News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 946     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 359     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It might not be as flashy as a Subway but for the most part it will get the job done. I always wanted my first car to be a Ferrari. But then I realized that what mattered most was getting from point A to B. Ferraris are for people who have the money for them upfront or have no problem paying giant bills.

This was the branding for LRTs/TransitCity and we're getting a Scarbrough Subway instead. It doesn't work.

"For the most part it will get the job done" is streetcar rhetoric and it doesn't elicit public enthusiasm / political support. If this is your message marketing won't help no matter how expensive.

I am not a marketer but the lrt will have a smoother ride, more spacing between stops compared to buses creating higher speeds, will carry more passengers than a bus,will be in their own lane so will not be impacted by traffic and would be quicker to access on a street versus multiple stairs or broken esculators to a subway. I forgot that it is substantially cheaper than a subway meaning expansion is easier then costly subways and more routes can take advantage of it. There are plenty of advantages but it wasn't marketed well while the anti subway crowd was able to play off the fears of slow streetcars.

The bare-bones surface design is a problem, and I say that as someone who fully supports the Crosstown LRT. I'm not saying we need to have as extravagant shelters as Viva, but there needs to be at least a little something the public can get excited about. The underground stops are getting sleek entrances and landscaped plazas. Even such a small thing as referring to the surface stops as "stations" instead of "stops" can contribute to changing people's perceptions.

The bare-bones surface design is a problem, and I say that as someone who fully supports the Crosstown LRT. I'm not saying we need to have as extravagant shelters as Viva, but there needs to be at least a little something the public can get excited about. The underground stops are getting sleek entrances and landscaped plazas. Even such a small thing as referring to the surface stops as "stations" instead of "stops" can contribute to changing people's perceptions.

... its all Calgary LRT on the inside and Toronto streetcar on the outside. I wonder why they wont do full LRT in the median with crossing arms instead of traffic lights... which would allow the trains to always have right away.

... its all Calgary LRT on the inside and Toronto streetcar on the outside. I wonder why they wont do full LRT in the median with crossing arms instead of traffic lights... which would allow the trains to always have right away.

Wouldn't that completely mess up the traffic on the N-S arterials?

IMO, the Eastern leg design is good enough. The average stop spacing will be similar to BD subway, and the speed will be close to that or only slightly lower.

In the West, they should explore the options of fully grade-separating intersections where such separation can be done relatively cheap.

Something needs to be done about the poor state lane markings along the Crosstown route.

For example, if you travel to Eglinton at Allen Road, one of the road markings literally directs drivers into a concrete wall. For months are Eglinton and Avenue, the eastbound lane markings erraneously directed drivers into oncoming traffic. Crews seemingly reconfigured this intersection, and laid down new lane markings, without erasing the old markings. And for much of the route, the lane markings are completely illegible, especially at night or when it's raining. I'm concerned someone is going to end up getting hurt cuz of these haphazard road reconfigurations.

It might not be as flashy as a Subway but for the most part it will get the job done. I always wanted my first car to be a Ferrari. But then I realized that what mattered most was getting from point A to B. Ferraris are for people who have the money for them upfront or have no problem paying giant bills.
I always thought that the public wanted a dodge minivan and transit city gave them a Ford Focus. Essentially, grade separated was nominally more cost but much more convenient - like the minivan. Of course I am referring to the elevated option that Metrolinx canned, but was touted here and by Michael Schabas (although a bit too late, because he waited to pry data from Metrolinx before releasing his report - which took about 18 months).
It was really the backroom work of the "subway champions" that introduced the Ferrari .

sounds similar as to not keeping scores at soccer games for kids so they all win

Back