News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.6K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.2K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 465     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I'm not the first to say that I'm unimpressed with the lack of protection from the elements for the surface stops. Whoever wrote that it provides protection from rain clearly hasn't been outside today and seen what rain does when you add wind.

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.33.56 PM.png

Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.39.21 PM.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.33.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.33.56 PM.png
    182.2 KB · Views: 728
  • Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.39.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-04-06 at 8.39.21 PM.png
    1,014.2 KB · Views: 747
I'm not the first to say that I'm unimpressed with the lack of protection from the elements for the surface stops. Whoever wrote that it provides protection from rain clearly hasn't been outside today and seen what rain does when you add wind.

View attachment 104266

View attachment 104267
These provide less protection from the elements than the current curbside bus shelters! At least be at par with them. Of course, this may be due to the limited platform space they have and cannot widen the roadway to accommodate a more complete shelter.

I would have expected a roofline the full length of a 2-vehicle train, at least. That design will bunch up riders in poor weather, leading to longer boarding times.

- Paul

The stops are barebones and uninspired, as if it's second-rate transit compared to the subway. While I applaud the apparent desire to keep costs down, the stops should have more interesting design features to enhance the communities along the line and comfort features like benches and heating. York Region did it better with their Viva BRT stops. No wonder Scarborough residents want a subway extension. This infrastructure hardly looks impressive, even if it'll be a substantial improvement over buses.

I would have expected a roofline the full length of a 2-vehicle train, at least. That design will bunch up riders in poor weather, leading to longer boarding times.

At the very least a roofline right up to the curb. I'm looking at the image and seeing the sun shining onto people... I thought that was supposed to be a bad thing. However if these are built as proposed, I hope we mimic what was done with St Clair by incorporating unique and attractive artwork.

They are asking to get complains from Scarborough because except for the Leslie stops, all the other stops will be in Scarborough. So heavy rain, snowstorms and minus 40 degrees waiting for the LRT...imagine when the line will be delayed or there's an incident... Fun time...

Metrolinx better upgrade those...this isn't California!!! Seriously disappointing

They are asking to get complains from Scarborough because except for the Leslie stops, all the other stops will be in Scarborough.
?

Looking at the map, there are 10 stops (rather than underground stations - or at-grade for Mount Dennis). Only 6 are in Scarborough - and that's including the one for Victoria Park (oddly named O'Connor - the street itself isn't in Scarborough).

?

Looking at the map, there are 10 stops (rather than underground stations - or at-grade for Mount Dennis). Only 6 are in Scarborough - and that's including the one for Victoria Park (oddly named O'Connor - the street itself isn't in Scarborough).

I think you're looking at it wrong? Only the Mount Dennis stop is above ground on the western portion of the under construction ECT LRT.

crosstownroutemaplarge.jpg

Also, the shelters remind me very much of the stops for the Spadina Streetcar. Which isn't good if we're trying to prove to Scarborough residents that they aren't getting second class transit.

I can't imagine that making this so bare bones is saving a great deal of money. Hopefully people complain about it at community meetings. Metrolinx can do better.

I feel like a lot of us are but it's falling on deaf ears.

Top priority should be given to grade-separating most of the stations where feasible, just like what's being proposed for Crosstown West. The ones at Leslie, Wynford and Victoria Park are prime candidates for grade-separation. We could also revisit using a elevated guideway, if not side-of-roadway trench, through the Golden Mile.

We could also revisit using a elevated guideway, if not side-of-roadway trench, through the Golden Mile.
You think we even use the sidewalks/grassymedians/parking lots on the north side of Eglinton for that? The room is maybe there?

An LRT ROW with direct access to the Golden Mile strip (no crossing the street) would be better overall.

Back