News   Jul 16, 2024
 143     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 291     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

Then Ford and McGunity decided to bury everything. And then Ford gave up Eglinton for some reason. And then lost on Sheppard East and then got a win on Bloor/Danforth/McCowan

It will be definitely interesting to see what happens in the new year. I think Chow will win and she will push for the LRT, and she will get it barring some unforseen circumstance.

I think that Chow is way too left wing to win. She will do reasonably well in the traditional NDP ridings east and west of downtown (but less well than in the past given that the NDP has lost ridings in the last provincial election and federal by-elections). She will get few votes outside those areas, and most people in the suburbs or along Yonge St north of Bloor will vote John Tory. There is a lot of opposition in the suburbs to things like LRT, bike lanes, and demolishing the Gardiner (Chow claims she is against this but I don't believe her). I can't believe that Ford will get as many votes as the polls claim because he is crazy, and when people get to the ballot box they will change their minds and vote Tory. The only way that Chow can win is if Ford gets a lot of votes and splits the right wing vote in half, but I really find it hard to believe that Ford will get more than 10% of the vote on election day. The percentage of people in Toronto who like Chow is far less than 50%.

I expect we will get the "John Tory Transit Plan", which is Eglinton remains LRT because we are stuck with it, but Finch/Sheppard LRT cancelled, Scarborough subway, and lots of GO train expansion over the next 10 years. If we are lucky then maybe we will see the downtown relief line, but I think that Tory realizes that this is too expensive to realistically get funding as long as the province remains short of money.

I think that Chow is way too left wing to win. She will do reasonably well in the traditional NDP ridings east and west of downtown (but less well than in the past given that the NDP has lost ridings in the last provincial election and federal by-elections). She will get few votes outside those areas, and most people in the suburbs or along Yonge St north of Bloor will vote John Tory. There is a lot of opposition in the suburbs to things like LRT, bike lanes, and demolishing the Gardiner (Chow claims she is against this but I don't believe her). I can't believe that Ford will get as many votes as the polls claim because he is crazy, and when people get to the ballot box they will change their minds and vote Tory. The only way that Chow can win is if Ford gets a lot of votes and splits the right wing vote in half, but I really find it hard to believe that Ford will get more than 10% of the vote on election day. The percentage of people in Toronto who like Chow is far less than 50%.

I expect we will get the "John Tory Transit Plan", which is Eglinton remains LRT because we are stuck with it, but Finch/Sheppard LRT cancelled, Scarborough subway, and lots of GO train expansion over the next 10 years. If we are lucky then maybe we will see the downtown relief line, but I think that Tory realizes that this is too expensive to realistically get funding as long as the province remains short of money.
Most people north of bloor do not care about the Gardiner. If Ford stays in the vote will split and Chow wins imo. The Gardiner should be gone, it's crumbling and it's ugly. I think we will get the SRT by this time next year.

Ford traded the province burying Eglinton, and cancelling the Finch and Sheppard LRTs for City building subway from Scarborough Centre to Don Mills station. But the færies magical corporate free money for the Sheppard subway never appeared, and the city never reached a deal with the province. All it did was set Sheppard East LRT back 5 more years.

Of course but if Sheppard was truly settled they why hasn't construction started yet?

Last edited:
Or if UPX turns out to be a failure based on the express premium model that's being planned now, that station at Weston would be part of a regional transit line to the airport. The cost of the additional elevated platform (compared to the work that had to be done at Weston anyway moving the station south and adding additional tracks/platforms) isn't a terribly big deal either way.
My bet on what will happen too.

Whining Scarborough Nimbys.

Who ultimately will get a choice of LRT or nothing.

I say give them nothing, and instead spend the money on Hurontario.

Umm Eglinton West? (Paging ehlow and Burloak) :)

However in theory, why not just give the people what they want? In fact, that's what John Tory's campaign is all about.

I'm generally pro-LRT but I am not convinced Sheppard East LRT is needed with current demands.

