News   Jul 15, 2024
 174     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

The outdoor stations are sad and depressing. Great marketing for that Toyota dealership seen in the rendering which should see a spike in sales if this is how they roll out

Once you give up on grade separation, "station" is now frills. Being a "stop" means a standard transit shelter will do.

I think you're looking at it wrong? Only the Mount Dennis stop is above ground on the western portion of the under construction ECT LRT.

crosstownroutemaplarge.jpg

Also, the shelters remind me very much of the stops for the Spadina Streetcar. Which isn't good if we're trying to prove to Scarborough residents that they aren't getting second class transit.
Based on this drawing from 2014, it is more trenched than above ground.

• This is sort of how I imagine Lawrence Station to be on the SSE. The line is under ground on either side of the Highland Valley (say at Lawrence and 600m north of Lawrence), with the line elevated over the Valley and the Station north of Lawrence being near grade. However, at SSE, I imagined the entire roadway being elevated and not just the subway to allow for access to the hospital. (here there are no entranced on the north side near the river crossing, but at Highland Creek there is - hospital entrance on SW and road on NE).

https://swanboatsteve.files.wordpress.com/2014/10/plate3d.jpg

and that's including the one for Victoria Park (oddly named O'Connor - the street itself isn't in Scarborough).

Hm, I never noticed that before. Seems kinda dumb. O'Connor doesn't even technically intersect with Eglinton, so why aren't they including Victoria Park into the stop name.

They should put the O'Connor stop underground and share it with Pharmacy and call it Eglinton Square. That intersection is enough of a mess as it is right now.

Regular surface stops have next-arrival screens. I'm pretty sure it's safe to assume every Crosstown station/stop will have them.

Paint an LRV green and just watch the mass confusion that will ensue between the TTC's streetcars and the Metrolinx LRVs. Let's remember that many people in our society lack general common sense.

1. Who could possibly care?
2. Where in any concrete plan would the two appear next to one and other?

**grumpy today**

I would have expected a roofline the full length of a 2-vehicle train, at least. That design will bunch up riders in poor weather, leading to longer boarding times.

- Paul
Not only in poorer. I might want to get out of the blazing heat on a heat-island platform in the middle of an urban highway in the heat of summer. Agreed. the length of a two-car train is the minimum standard that makes it.

If they don't even have that, that would be terrible and "second class transit" for Scarborough. If the stations don't have them...

They'll have the screens but as mentioned the bigger issue is when delays occur these open shelters will compound the uneventful trek commuters take to these stations in heat, wind, rain, snow etc. Basically they wont even provide a decent area to gather yourself if you have children, disability, or just a handful of bags from shopping in the box stores, etc.

Its one thing that these stops are not all that attractive looking, which is odd after spending all this money on the line, its a greater concern that they are designed for a moderate climate and could easily deter commuters most of the year. IMO these smaller details make a huge difference in the impact the line will have and success in these areas

Last edited:
If the Eglinton-Crosstown's surface section had shelters like Curitiba's Bus Rapid Transit system does, that would be pretty neat:

brtcuritiba01.jpg

Take note of the turnstiles, making it like a bona fide station versus just a stop. Wow!

Back