News   Jul 12, 2024
 821     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 743     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 313     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The TTC could always just copy their god system the NYCMTA, and create more ambiguity. :p

What I think is that they will just copy the NYCMTA, and whenever they reference the stop they'll reference the line as well.

Maybe that's how we deal with naming rights. We leave the Danforth station as Victoria Park, and we call the new Eglinton line station "Kentucky Fried Chicken" and the new Sheppard line station "Coffee Time" - assuming we can hit them up for a few $million each.

It's a few million over decade and you need to give up all other advertising in the station. The full station sponsorships get about $40,000 per month at a location like Eglinton. So, $480,000 per year minus the normal $150,000 of normal advertising revenue as the deal would be exclusivity for the station. This amount of revenue is in line with the Philadelphia deal.

It's under 25 cents per passenger (system wide) per year (assumption that the average passenger takes 104 trips per year), less than one cent for every 4 trips.

A station like Dundas West would be a fraction of this. Bloor/Yonge might get $1M per year but the current advertising revenue is higher than Eglinton there are the moment.

I think the city could get significantly more money by renaming the DVP for a 10 year period provided traffic announcers and mapping systems (Google Maps) used the new official name.

This idea isn't much different than California cities like San Francisco turning off street lights after 11pm because locals won't pay the $3 per year on their taxes to keep them on. It wasn't exactly inspiring to me as a tourist to the point where I cut two weeks off my visit and spent it in Seattle instead.

Last edited:
Well then its the TTC thats causing confusion.. Should they rename Don Mills to Fairview then? This would allow them to name don mills and Eglinton, DON MILLS. As for Victoria Park on sheppard maybe Johnnys hamburgers could buy the stations naming rights and build a ORANGE station that sells Johnnys Burgers from the inside Platform... Then we could call Victoria Park and Eglinton, THe STATIONS WITH THE LADY OUTSIDE ON A BILLBOARD ON A SWING.

I would just call the station at Don Mills and Eglinton "Science Centre". It would definitely make it easy for tourists.

As a general rule for new stations, I would propose that if the TTC plans on building a another line that could have the same station name as one that they're currently building, that the one with the more familiar local POI gets named after that (ex: new station on the Eglinton line at Victoria Park be called "Eglinton Square" instead of "Victoria Park North/Central/Whatever"). Same goes with the Science Centre station (which coincidentally also avoids the hypenation in the name "Eglinton-Don Mills Station").

EDIT: For the station east of Eglinton Square, I would just simply name it "Golden Mile", and place it somewhere between Warden and Birchmount.

Why should Toronto have to settle for mediocre names? We could be a world-class city if it weren't for names like "Bessarion" and "Bermondsey".

World class?

4468989345_8d9cc1b2fe.jpg

I like Bessarion and Bermondsey, they're much more interesting and less generic. I don't think we need to "race to the bottom" and eliminate anything with more than 2 syllables.

Last edited:
There are going to be a lot of station duplicates if both lines ever get built all the way out. We'll have two Keeles, two Dufferins, three Bathursts, two Bayviews, two Leslies, two Don Millses, three Victoria Parks, and three Wardens. The TTC is actually going to have to come up with some kind of naming strategy if they want people to be able to navigate the system.

Although this is not a sustainable system of naming stations, unless Toronto is planning to add 100's of km of subways in the near future, these quick fixes should do it...

Eglinton Line:
Dufferin North (Since it will never be necessary on Sheppard)
Forest Hill (@ Bathurst)
Bayview South
Leslie South
Don Mills South
O'Conner or Golden Mile or Eglinton Square (@ Victoria Park)
Warden-Eglinton (I can't think of anything else here)
Birchmount

Sheppard Line:
Bathurst North
Victoria Park North
Warden North
Birchmount North
Kennedy North

Another option which costs a bit more but maintains consistency would be to add "North" to Bayview, Leslie, and Don Mills then reuse those names for the Eglinton Line. This would maintain the consistency of "North" on the Sheppard Line But its not necessary...since none of these streets extend to the B-D subway...

EDIT: @gweed Yeah...Science Centre would be perfect for Don Mills & Eginton!

