News   Jun 28, 2024
 4.4K     6 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     2 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 675     1 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Let's hope there will be proper transit priority signals unlike St. Clair.

As I mentioned on another thread, while yes I hope there's transit priority that works, it's actually not as necessary in my opinion.

The reason is that many of the intersections give Eglinton the green light most of the time, decreasing the probability a vehicle travelling on Eglinton would see a red. They are often intersections with very small roads or entrances into parking lots of shopping centres.

At least, that's my experience from driving along that stretch. It's usually pretty fast to drive along when there isn't traffic, due to the traffic lights being far apart and giving green to Eglinton most of the time.

Did I read it right on today's headline that the Eglinton line has a stop at both Vic Park and Pharmacy, 350m apart, and then Lebovic, 500m away, and then Warden 350m away?

Are planners completely insane and thinking that stretch is as dense as Yonge between Queen and Bloor?

What we need is Don Mills, some stop, Vic Park, Warden, Birchmount and Kennedy, 6 stops, instead of 11.

When all the stops on 512 makes it faster to take Subway from St Clair station to Y/B, take the Bloor line to Keele and then a bus to St Clair/Keele than simply taking the 512, we know the stops on St Clair is excessive. Now these stops on Eglinton East are simply obsessive-compulsively insane.

It is not faster to take the subway to Keele from Yonge and St. Clair to get to Keele and St. Clair. Not even close.

Last edited:
I have gotton on the streetcar at St Clair West and just to get to Christie takes 10 min with having to wait for all those left hand turns. I find it hard to believe it takes 26 min to go across to Gunns Road. St. Clair to Y&B is about 5 min on the subway. B&Y to Keele about 15 min. I use to take the subway from Bloor and Jane to Yonge and Bloor every morning and night and it use to take 17 min to go east. Jane is 2 stops west of Keele I think. When you do the math that means from B&Y to keele subway is 15 min so a total of 20 min from St Clair and Yonge to Keele subway. Of course there is the time to transfer at Y&B to get onto the Bloor line and then at Keele to get onto the bus.

There are too many stops on St Clair but this is about Eglinton and I can understand the fear of some useless stops along this route

According to Google maps, leaving right now, it's 30 minutes from St.Clair and Keele to St.Clair and Yonge by subway (26 minutes to Yonge and Bloor and 4 minutes from there to St.Clair). You may need to add on a few minutes transfer time at Y&B, so let's call it 32 minutes.

It's 28 minutes directly along St.Clair.

Given the inconsistency of traffic flow along St.Clair I would bet that if one person took one route and another took the other it's likely they would both would arrive within a minute or two of each other and who was ahead would be anyone's guess. We need Clarkson and Hammond to figure this out.

According to Google maps, leaving right now, it's 30 minutes from St.Clair and Keele to St.Clair and Yonge by subway (26 minutes to Yonge and Bloor and 4 minutes from there to St.Clair). You may need to add on a few minutes transfer time at Y&B, so let's call it 32 minutes.
You'd also need time to transfer to the bus. Google Maps allows for that, why not just use that.

Looking right now, I do see 28 minutes using streetcar, but times ranging from 34 to 37 minutes using the 89 and subway:
https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=S...exp=0&noal=0&sort=def&mra=ls&t=m&z=14&start=0

It's 28 minutes directly along St.Clair.

Given the inconsistency of traffic flow along St.Clair I would bet that if one person took one route and another took the other it's likely they would both would arrive within a minute or two of each other and who was ahead would be anyone's guess. We need Clarkson and Hammond to figure this out.
On a Sunday morning perhaps, with no traffic on Keele ... but 6 to 9 minutes difference according to Google Maps. I suppose if one person got very luck, and made each change with no waiting, and the streetcar got held at St. Clair West for a couple of minutes, it could tie. But I can't imagine many would choose a normally longer 3-leg route over a direct connection. Particularly as there destination is likely on the street at St. Clair and Yonge, not the subway station itself!

I have gotton on the streetcar at St Clair West and just to get to Christie takes 10 min with having to wait for all those left hand turns. I find it hard to believe it takes 26 min to go across to Gunns Road. St. Clair to Y&B is about 5 min on the subway. B&Y to Keele about 15 min. I use to take the subway from Bloor and Jane to Yonge and Bloor every morning and night and it use to take 17 min to go east. Jane is 2 stops west of Keele I think. When you do the math that means from B&Y to keele subway is 15 min so a total of 20 min from St Clair and Yonge to Keele subway. Of course there is the time to transfer at Y&B to get onto the Bloor line and then at Keele to get onto the bus.

There are too many stops on St Clair but this is about Eglinton and I can understand the fear of some useless stops along this route

Don't forget the problem the Works Department is having with transit signal priority on St. Clair. This is the Works Department, not the TTC, who's priority is vehicles and not passengers. They say it will take the Works Departments months to fix. See link.

What the?! Don't leave May out, for goodness' sake.

What the?! Don't leave May out, for goodness' sake.

May would take a minimum of 35 minutes on each route, defeating the entire purpose of the experiment. Damn that guy is slow.

Jane is actually three stops from Keele: first High Park, then Runnymede, and then Jane.

May would take a minimum of 35 minutes on each route, defeating the entire purpose of the experiment. Damn that guy is slow.

OK. Clarkson on the streetcar, so he can shout "nooooooooo" every time it gets stuck behind a left-turning car; Hamster on the subway looking increasingly panicked, May in a four-door Maserati touring sedan driving so slowly he may as well be rolling backwards in neutral, and The Stig on a Bixi, somehow managing to express disgust even though he doesn't speak and you can't see his expression.

From Metrolinx board meeting: http://www.metrolinx.com/en/docs/pd...0140905_BoardMtg_2014-15_Business_Plan_EN.pdf (section 3.5)

Significant progress is expected this year with construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT.
Dennis and Lea, the first two tunnel boring machines, were launched in summer 2013 from
the West Tunnel launch shaft. In 2014-15 they will continue their journeys eastward while
crews construct headwalls and relocate utilities at future station sites along Eglinton Avenue
West. The East Tunnel launch shaft is expected to be completed in fall 2014 and the second
two tunnel boring machines, Don and Humber, are expected to begin tunnelling westward in
November. The RFP to design, build, finance and maintain the Eglinton Crosstown project is
expected to reach financial close in March 2015.

Two pilot light rail vehicles for the Toronto LRT lines are expected by
December 2014.

I've heard for some time that Waterloo will be where they are tested. Specifically, along the Spur Line segment, next to and north of the University. That's where we're expecting to get our first track.

However, I don't believe we're expecting to get rails in the ground until 2015.

Back