News   Jul 17, 2024
 128     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 763     1 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 534     0 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

It could be that one gets bored in Durham so if they had better transit options to travel to Toronto they would have better ways to pass the time, and stuff.
Perhaps I want less ways for my daughter to get to Durham ... :)

(which all sounds silly, but I've heard similar comments from those in Georgetown, who don't want transit, because they don't want those in Brampton getting to Georgetown).

Perhaps I want less ways for my daughter to get to Durham ... :)

(which all sounds silly, but I've heard similar comments from those in Georgetown, who don't want transit, because they don't want those in Brampton getting to Georgetown).

there are serious hints of racism and bigotry in the comments you hear from Georgetown and Caledon with regards to Brampton Transit crossing into their towns. As someone who grew up and remains in Brampton, every time I bump into people from back in the day who has moved to those towns I am told/reminded that they are "like Brampton used to be".......looking at those towns there is nothing physically special about them (ie. their subdivisions look a lot like the ones in Brampton, their planning seems nothing special, and their municipal amenties seem, if anything, lacking in comaprison to Brampton)....so I have to assume it is about the people remaining in Brampton.

Its the same thing in stouffville, many moving out further to Uxbridge and port perry as they miss the "old stouffville".

Those small towns on the edge of the GTA are essentially entirely white (97-99%), and a lot of people get upset about it when that changes.

I went to Halifax over the summer, and honestly missed the diversity of Toronto. I dont get the attitudes of these people, but they exist.

Last edited:
Its the same thing in stouffville, many moving out further to Uxbridge and port perry as they miss the "old stouffville".

Those small towns on the edge of the GTA are essentially entirely white (97-99%), and a lot of people get upset about it when that changes.

I went to Halifax over the summer, and honestly missed the diversity of Toronto. I dont get the attitudes of these people, but they exist.

The drive to be "with one's own kind" (be that race or financial class) has always been one of the subtle undertones of suburban expansion every since WWII. They called it "white flight" for a reason. Fortunately, in Canada it was a smaller subset of that group of people that actually chose that route, which saved our cities from becoming US-style donut cities.

there are serious hints of racism and bigotry in the comments you hear from Georgetown and Caledon with regards to Brampton Transit crossing into their towns. As someone who grew up and remains in Brampton, every time I bump into people from back in the day who has moved to those towns I am told/reminded that they are "like Brampton used to be".......looking at those towns there is nothing physically special about them (ie. their subdivisions look a lot like the ones in Brampton, their planning seems nothing special, and their municipal amenties seem, if anything, lacking in comaprison to Brampton)....so I have to assume it is about the people remaining in Brampton.
Well tell them the expanded GO service is stopping at Mount Pleasant for a reason :D

Is stouffville really becoming more diverse? I know they were the second fastest growing area out side Downtown and Milton but that is surprising. I guess Markham is getting to be too expensive or what?

They're actually building a new northbound ramp from Eg to Allen Rd:
allen_road_new_ramp.jpg

http://thecrosstown.ca/news-media/w...-allen-road-ramp-construction-to-be-shifted-t

the 9th line bus already operates in Stouffville, but it is still far too small of a town for any real transit service. the 9th line bus is all it really needs.

Did I read it right on today's headline that the Eglinton line has a stop at both Vic Park and Pharmacy, 350m apart, and then Lebovic, 500m away, and then Warden 350m away?

Are planners completely insane and thinking that stretch is as dense as Yonge between Queen and Bloor?

What we need is Don Mills, some stop, Vic Park, Warden, Birchmount and Kennedy, 6 stops, instead of 11.

When all the stops on 512 makes it faster to take Subway from St Clair station to Y/B, take the Bloor line to Keele and then a bus to St Clair/Keele than simply taking the 512, we know the stops on St Clair is excessive. Now these stops on Eglinton East are simply obsessive-compulsively insane.

Did I read it right on today's headline that the Eglinton line has a stop at both Vic Park and Pharmacy, 350m apart, and then Lebovic, 500m away, and then Warden 350m away?
Why is this a surprise, given that's what's been discussed in detail in this thread, in the EA, and on the project website for at least 5 years?

It's surface LRT. Stops are cheap. Victoria Park, Pharmacy, and Warden all have intersecting bus routes. You could convince me that Lebovic is excessive, with the current streetscape, but otherwise, it's 800 metres from Pharmacy to Warden. Didn't we alrady debat this to death though? When we come down to it, it's an average 400 metre stop spacing.

Are planners completely insane and thinking that stretch is as dense as Yonge between Queen and Bloor?

What we need is Don Mills, some stop, Vic Park, Warden, Birchmount and Kennedy, 6 stops, instead of 11.

When all the stops on 512 makes it faster to take Subway from St Clair station to Y/B, take the Bloor line to Keele and then a bus to St Clair/Keele than simply taking the 512, we know the stops on St Clair is excessive.
The 512 spacing is 250 metres from Gunns Loop to St. Clair station. Two subways and a bus? I think you exaggerate. The streetcar travel time at this time of day is 26 minutes compared to 39 minutes on the subway/bus. It's 28 minutes at 5 pm compared to 37 minutes on the subway/bus (yeah, because the Yonge line moves better in rush hour ... right ...).

I think you are mistaking operation issues to design.

Now these stops on Eglinton East are simply obsessive-compulsively insane.
Obsessive-compulsively insane. Hmm.

Last edited by a moderator:
One stop could meet VP and Pharmacy half way and call it Eglinton Town Centre. The busses for those streets can also detour towards it.

When all the stops on 512 makes it faster to take Subway from St Clair station to Y/B, take the Bloor line to Keele and then a bus to St Clair/Keele than simply taking the 512, we know the stops on St Clair is excessive. Now these stops on Eglinton East are simply obsessive-compulsively insane.

OK firstly, I don't disagree that a few stops on the east section could be removed or combined.

However, right off the bat, please don't pretend that this is comparable to St Clair.

St Clair:
Avg stop spacing: 250 m. Source: http://torontoist.com/2010/11/rocket_talk_how_come_st_clair_streetcars_stop_so_much/
Avg speed: 14.5 km/h. Source: http://stevemunro.ca/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/RouteSpeeds201010.pdf

Eglinton east surface section:
Avg stop spacing: ~650 m (6km from Ferrand to Kennedy station, 9 stations east of Ferrand)
Avg speed: 22-25 km/h. Source: http://thecrosstown.ca/sites/defaul...l-design-options-sections-2.1-through-2-6.pdf

Even though a few spacings are only 350m, there's also spacing like Bermondsey to Vic Park at 900m, Warden to Birchmount at 850m, where the vehicle will be moving quite fast.

Back