Last edited:
Although this is not a sustainable system of naming stations, unless Toronto is planning to add 100's of km of subways in the near future, these quick fixes should do it...

I'd probably do it like this

Jane --> Jane-Eglinton ("North" names for everything west of Keele should be reserved for a future Finch line)
Weston --> Mt Dennis (to avoid confusion with Weston GO Station, especially since this may have a connection to Georgetown line)
Keele --> Trethewey (It might be confusing if the 107 Keele North bus didn't connect with "Keele North" station)
Dufferin --> Fairbank (Same problem as above with 105 Dufferin North)
Bathurst --> Forest Hill
Bayview --> Bayview South
Leslie --> Leslie South
Don Mills --> Don Mills South or Science Centre (the latter might be better since this could be an interchange with a Don Mills LRT/Downtown Relief Line one day and it'd be good for it to have a unique name. Don Mills-Eglinton could also work in that case.)
Victoria Park --> O'Connor
Warden --> Golden Mile

and then for Sheppard just have any duplicates be "North" stations. (160 Bathurst North and 224 Victoria Park both connect with Sheppard so there'd be no problem there.)

Last edited:
I'd probably do it like this

Jane --> Jane-Eglinton ("North" names for everything west of Keele should be reserved for a future Finch line)
Weston --> Mt Dennis (to avoid confusion with Weston GO Station, especially since this may have a connection to Georgetown line)
Keele --> Trethewey (It might be confusing if the 107 Keele North bus didn't connect with "Keele North" station)
Dufferin --> Fairbank (Same problem as above with 105 Dufferin North)
Bathurst --> Forest Hill
Bayview --> Bayview South
Leslie --> Leslie South
Don Mills --> Don Mills South
Victoria Park --> O'Connor
Warden --> Golden Mile

and then for Sheppard just have any duplicates be "North" stations. (160 Bathurst North and 224 Victoria Park both connect with Sheppard so there'd be no problem there.)

There are more opportunities landmarks and neighbourhood names rather than "North" or "South" designations.

Bayview could be Leaside, Leslie could be Sunnybrook Park, Don Mills could be Flemingdon Park (or Science Centre), etc...

Bayview could be Leaside, but the Leaside bus runs down Laird and the Leaside Centre is at Laird and Eglinton, so if there was going to be any Leaside Station it would be most logical to have it at Laird (which doesn't need a new name since it's already unique). And "Bayview South" does actually kind of work as a local name. If you go to the area around the intersection you'll see the street signs refer to the neighbourhood as "South Bayview"

Sunnybrook Park for Leslie is also problematic because of potential confusion with Sunnybrook Hospital (wouldn't want people getting off at Leslie looking for the hopsital) and the Sunnybrook mini-mall at Bayview and Eglinton. "Wilket Creek" might make sense if you wanted to name it after a local park.

Science Centre is probably a better name for Don Mills though.

Calling it either could get confusing if the DRT is ever constructed to Eglinton/Don Mills.

Flemingdon Park definitely but I really doubt the Science Centre would have its own DRT station. It's barely 400m south of Eglinton and its parking lot stretches all the way up to the intersection.

Last edited:
Flemingdon Park definitely but I really doubt the Science Centre would have its own DRT station. It's barely 400m south of Eglinton and its parking lot stretches all the way up to the intersection.
Still 400-metre is quite the walk for such a major node. And your assuming you'd put the station at St. Dennis.

You could just as easily put the station at Gateway (northern intersection with Don Mills), and shift the main entrance to the Science Centre to the SW of the building a bit. Then it would be 750 metres from Eglinton. One factor would be where the bridges over the West Don and Main Branch go ...

Still 400-metre is quite the walk for such a major node. And your assuming you'd put the station at St. Dennis.

You could just as easily put the station at Gateway (northern intersection with Don Mills), and shift the main entrance to the Science Centre to the SW of the building a bit. Then it would be 750 metres from Eglinton. One factor would be where the bridges over the West Don and Main Branch go ...

I had always thought that the original plan for the "Flemingdon Park" station was to have it at the southern Gateway intersection. Having it at northern Gateway certainly makes a lot of sense though.