If the residents really don't want it, just spend a couple hundred million dollars on BRT and use the money that would've gone to the LRT to help finance the DRL. When they see how amazing Eglinton is in 2020, they and their NIMBY ways can go cry in the corner for all I care.

Because the Province wants to delay spending the money
Their scared and waiting for the municipal election to be over so that the Liberal government can say they are with the plans of whoever wins

I'm generally pro-LRT but I am not convinced Sheppard East LRT is needed with current demands.
If the residents really don't want it, just spend a couple hundred million dollars on BRT and use the money that would've gone to the LRT to help finance the DRL. When they see how amazing Eglinton is in 2020, they and their NIMBY ways can go cry in the corner for all I care.

Sheppard does need RT. IMO if there was a conversion plan to changed the rest of sheppard to LRT then this would get much more support. Others might say just build the subway.

BRT is fine, if it's real BRT (exclusive lanes, off board fares with POP, level all door boarding, articulated buses), like VIVA.

The buses are smaller vehicles than the light rail vehicles and it's a bumpier ride, but other than that it's the same thing as LRT anyways, so really it doesn't matter whether it's wheels or rails.

Oh yeah and buses can't operate in multi unit trains like LRVs.

Having said that, those who hate LRT would probably hate BRT too, since it's the same thing, it's transit lanes on the road.

Memo to "Eglinton Connects" design people.
Do we really need all those Bike lanes, really?
Today, a beautiful early afternoon July day, I drove Eglinton Avenue from Bathurst to Leslie. I know the Cyclists lobby will set their hair on fire again as they do every time evidence counter to their vision of the world is presented but here is the score, 2 cyclists, hundreds of motor vehicles. The 2 cyclists were encountered between Avenue Rd and Mount Pleasant Rd, the section where you planned an equal number of lanes for cyclists and motor vehicles).
Bathurst to Avenue Rd and Mount Pleasant to Leslie Street were entirely Cyclist free.

Memo to "Eglinton Connects" design people.
Do we really need all those Bike lanes, really?
Today, a beautiful early afternoon July day, I drove Eglinton Avenue from Bathurst to Leslie. I know the Cyclists lobby will set their hair on fire again as they do every time evidence counter to their vision of the world is presented but here is the score, 2 cyclists, hundreds of motor vehicles. The 2 cyclists were encountered between Avenue Rd and Mount Pleasant Rd, the section where you planned an equal number of lanes for cyclists and motor vehicles).
Bathurst to Avenue Rd and Mount Pleasant to Leslie Street were entirely Cyclist free.

It's over, it passed city council.

You can take solace in the fact that it will be many many years before any of this actually happens.

In the meantime, LRT construction has reduced the street to 2 lanes for the next 6 years at least anyways as you probably saw.

It's over, it passed city council.

You can take solace in the fact that it will be many many years before any of this actually happens.

In the meantime, LRT construction has reduced the street to 2 lanes for the next 6 years at least anyways as you probably saw.
Yeah, connects won't be up and running for at least 8 years anyway so I don't see the problem.

Yeah, connects won't be up and running for at least 8 years anyway so I don't see the problem.

I would think a lot more than 8 years.

But this is meaningless right now anyways since LRT construction has reduced the whole road to two lanes for at least 6 years. We all know it could slip a year or two as well as Spadina ext. has. This affects all 10km if the road instead of the 1.5 km in Eglinton Connects.

I'll ask spider: do you really care about >10 years later? Are you sure you'll be driving at Yonge & Eg regularly that far in the future?

What has current demands got to do with anything. The LRT network was designed based on 2031 ridership and congestion levels, which are forecast to seriously deteriorate along Sheppard East. It was the horrendous increase in travel times in 2031 compared to 2006 that lead to the Sheppard East LRT.

But tell me ... how would you improve the 2031 travel time if you don't build LRT? And dedicated-lane BRT doesn't count, given it takes more road width, isn't particularly cheaper, causes a congestion problem crossing the 404, and creates a difficult transfer at Don Mills station.

Back