News   Jul 15, 2024
 467     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 573     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2.1K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I don't know about that - the designs we have seen so far is clearly guided by certain design principles. I find the overall effect to be far more coherent than the TYSSE approach.

AoD

Where you see coherent, I'm seeing an unwillingness to invest in better design for the individual stations. And whatever design principles that are shown here, appear to be driven by cheapness.

All of the stations on the Crosstown appear to feature bare concrete platforms, and bare white walls. It feels like a real stretch to suggest that this design was motiviated by anything but cheapness.

Admittedly, there is still a lot that is unknown about the design. Simple designs can look fantastic depending on what finishing materials are used. And it appears that the platform design is still a work in progress, hence the generic art and design on the platform walls.

Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.21 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.30 AM.png
Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.40 AM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.21 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 270
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.30 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 277
  • Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.40 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-16 at 9.12.40 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 291
Art in Motion: Unveiling Public Art Projects at Crosstown Stations

TORONTO: January 16, 2018 – Six stations along the Eglinton Crosstown Light Rail Transit (LRT) line will feature public art by local and internationally renowned artists. Renderings of the eight public art projects were released today at a “pop-up art gallery” created by Metrolinx at the Ontario Science Centre, which will be home to one of the stations on the new Crosstown line when it is opens in 2021.

These eight art projects represent the first investment under Metrolinx’s new Integrated Art program, a professionally designed initiative to improve the transit experience for riders across the Metrolinx regional transit network. These art projects—as well as future public art programs that will be part of Metrolinx building projects—are an investment in new and improved public space for the communities Metrolinx serves.

“Public art in transit stations is an excellent way to improve the customer experience. Metrolinx knows that outstanding design, including integrated art for the public to enjoy, helps build ridership and community pride in their transit system.”

- Phil Verster, President and CEO, Metrolinx

“Integrating world-class art into projects like the Eglinton Crosstown shows the commitment Metrolinx has made to design excellence, enhancing the quality of public space, and improving the customer experience.”

- Leslie Woo, Chief Planning Officer, Metrolinx

The stations and artists from today’s announcement are:

Stations = Artists

Mount Dennis station = Hadley + Maxwell

Mount Dennis station = [emerging artist] – Sara Cwynar

Caledonia station = Janice Kerbel

Cedarvale station = Douglas Coupland

Eglinton station = Rodney LaTourelle with Louise Witthöft

Science Centre station = Sarah Morris

Kennedy station = Joseph Kosuth

Kennedy station = [emerging artist] – Dagmara Genda

The selected artists include world-renowned sculptors, photographers, video artists, painters and printmakers based in the GTHA, Canada, and around the world.

The 19-kilometre Eglinton Crosstown LRT, opening in 2021, will connect Mount Dennis Station in the west with Kennedy Station in the east, and includes a 10-kilometre underground portion between Keele Street and Laird Drive. The line will include 25 stations and stops that will link to bus routes, three subway stations, three GO Transit lines, and the Union Pearson Express. The Eglinton Crosstown is a $5.3 billion capital investment by the Government of Ontario to expand transit in Toronto.

For more information and renderings of the art concepts please visit: http://www.thecrosstown.ca/IntegratedArt

Last edited:
I saw this on a truck today:

IMG_0070.jpg

And yes, getting closer, that is indeed a Crosstown Flexity:

IMG_0071.jpg

I'm guessing it's easier to lift those cars without their trucks, unless these are the special "maglev" versions of the Flexity.

And I didn't realize that the Crosstown was going to extend to Montreal.

Attachments

• IMG_0070.jpg
    IMG_0070.jpg
    230.1 KB · Views: 368
  • IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    169.8 KB · Views: 378
I saw this on a truck today:

View attachment 132443

And yes, getting closer, that is indeed a Crosstown Flexity:

View attachment 132444

I'm guessing it's easier to lift those cars without their trucks, unless these are the special "maglev" versions of the Flexity.

And I didn't realize that the Crosstown was going to extend to Montreal.

We’re missing three-fiths of the train. Bombardier strikes again!

Do we know at this point whether the ROW is going to be concrete or grass? I don't think we ever came to a conclusion or ever found out what the decision was.

Grass would need to be watered, fertilized, weeded, and cut. There is no argument that it looks better, but I'm not sure it's worth the added maintenance expense.

Grass would need to be watered, fertilized, weeded, and cut. There is no argument that it looks better, but I'm not sure it's worth the added maintenance expense.

Water can come from the air-conditioning of the light rail vehicles and the vehicles themselves will cut the grass like a weed wacker.

Back