I had always thought that the original plan for the "Flemingdon Park" station was to have it at the southern Gateway intersection. Having it at northern Gateway certainly makes a lot of sense though.
It's certainly a possibility ... which is why calling Eglinton/Don Mills "Science Centre" doesn't make sense. Though we also have Museum station, but these days, the front entrance to the ROM is closer to St. George.

Based on information presented at Metrolinx today, the bridge over the Don is still being looked at and it would cost $100m less than tunnelling. It will run beside Eglinton.

Going from the station map presented, Ellesmere station is gone (which should be) with Oakwood mark in red. Keele and Jane also are marked in red. It shows the 26 stations for the line.

Final numbers of station and location still have to be determined and will be subject to connections as well ridership. There is talk that all GO lines will connect to this line including the RH.

All LRTs will be automated from day one and have the ability to come manual when the line gets extended.

The line is officially known and will be market as the Eglinton-Scarborough Crosstown line as well CROSSTOWN with Cross being black in colour to match TTC and town in green, to match Metrolinx colour.

There will be 3 PIC in the fall for the design of the first 5 stations that will be come standards for the rest of the system.

Ridership is expected to be 12,000 per hour by 2031 with headway between 90-120 seconds. Off peak will be 6 minutes using 3 cars trains from day one.

Ridership will be the highest east of Yonge and falling off around Dufferin.

Substations will be every 2nd station and will blend into the existing area.

It's certainly a possibility ... which is why calling Eglinton/Don Mills "Science Centre" doesn't make sense. Though we also have Museum station, but these days, the front entrance to the ROM is closer to St. George.

The way that I see it is that you have the Crosstown platform built under the north end of the Science Centre parking lot (seeing as how it goes all the way to Eglinton anyway, and the Science Centre I believe is government-owned). It would run from the west edge of the parking lot to pretty much right under Don Mills. You would have the main entrance building on the SW side of the intersection of Eglinton and Don Mills, with a secondary exit on the SE side to serve the office development there.

Once the DRL was added, it would run along the far east side of the Science Centre parking lot, with the north end of the platform under Eglinton, with the south end of the platform extending about halfway to the Science Centre. There would be an underground pedestrian connection to the Science Centre itself.

This would basically create an L shape for the platforms, but what could be done to minimize the effect of this is have the Pape-Danforth station's DRL platform extend much further north than it does south, so the Eglinton passengers load the rear half of the train, and the B-D passengers the front half. Same principle could apply to different main stations along the Eglinton line.

As for stations south of there, I would have the next station south be centred in the hydro corridor, if nothing else to make the cut and cover station construction easier. This would also provide adequate spacing between the two stops.

The way that I see it is that you have the Crosstown platform built under the north end of the Science Centre parking lot (seeing as how it goes all the way to Eglinton anyway, and the Science Centre I believe is government-owned). It would run from the west edge of the parking lot to pretty much right under Don Mills. You would have the main entrance building on the SW side of the intersection of Eglinton and Don Mills, with a secondary exit on the SE side to serve the office development there.
That all makes sense.

Once the DRL was added, it would run along the far east side of the Science Centre parking lot, with the north end of the platform under Eglinton, with the south end of the platform extending about halfway to the Science Centre. There would be an underground pedestrian connection to the Science Centre itself.
The underground pedestrian tunnel is a leap - that would be about 200 metres long.

As for stations south of there, I would have the next station south be centred in the hydro corridor, if nothing else to make the cut and cover station construction easier.
Cut-and-cover construction easier under active mainline transmission lines? I'd think it would be much easier a bit further north at Gateway - there's nothing in the way on the west side of the street. Though I'm not sure how close to Don Mills you'd be wanting to build ... there's a ravine that cuts in south of Gateway to about half-way down the hydro easement ... I'm not sure how much of Don Mills Road is actually fill. Might be the wrong place to build any major structure! Might require some special construction of that piece of tunnel ... and keeping the station structure either maybe no further south than Gateway; or no further north than the southern edge of the hydro alignment.

Either way - it's not impossible that there mightn't be a differnent stop called Science Centre ... so using this name for an Eglinton line station name seems a bad idea.

I'd just call the station Don Mills.

Back