-sac area. That way the route would serve rapid transit at both ends and increase accessibility for users.

Unfortunately, it looks like the TTC designed many of their stations before figuring out how to redesign the surface network to better leverage the new LRT line.

They could have designed the Dufferin LRT station so that the 90 Vaughan (a frequent route, BTW) could serve it from the existing cul-de-sac area. That way the route would serve rapid transit at both ends and increase accessibility for users.

Unfortunately, it looks like the TTC designed many of their stations before figuring out how to redesign the surface network to better leverage the new LRT line.

It would be cool if underground bus bays could be installed at Dufferin/Eglinton for 90 Vaughan and a new split Dufferin routing. Nothing complex, just something similar to the Lawrence Stn bus terminal.

Could the Harperites pick up more votes in Toronto if they let us get rid of all the expensive secretive bureaucrats and construction crews at the TTC and Metrolinx and use our migrant worker program to import Chinese people to build some real trains in our life time? CPR 2.0?

If they used Canadian tax payer dollars to stimulate the Chinese economy? The secretive bureaucrats at Metrolinx who have their meetings on YouTube? I can understand your frustration with TTC construction crews, I don't think there is a schedule they have ever kept from real construction to fixing a broken door, but not sure why that translates to not wanting to pay Canadians a decent wage to work.

It would be cool if underground bus bays could be installed at Dufferin/Eglinton for 90 Vaughan and a new split Dufferin routing. Nothing complex, just something similar to the Lawrence Stn bus terminal.

That would count as a station "palace", similar to the stations they're building on the Spadina subway extension.

They could just turn the Vaughan Road cul-de-sac into a simple bus loop. I can't see that costing too much.

The area between the station building and Dufferin Street is going to be designed as an urban plaza/park which I think will be a relatively unique and exciting feature along the line. It will really make Dufferin and Eglinton stand out as a place people will want to be, which it certainly isn't now. That could create a little redevelopment boom in the neighbourhood much like what's happened along St.Clair.

Alternately, we could pave and fence off that plaza/park area and make it a bus turn-a-round so the handful of people riding the Vaughan bus don't have to walk an extra 50m.

The area between the station building and Dufferin Street is going to be designed as an urban plaza/park which I think will be a relatively unique and exciting feature along the line. It will really make Dufferin and Eglinton stand out as a place people will want to be, which it certainly isn't now. That could create a little redevelopment boom in the neighbourhood much like what's happened along St.Clair.

Alternately, we could pave and fence off that plaza/park area and make it a bus turn-a-round so the handful of people riding the Vaughan bus don't have to walk an extra 50m.

Charming.

The addition of small plaza that won't be very well maintained is hardly going to be the reason people flock to Duff/Eg. There's a large park just down the street, complete with pool, playing fields, and a community centre, so I don't think parkland is in short supply.

Charming.

The addition of small plaza that won't be very well maintained is hardly going to be the reason people flock to Duff/Eg. There's a large park just down the street, complete with pool, playing fields, and a community centre, so I don't think parkland is in short supply.

The people who will use this park are people who will just be sitting and taking in the sights or having a coffee. It is a completely different type of park than a park meant for sports or children. I could argue for the underground connection to a Vaughan streetcar or bus but I would not argue against more park land. At yonge and Eglinton they lost the land right in front of the mall to expansion and then they fought for postal k to become park land. Without places for people to sit or stroll places are not pedestrian friendly. I would like a community centre at Allen and Eglinton but that is just me....

Charming.

Parkland is in short supply, especially in that area. No one is going to go out of their way to get to the park you speak of. People already do congregate at the small parkette at Dufferin/Eglinton. Since it is being removed to build the station, it only makes sense that it be replaced. It's well used for the small space that it is.

And the space is actually pretty nicely maintained, so don't even pull that card.

Last edited:

There's probably room for both, you know.

Parkland is in short supply, especially in that area. No one is going to go out of their way to get to the park you speak of. People already do congregate at the small parkette at Dufferin/Eglinton. Since it is being removed to build the station, it only makes sense that it be replaced. It's well used for the small space that it is.

And the space is actually pretty nicely maintained, so don't even pull that card.

I've got to disagree with you. Living near there, I can state first hand that there is no shortage of park space. I can also say, more often than not, that space is empty. But that's all beside the point I made, which is that the cul-de-sac could be re-purposed as a small loop, which isn't part of the parkette.

I've got to disagree with you. Living near there, I can state first hand that there is no shortage of park space. I can also say, more often than not, that space is empty. But that's all beside the point I made, which is that the cul-de-sac could be re-purposed as a small loop, which isn't part of the parkette.

I also have first hand experience, as I lived there before moving downtown (Right behind No Frills). The parkette was always a meeting spot for friends and I, and there would always be others in the space. The water fountain was pretty effective at drowning out some of the sounds from the surrounding area, which made it a bit more pleasant.

I never said I disagreed with the loop idea. Just disagreed that the parkette/square wouldn't be needed, and wouldn't be maintained based on what exists now.

Back