News   Jul 15, 2024
 340     1 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 504     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

If they could have the shelters at the outdoor stops cover the entire pedestrian platform, and create a barrier from passing traffic that would be good. Best would be if the tracks were covered as well, so that the snow and rain would have less accumulation.

dfwstation.jpg

From link.
So similar to the VMC Vivastation with fare gates but without elevators and escalators?

If they could have the shelters at the outdoor stops cover the entire pedestrian platform, and create a barrier from passing traffic that would be good. Best would be if the tracks were covered as well, so that the snow and rain would have less accumulation.

dfwstation.jpg

From link.

You don't even need to show renderings, we have a perfect example of high-quality shelters on the VIVA system that were built for an eventual change to LRT.

From link.

Elevated Guideway & West Portal

Elevated Guideway Piling

What Work is Taking Place?
  • Ongoing piling activities for construction of the abutments of the Elevated Guideway.
  • Work will be taking place between Keelesdale Park Drive and Black Creek Drive on the north side of Eglinton Avenue West.

Hours of Work

This work will occur between the hours of 7:00 a.m. and 11:00 p.m.

If overnight work is required, we will notify the public in advance and monitor activities throughout.

Work is expected to continue until late February 2018

Work may be rescheduled due to weather conditions or unforeseen circumstances.

west_portal_piling_jan_2018.jpg

What to Expect
  • Nearby businesses and residents can expect vibration and noise from a diesel hammer pile driving rig, a mobile crane and other construction equipment.
Traffic/Pedestrian Details
  • Black Creek Drive will be down to one northbound lane from the intersection at Eglinton Avenue West to the intersection at Todd Bayliss Drive.
  • Pedestrian access at the intersection and on the southside of Eglinton Avenue West will remain open.

west_portal_piling_jan_2018.jpg

Traffic/Pedestrian Details
  • Black Creek Drive will be down to one northbound lane from the intersection at Eglinton Avenue West to the intersection at Todd Bayliss Drive.
  • Pedestrian access at the intersection and on the southside of Eglinton Avenue West will remain open.

Are they joking? Black Creek down to 1 lane northbound? And 1 lane southbound until just before the intersection. It's going to be a disaster. I am surprised they didn't figure out how to do this build without closing down the road (it's not that long of a span).

I didn't even realize there was a sidewalk north of Eglinton on Black Creek. Wait. There isn't (per google street view). A gravel shoulder on one side and a 1 foot piece of asphalt on the other. How do the get this wrong? Did the person drawing the map ever go to this area?

Also, 3 eastbound through lanes becoming 2? That's highly unsafe, especially if traffic is moving fast.

Also, 3 eastbound through lanes becoming 2? That's highly unsafe, especially if traffic is moving fast.

The eastbound and westbound lanes on Eglinton Avenue already become one lane each way east of Weston Road under the bridges. So no problem.

It'll be Black Creek Drive becoming one lane northbound that will be the problem. Thankfully, only until the end of February.

I assume that they’ve left some details out the drawing. This isn’t an engineering drawing, after all.

However I haven’t been impressed with the temporary lane configurations along the Crosstown route. The temporary lanes are often faded or non existent, and they’ve frequently failed to remove old lane markings.

A few months ago, I saw a collision happen at Avenue and Eglinton. I can hardly blame the drivers involved. There were two conflictaing lane markings on the roadway (one instructing drivers to go straight, and the other telling them to merge into the next lane), and I figured it would only be a matter of time before a crash happened.

dfwstation.jpg

From link.[/

Even half of this rendering would have been acceptable. Either barriers or larger canopies

A quick question, are interconnecting Go Station improvements being built as part of the Crosstown or as seperate projects? I.e. will we be able to ride the UP to Mount Dennis or transfer to a new Kennedy/Caledonia station upon or closely after opening?
Yes. And yes. They are separate projects with separate contractors, but the intention is that they open shortly after the Crosstown Line.

Probably better connections than the current GO/TTC connections at Dundas West Subway/Bloor GO, Leslie Subway/Oriole GO, and Main Street Subway/Danforth GO.
The Crosstown Line will have better access to UPX/KW lines than the 89 bus.

Come 2021, TTC will have better access to UPX/KW lines for Dundas Subway, but still a walking trip for buses and streetcars riders, but better than it is today.

The other 2 still requires long walks, but Oriole should be closers to the Leslie Subway than today. Metrolinx needs to get some glass's to see how to do it right.

While waiting inside a Highway 7 Viva stop, I just couldn't help thinking about how poorly designed the Crosstown stops are when it comes to protection from the elements. Especially in winter. I took a browse at one of the Crosstown presentations where it covered the on street stop designs and had a good chuckle at the explanation of the protection it will offer.

I wish good luck to those who have to brace -15C and lower with windchill. Even the humble TTC bus shelters with 3/4 enclosure are more comforting.

What Metrolinx should do is put the designer-consultants out there on the street and have them wait for the estimated Crosstown frequency. This simulation should knock some sense into their heads.

While waiting inside a Highway 7 Viva stop, I just couldn't help thinking about how poorly designed the Crosstown stops are when it comes to protection from the elements. Especially in winter. I took a browse at one of the Crosstown presentations where it covered the on street stop designs and had a good chuckle at the explanation of the protection it will offer.

I wish good luck to those who have to brace -15C and lower with windchill. Even the humble TTC bus shelters with 3/4 enclosure are more comforting.

What Metrolinx should do is put the designer-consultants out there on the street and have them wait for the estimated Crosstown frequency. This simulation should knock some sense into their heads.
Or they could heat lamps on all sides of the shelter, including the ground and walls. :p

Yes, I know there were discussions on how they need to be monitored/secured to prevent tampering or homeless, but I don’t see how that can’t be solved.

Back