News   Jul 12, 2024
 792     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 715     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Museum is on Queen's Park Crescent.
Ah, your right. I always thought that was Avenue Road from the circle north to Bloor; but it is Avenue Road. Never knew that

I guess Queens Park and Museum are so prominent that the stations make sense. Osgoode Hall is relatively prominent, but hidden behind locked gates and trees, so never seems as important - Opera House might be a better name today. St. Patrick street is a bit of a walk from St. Patrick station ... and also runs as close to Osgoode station. It's supposed to be named for St. Patrick church on McCaul street ... but that's even further away ... and quite frankly very forgettable. I'd think it would be more appropriate to call it Art Gallery these days ... or is it the old ward or parish that hasn't existed for years.

St. Andrew is named for St. Andrew's church on King/Simcoe street - almost as forgettable - though at least closer and a significant structure.

I'm not suggesting we should change the names at this point ... just that until I became very familiar with that part of Toronto, I never could keep them straight.

One possibility too is when we get the automated "next station" prompts (both visual and auditory), one way to avoid confusion would be to have the prompt read or say "Next Station: Osgoode Station, Queen Street West at University Avenue", or "Next Station: Science Centre Station, Eglinton Avenue East at Don Mills Rd, exit here for Ontario Science Centre". Listing both streets would come in particularly handy for lines that don't necessarily travel under the same street for their entire length (ex: the Spadina line).

Side note: Adding in major tourist attractions into those prompts may also help too. "Exit here for Casa Loma". It may also help locals learn where some of these spots are too :p.

That would be great. The London Underground does this. It's helpful.

How about numbering the lines to the public? The lines are already numbered (1 being YUS, 2 being BD, 3 being SRT (and the Crosstown as well), and 4 being Sheppard). For example, Victoria Park station can be called Victoria Park (2) for the one on Bloor-Danforth, Victoria Park (3) for the one on Eglinton, and Victoria Park (4) for the one on Sheppard? However, there will be a problem for some who will realize that there is no Victoria Park (1) station.

Alternatively, how about numbering each station? However, there will be a problem with extensions.

I am just bringing up suggestions.

Last edited:
How about numbering the lines to the public? The lines are already numbered (1 being YUS, 2 being BD, 3 being SRT (and the Crosstown as well), and 4 being Sheppard). For example, Victoria Park station can be called Victoria Park (2) for the one on Bloor-Danforth, Victoria Park (3) for the one on Eglinton, and Victoria Park (4) for the one on Sheppard? However, there will be a problem for some who will realize that there is no Victoria Park (1) station.

Alternatively, how about numbering each station? However, there will be a problem with extensions.

I am just bringing up suggestions.

If we were going to number each line, I would like to see a Berlin-style prefix added in front of each line, to tell you what kind of line it is. I would go with E for Express Rail (Electrified GO network), S for Subway, L for LRT, and B for BRT. So the Lakeshore line would be E1, with the YUS subway being S1. At least with that you can gather immediately what network you're talking about, and know the characteristics of that network.

Ah, your right. I always thought that was Avenue Road from the circle north to Bloor; but it is Avenue Road. Never knew that

I guess Queens Park and Museum are so prominent that the stations make sense. Osgoode Hall is relatively prominent, but hidden behind locked gates and trees, so never seems as important - Opera House might be a better name today. St. Patrick street is a bit of a walk from St. Patrick station ... and also runs as close to Osgoode station. It's supposed to be named for St. Patrick church on McCaul street ... but that's even further away ... and quite frankly very forgettable. I'd think it would be more appropriate to call it Art Gallery these days ... or is it the old ward or parish that hasn't existed for years.

St. Andrew is named for St. Andrew's church on King/Simcoe street - almost as forgettable - though at least closer and a significant structure.

Both St. Patrick and St. Andrew are named after their former city wards.

And Osgoode Hall is behind locked gates? Perhaps for private automobiles. For pedestrians it's wide open and a fantastic oasis in the city.

Just looking at Chicago again...why can't we finally call our lines by their colours and then name the stations as such?

For example...
Don Mills-Blue and Don Mills-Purple
Dufferin-Green and Dufferin-Blue
Victoria Park-Green, Victoria Park-Blue, Victoria Park-Purple

I think this is probably the best system to use. The "Yellow Line" stations can stay the same since changing the station names to this system wouldn't do any good (Finch-Yellow vs Finch-Yellow?)

If there is a time to put this system into place, it is now...since the E-W subway lines are ready to begin construction and the current Sheppard Line did not add any "North" stations to it...

Chicago used to use names for their subways then finally chose colours...ours would be Yellow, Green, Blue, and Purple Lines...Simple...sounds good to me...

And Osgoode Hall is behind locked gates? Perhaps for private automobiles. For pedestrians it's wide open and a fantastic oasis in the city.
I haven't spent much time around it ... but I've walked past the corner of Queen and University coming and going from the subway (from the west), and all I've seen is the 8-foot high iron fence with spikes on top to stop people climbing it. Looked like they wanted to keep people out - so I've never tried to go in (but as I've said, I don't spend much time around there). Not very welcoming ...

I haven't spent much time around it ... but I've walked past the corner of Queen and University coming and going from the subway (from the west), and all I've seen is the 8-foot high iron fence with spikes on top to stop people climbing it. Looked like they wanted to keep people out - so I've never tried to go in (but as I've said, I don't spend much time around there). Not very welcoming ...

That fence goes way back, to the late 1800's and are Victorian in style. I also recall someone telling me that the odd entrance gates, where you have to walk around a U shaped gate, was designed to prevent cattle from entering the Osgood Hall grounds.

But on the inside its an nice wide open area with a very nice historic building. The trees and fence do a good job of hiding it.

But on the inside its an nice wide open area with a very nice historic building. The trees and fence do a good job of hiding it.
Excellent! Learn something new every day ... I'll have to check it out, now that I don't think they'll be prosecuting me if I enter. Looks a much better space for a toddler than that dreadful concrete jungle next door to the east!

Now back to our regularly scheduled debate.

ON page 7 of the METROLINX report it says that Keele will be a "TERMINAL STATION." WHat does that mean? maybe I am just too tired to think!

There's a mention in there that there may be a phased opening.

Also which stations make the cut is still up in the air.

When the Eglinton Crosstown line is done I think it'll be the biggest improvement to transit in Toronto in our generation (unless the DRL gets built too, or if GO Transit turns into a S-Bahn type service).

Last edited:

Back