News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Exactly, that's the problem. However, seeing an orange Line 5 will probably reduce the mix ups.

Why do we care so much about making sure people makes the difference between LRT and streetcars?

Lots of people on this forum laughed with great arrogance at citizens who dare call LRT...streetcars. Funny

I relly don't think it will mater what color they get painted the general public will see it as being the same as streetcar except that it has an underground section and less frequent stops.

I don't think the general public will relly notice the difference in the two and they will probably think it's just part of the streetcar network.
Not if its on the subway map. Which it will be.

Its a subway through midtown. The strength (and weakness) of LRT is that it can be both a subway and a lower order transit system.

Not if its on the subway map. Which it will be.

Its a subway through midtown. The strength (and weakness) of LRT is that it can be both a subway and a lower order transit system.
St. Clair, Spadina, Harbourfront, are LRT through portions of their routes - the portions between stops.

They're also called that on Google Maps. They're called "Light Rail Stations" when they should really be called Streetcar Stop.
Yup. I think the problem is because most cities ripped out there strecars and are now building light rail lines people don't really know what the difference is. Quite frankly I get confused about it too sometimes. It's like saying all conaqcs are brandies but not all brandies are conaqcs. Every Streetcar line is an LRT but not every LRT is a streetcar.

They aren't they are just garde separated Streetcar lines, The problem is they got called LRT lines when they were built.

They are only grade-separated where they enter subway stations. Otherwise they are in at-grade, dedicated right-of-ways. But yes, they are still streetcar lines, though streetcars are also considered light rail vehicles. Confusion abounds, and discussions pertaining to vehicles overshadows the more important issue of implementation (grade-separated vs. at-grade, dedicated ROW vs. mixed-traffic).

Paint an LRV green and just watch the mass confusion that will ensue between the TTC's streetcars and the Metrolinx LRVs. Let's remember that many people in our society lack general common sense.

I am wondering....assume for a minute that I accept that "mass confusion will ensue"....how would that confusion manifest itself? What would be the result? Will people not get on the Crosstown because, perhaps, they think it is a harbourfront streetcar? People use transit because it is convenient for them and it gets them where they are going....I am a total loss as to what the negative implications of the public not being able to tell the difference between an Outlook and a Flexity. Help me understand?

I am wondering....assume for a minute that I accept that "mass confusion will ensue"....how would that confusion manifest itself? What would be the result? Will people not get on the Crosstown because, perhaps, they think it is a harbourfront streetcar? People use transit because it is convenient for them and it gets them where they are going....I am a total loss as to what the negative implications of the public not being able to tell the difference between an Outlook and a Flexity. Help me understand?
Outlooks and Flexity aren't really that different except for a few minor differences like dul drivers cabs , coupling together and doors on both sides.

I think we talk too much about the difference between streetcars and LRTs.

I don't care what you call it.

What matters is the implementation.

A lot of LRT in Los Angeles is very similar to the subway here--grade separated, no traffic lights. But they also have LRT running along regular roads in parts.

But we don't have any example of LRT implemented similar to LA. Eglinton will come close though (but the at-grade portions could have been done better).

Eglinton West LRT looks awfully similar to the setup in LA, especially if the projected speeds of 32 kph are accurate.

The Eglinton West design is up in the air at this point.

As originally planned, I would say it is not that similar to LA.

With the recent proposals to adjust it, then maybe.

Back