News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 954     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The average stop spacing is nowhere near Bloor Danforth Subway in the Eastern Leg. It's far more frequent in an area that doesn't nearly warrant it with low density and commercial activity.

I think the failure to resisting the pressure to add some of those stops and not burying the overall line itself was a critical mistake that'll haunt such projects for decades to come.

I should have said "similar to the central section of BD subway".

Eglinton East (Yonge to Kennedy, http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project): 11.5 km / 15 stops, average distance 767 m.

BD subway, Yonge to Victoria Park: 8.5 km / 11 stops, average distance 773 m.

However, BD subway gets a big boost when the last two stops are included, they add about 5 km to the mileage and the average distance increases to 1,038 m.

I should have said "similar to the central section of BD subway".

Eglinton East (Yonge to Kennedy, http://www.thecrosstown.ca/the-project): 11.5 km / 15 stops, average distance 767 m.

BD subway, Yonge to Victoria Park: 8.5 km / 11 stops, average distance 773 m.

However, BD subway gets a big boost when the last two stops are included, they add about 5 km to the mileage and the average distance increases to 1,038 m.

Obviously you need to include the last two stops as that's the area where the LRT's stop spacing becomes extra-frequent.

Obviously you need to include the last two stops as that's the area where the LRT's stop spacing becomes extra-frequent.

OK for the bragging rights, perhaps "obviously need to".

But in practice for the rider's experience, I don't believe removing 2 or 3 less used stops on Eglinton East would make a noticeable improvement. Perhaps that would slice 3 to 5 min off a typical trip (and then, only for those who actually travel through that section; no diff at all for someone who boards at Science Centre and goes towards Yonge).

But in practice for the rider's experience, I don't believe removing 2 or 3 less used stops on Eglinton East would make a noticeable improvement.

It won't make that big of an impact for a single rider in a single, but when you aggregate and quantify the unnecessary delay with no additional benefit over time for thousand of riders, it has economic impact.

Perhaps that would slice 3 to 5 min off a typical trip (and then, only for those who actually travel through that section; no diff at all for someone who boards at Science Centre and goes towards Yonge).

There's no forced transfer between at grade and below grade portions of this line so the slowness of the at grade portion will negatively impact the entire line, since there's no express rail.

the frequencies are double on the underground portion - which will allow them to mitigate the impacts of any minor service unreliability of the surface portions. Either way I don't expect serious impacts on service reliability.

October 3, 2017

Open House Meeting: Keelesdale Station, West Portal & Elevated Guideway

See link.

October 11, 2017

Open House Meeting: Mount Dennis Station, Railway Corridor and Eglinton Maintenance and Storage Facility

See link.

Both:

6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m.

York Memorial Collegiate Institute

2690 Eglinton Avenue West

• what construction is happening in your neighbourhood
  • why it needs to happen
  • how it may impact you
  • who to contact if you have questions/concerns
  • when construction is happening
  • progress photos and informational videos

cts_map_openhouse_keelesdale_open_house_directions.jpg

I'm assuming that the Eglinton Avenue West roadway will now shift southwards over the west portal. Better get your "before" pictures.

From the June, 2017 meeting, see link:

caledonia-station-west-portal-and-elevated-guideway-open-house-21-638.jpg

caledonia-station-west-portal-and-elevated-guideway-open-house-22-638.jpg

caledonia-station-west-portal-and-elevated-guideway-open-house-23-638.jpg

caledonia-station-west-portal-and-elevated-guideway-open-house-20-638.jpg

Last edited:
I started getting questions when this construction notice appeared. From link:

Road Resurfacing on Eglinton Avenue West from Martin Grove Road to Jane Street

Expected Start Date: September 18, 2017
Expected End Date: June 30, 2018
*Timeline is subject to change. Future notice to be provided.

The City of Toronto will resurface Eglinton Avenue West, from 100 metres east of Martin Grove Road, to Jane Street. Our inspection of the
road shows that it needs repaving and sections of damaged curb and sidewalk need to be replaced to bring them to a state of good repair. A new sidewalk will be added on the north side of Eglinton between Jane and Scarlett Road.

This work is part of the Council-approved 2017 Capital Works Program to renew aging city roads and sidewalk for current and future needs.
Eglinton West repaving.jpg
My question is "Why?". Why, if Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke could be used for a light rail extension from Mt. Dennis to the Pearson Airport? I might understand it if they putting in a median for the future right-of-way, but it seems to be a waste to only repave the roadway surface now, then having to be dug up for the right-of-way in a few years. Aren't there other roadways in worse condition in Toronto that needs repaving?

Attachments

• Eglinton West repaving.jpg
    Eglinton West repaving.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 291
Why do we need to give out bike lanes like opera did with cars? Can't we have a major street without them anymore?
Because Eglinton is slated to have bike lanes between Mt. Dennis and Kennedy? It makes sense to extend them into Etobicoke.

The average stop spacing is nowhere near Bloor Danforth Subway in the Eastern Leg. It's far more frequent in an area that doesn't nearly warrant it with low density and commercial activity.

I think the failure to resisting the pressure to add some of those stops and not burying the overall line itself was a critical mistake that'll haunt such projects for decades to come.

I think it is time for this map to be posted again.

Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png

Scarborough is big. The stop spacing is fine.

(Unless you are referring to the stretch between Don Mills and Victoria Park, I too would remove one of Ferrand / Wynford)

Attachments

• Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png
    Crosstown-East_Stop_distance.png
    103.9 KB · Views: 674

Back