News   Jul 15, 2024
 447     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 556     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

But please no graffiti. Then again, maybe getting the graffiti artists do the art for the at-grade stops, the portals, and bridge supports would help stop the non-commissioned "art".

Think Line 4 stations. But artistic graffiti at designated spots could be a good idea. Or even "King of Kowloon" style graffiti.

This is the Line 2 colour pattern and palette, which gets accused by some of being ugly or bathroom-y. Is an all white tile design - what we appear to be getting with Crosstown - preferable? In 20-30yrs will it be timeless and coherent, or boring and even more bathroom-y? Frankly I think Crosstown could do with a sprinkling of Line 2-ness (e.g a unique stripe for each station).

2359481647_a9861a45b2_o.jpg

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2016/02/25/subway-modern-at-50/

Then again, maybe getting the graffiti artists do the art for the at-grade stops, the portals, and bridge supports would help stop the non-commissioned "art".

A quick trip to Underpass Park by those in charge would have this mandated. Prevents graffiti, and looks stunning. Wouldn't be surprised if the City does this with any underpasses along Eglinton. And agree with Junctionist that the stops should have something like St Clair or KW LRT. Costs very little and goes a long way.

I'm surprised that just 6 stations will have public art. That hardly seems enough to meet their self-professed goal of a "high-quality public realm". Some of the surface stops could use art, too, like the interesting pieces along the 512 streetcar line.

We could trade in the art for just having tiled outer platform walls at all the stations and not having a repeat of the unfinished looking TYSSE station walls.

This is the Line 2 colour pattern and palette, which gets accused by some of being ugly or bathroom-y. Is an all white tile design - what we appear to be getting with Crosstown - preferable? In 20-30yrs will it be timeless and coherent, or boring and even more bathroom-y? Frankly I think Crosstown could do with a sprinkling of Line 2-ness (e.g a unique stripe for each station).

2359481647_a9861a45b2_o.jpg

http://spacing.ca/toronto/2016/02/25/subway-modern-at-50/

A quick trip to Underpass Park by those in charge would have this mandated. Prevents graffiti, and looks stunning. Wouldn't be surprised if the City does this with any underpasses along Eglinton. And agree with Junctionist that the stops should have something like St Clair or KW LRT. Costs very little and goes a long way.

Metrolinx had better be using TTC font on those stations. I swear if I see even the slightest hint of Helvetica...:mad:

Grass would need to be watered, fertilized, weeded, and cut. There is no argument that it looks better, but I'm not sure it's worth the added maintenance expense.

Any grassologists here? I wonder if the constant movement of the trains would trim, or otherwise regulate the height of the grass.

Grass would need to be watered, fertilized, weeded, and cut. There is no argument that it looks better, but I'm not sure it's worth the added maintenance expense.
Then there is the question of if snow removal equipment has to be used on it, that's one of the reasons why when they need to replace the concrete between the rails on Spadina they don't stamp it with the cobblestone pattern anymore.

Then there is the question of if snow removal equipment has to be used on it, that's one of the reasons why when they need to replace the concrete between the rails on Spadina they don't stamp it with the cobblestone pattern anymore.

Why don't they stamp it with the cobblestone pattern anymore? It's not like the cobblestones are going to be damaged. It's still a slab of concrete, but with a decorative pattern on the surface.

Why don't they stamp it with the cobblestone pattern anymore? It's not like the cobblestones are going to be damaged. It's still a slab of concrete, but with a decorative pattern on the surface.
It gets made a mess of by snow plows in the winter it just gets scrapped up and worn down really quickly. With grass, if you had to use snowplow equipoment on it it would be all torn up each winter.

Some snowplows don't let the blade scrape the ground. They sometimes raise the blade to be about 2.5 cm (1") off the pavement. The city doesn't start plowing bus and streetcar routes until 5 cm has fallen. See link.

Plows for light rail really only needed near stops or stations or track switches.

Last edited:
Some snowplows don't let the blade scrape the ground. They sometimes raise the blade to be about 2.5 cm (1") off the pavement. The city doesn't start plowing bus and streetcar routes until 5 cm has fallen. See link.

Plows for light rail really only needed near stops or stations or track switches.

This is my favourite kind of snow plow. I hope we can utilize it on the Crosstown:

This may be closer to reality than we think. Those tiny little Crosstown platform structures on rainy days as large trucks barrel through the puddles.....l.

- Paul

Back