News   Jul 12, 2024
 724     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 668     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 295     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

To support putting the LRT underground east of Laird, the city will have to allow high density along the corridor. That means no more single-level, single-use use buildings. No buildings below 10 stories in height and the gradual disappearance of the parking lots around Eglinton East.

Gets my stamp of approval.

Agreed. They'll need to do some pretty extensive upgrades to Eglinton-Yonge though in order to handle the transfer demand. Maybe a Union-style 2nd platform? Or go really big and do Toronto's first 3 platform station (build 1 on each side). That way the in and out movements can be separated, speeding up the transfer process. The LRT platform underneath would need to have a larger centre median platform than most other stations as well.

Just going to put this out there since nobody has yet to do it...

A) Why do we need a person inside the train if it is going to be entirely automated? Is not the main point of automation the advantage of saving labour costs? Once we put them in they will be there forever like today's SRT

B) Anyone notice how the station designs do not have fare controlled areas. This would mean metrolinx is adament in pushing POP. Hats of to them!

Last edited:
A) Why do we need a person inside the train if it is going to be entirely automated? Is not the main point of automation the advantage of saving labour costs? Once we put them in they will be there forever like today's SRT

Mostly handling emergencies as the emergency strip is hit a number of times per day. There will also be days when the automation fails and manual intervention is required. You will find that most high capacity automated lines still have a person onboard who are trained to drive the train.

I would like to see the train driver become more along the lines of a special constable (fare enforcement and limited EMT) who also happens to be able to deal with some train issues (taking it out of service, stop & creep past a broken signal, etc.).

I've been on a couple of Vancouver trains where the door wouldn't close because someone was holding the train for a friend for ~5 minutes. Having a person nearby with some authority who can force them in or out of the train would have helped significantly. Another fun thing to do in Vancouver is to shove an empty cardboard box (waxed veggy boxes are pretty solid) into the door on an empty train at a very low volume station. It can take 15 to 20 minutes for someone to be dispatched and move it out of the way.

Mostly handling emergencies as the emergency strip is hit a number of times per day. There will also be days when the automation fails and manual intervention is required. You will find that most high capacity automated lines still have a person onboard who are trained to drive the train.

I would like to see the train driver become more along the lines of a special constable (fare enforcement and limited EMT) who also happens to be able to deal with some train issues (taking it out of service, stop & creep past a broken signal, etc.).

I've been on a couple of Vancouver trains where the door wouldn't close because someone was holding the train for a friend for ~5 minutes. Having a person nearby with some authority who can force them in or out of the train would have helped significantly. Another fun thing to do in Vancouver is to shove an empty cardboard box (waxed veggy boxes are pretty solid) into the door on an empty train at a very low volume station. It can take 15 to 20 minutes for someone to be dispatched and move it out of the way.

Fine so keep them in rush hours and have it unmanned during off-peak periods...I don't think every single train from ~5am to ~1am needs a person on board. Automated should be put to full use. I think even if some times delays happen for stupid reasons, i think overall the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I do agree though that if they are put to use as POP checkers throughout the train ride, that would then be a good use of having someone on board...They would basically be doing two jobs...Fare Collector & Train Operator!

Toronto has to Severely change its employment model for transit because the current system is ass-backwards and a huge drain on revenues...more POP and automated fare gates is the way to go. Start by eliminating fare collectors from low volume stations like Bessarion in off-peak periods and putting in fare barriers. Presto will surely help with this process more...using a phased approach, soon the entire TTC can have unmanned stations across the network.

Let the TTC focus its employer resources on real needs like driving buses or maintenance instead of having overpriced fare watchers...

Fine so keep them in rush hours and have it unmanned during off-peak periods...I don't think every single train from ~5am to ~1am needs a person on board. Automated should be put to full use. I think even if some times delays happen for stupid reasons, i think overall the benefits outweigh the negatives.

I do agree though that if they are put to use as POP checkers throughout the train ride, that would then be a good use of having someone on board...They would basically be doing two jobs...Fare Collector & Train Operator!

Toronto has to Severely change its employment model for transit because the current system is ass-backwards and a huge drain on revenues...more POP and automated fare gates is the way to go. Start by eliminating fare collectors from low volume stations like Bessarion in off-peak periods and putting in fare barriers. Presto will surely help with this process more...using a phased approach, soon the entire TTC can have unmanned stations across the network.

Let the TTC focus its employer resources on real needs like driving buses or maintenance instead of having overpriced fare watchers...

They could keep the trains clean of loose newspapers, candy bar wrappers, vagrants, drunks, mischief-makers, lost souls, accura407, etc..

Last edited:
They could keep the trains clean of loose newspapers, candy bar wrappers, vagrants, drunks, mischief-makers, lost souls, accura407, etc..

Yeah Real Mature... But then again What to expect from a child that cries horror every time gas prices rise by a penny! "OH NO ITS THE END OF THE WORLD"

To support putting the LRT underground east of Laird, the city will have to allow high density along the corridor. That means no more single-level, single-use use buildings. No buildings below 10 stories in height and the gradual disappearance of the parking lots around Eglinton East.

I was thinking the same thing.

How the hell does it take 3 years to transfer the SkyTrain over to LRT?
Vancouver will be building it's entire NEW 11 km Evergreen SkyTrain route in 3 years and Calgary;s new 8km West LRT is being built in 3 years.

Will the line be built to allow for subway trains to be used in the future if demand warrants it? Which I'm sure it will at some point!

How the hell does it take 3 years to transfer the SkyTrain over to LRT?
Vancouver will be building it's entire NEW 11 km Evergreen SkyTrain route in 3 years and Calgary;s new 8km West LRT is being built in 3 years.

The Evergreen line isn't even funded! That line isn't going to be built in 3 years.

As a matter a fact that province recently reaffirmed that the entire line will open by 2014.
Calgary's new grade separated West LRT is taking a total of 3 years to construct.

The minister said he was optimistic work can begin on the line. 2 days after that, the Mayor's council said there is no funding commitment, and they are adamant the funds are not coming from property taxes. Even if the project breaks ground this year, it is not going to take only 2.5 years to build an 11km line, no matter what you think.

Back