News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 952     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I wish Sheppard East wasn't built and instead there was an extension of Finch West to Morningside and Finch.

There isn't much correlation between those two projects. Finch LRT can be extended to become Finch Crostown, even with the Sheppard subway in place between Yonge and Don Mills.

I too think if Sheppard wants to wait till the second coming for a subway that finch should use its funds to expand east

Yes, I believe that's a sensible course of action. Finch LRT extension will be met with much less debate than any solution for Sheppard. More km of tracks can be built for a given amount of funding.

Last but not least, once the Finch Crosstown line is in place, any temporary closure of the Sheppard subway (should we wish to convert it) will be less painful.

That too and there are no transfers require anywhere from Humber College to Morningside. Its just a straight route unlike the planned SELRT.

I'm curious, what is it they are doing on Eglinton East in the at-grade portion of the line?

They removed the concrete median separating the eastbound lanes from the westbound lanes for a long stretch of Eglinton east. However, now they are filling in the hole left behind with asphalt. Or at least partially filling it in, leaving it looks like about an inch or two between the top of that new asphalt to the road surface.

I am just curious what this is for, and what the plan is going forward. Are they going to level all this out to road surface level, to allow for changing the lane configuration, for example to temporarily run a lane over where the median used to be?
Voltz's post of a video from Metrolinx touches upon this:

I'm curious, what is it they are doing on Eglinton East in the at-grade portion of the line?

They removed the concrete median separating the eastbound lanes from the westbound lanes for a long stretch of Eglinton east. However, now they are filling in the hole left behind with asphalt. Or at least partially filling it in, leaving it looks like about an inch or two between the top of that new asphalt to the road surface.

I am just curious what this is for, and what the plan is going forward. Are they going to level all this out to road surface level, to allow for changing the lane configuration, for example to temporarily run a lane over where the median used to be?

I don't remember where I saw this posted, but Metrolinx said said somewhere that they would first be widening the street on one side, and then the other, which would require shifting traffic away from the side where work is taking place.

Wouldn't that completely mess up the traffic on the N-S arterials?

IMO, the Eastern leg design is good enough. The average stop spacing will be similar to BD subway, and the speed will be close to that or only slightly lower.

In the West, they should explore the options of fully grade-separating intersections where such separation can be done relatively cheap.

It doesnt kill them in Calgary - plenty of at grade crossings in the system. The whole thing becomes a mess when the lines merge downtown and are controlled by Traffic lights.

I don't remember where I saw this posted, but Metrolinx said said somewhere that they would first be widening the street on one side, and then the other, which would require shifting traffic away from the side where work is taking place.
Yes, since my previous post, the centre portion where the median was is now exactly level with the rest of the road. As suspected, they filled in the prior remaining 1-3" depth with a second layer of asphalt. So now they will be able to shift lanes at will. So it's not about moving utilities then? Or perhaps it's a bit of both.

However, they haven't done anything with the bridge yet. Still had the median last I looked last week.

IMG_6184.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_6184.JPG
    IMG_6184.JPG
    533.4 KB · Views: 251
Wouldn't that completely mess up the traffic on the N-S arterials?

IMO, the Eastern leg design is good enough. The average stop spacing will be similar to BD subway, and the speed will be close to that or only slightly lower.

In the West, they should explore the options of fully grade-separating intersections where such separation can be done relatively cheap.

The average stop spacing is nowhere near Bloor Danforth Subway in the Eastern Leg. It's far more frequent in an area that doesn't nearly warrant it with low density and commercial activity.

I think the failure to resisting the pressure to add some of those stops and not burying the overall line itself was a critical mistake that'll haunt such projects for decades to come.

Back