News   Jul 16, 2024
 146     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 293     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

You also have to keep in mind that biking on Eglinton can be dangerous and most people elect to bike on Soudan, Roehampton or Broadway.

A bike lane would change things. Anyway this backwards thinking when it comes to street use in North America is dumb. I am currently in Europe and there are bike lanes on all major city roads here.

Hell, Even Mississauga (King of the car) is installing more bike lanes than Toronto. That right there says a lot about the stupidity of Torontonians who are consistently fighting bike lanes.

The number of people riding bikes in the whole area near Yonge/Eglinton is a rounding error, marginally higher than zero, and that is in the summer. Riding a bike in Toronto is simply too dangerous with or without "bike lanes". Luckily there are two municipal elections between now and 2020, so Eglinton Connects will probably get killed once John Tory becomes mayor and if somehow Olivia Chow wins then she will probably be so unpopular that she will lose in 2018. The insane price tag will ensure that this gets killed if nothing else.

The bike advocates make the same claim that the Gardiner teardown advocates make: they claim that the section of Eglinton near Yonge is underused and the section of Gardiner east of Jarvis is underused. Which is sort of true, but those sections still have plenty of traffic, and building even more condos near Yonge/Eglinton and building a proposed office development near the Gardiner/DVP interchange will make these roads much busier. Deliberately reducing road capacity in a city that has some of the worst traffic in a developed country is a terrible idea, time and time again we see that doing this just makes traffic worse and worse. Never mind that Lawrence and St. Clair have gaps in them so it isn't like there are a whole lot of alternatives for drivers to avoid this stretch of Eglinton. Narrowing Eglinton will simply cause 24/7 traffic jams and ensure that the LRT is even more overcrowded that it would be otherwise.

That comment is just absurd. Just pop on over Google Streetview, check out May 2013, and you'll see that there's bikes chained to every available object at the Yonge-Eglinton intersection, and no where else left to put them.

And then come back here and apologize for posting such blatant lies.

Here's June 2012 (most recent available) at Duplex and Eglinton:
View attachment 30338

So if College and Bathurst has a lot of bike that means we need bike lanes on Eglinton.

There is a lot of traffic on Highway 401, maybe we should build a free-way from Cochrane to Moosonee.

Wow, the last time I saw blind ignorance like this was in a church!

There are bikers EVERYWHERE right now in Toronto. I live near Yonge/Eglinton and during rush hour its bike city.

You also have to keep in mind that biking on Eglinton can be dangerous and most people elect to bike on Soudan, Roehampton or Broadway.

A bike lane would change things. Anyway this backwards thinking when it comes to street use in North America is dumb. I am currently in Europe and there are bike lanes on all major city roads here.

Hell, Even Mississauga (King of the car) is installing more bike lanes than Toronto. That right there says a lot about the stupidity of Torontonians who are consistently fighting bike lanes.

Well north of Eglinton the car rules as well, for a lot of reasons. We slam the politicians but the populace is just as guilty if not more so. We need to get people from Etobicoke, North York and Scarborough to start getting a long with the bikes, because Eglinton is not a highway, there's the 401, 404/DVP, etc for that.

There are bikers EVERYWHERE right now in Toronto.

that's definitely untrue.
Bikes are overestimated on this forum. I live near Yonge/Queen and even here I don't see too many bikers, maybe 2 or 3 on my way to work every day. To say there are bikers everywhere in Toronto simply is misleading, you mean including the vast single family nabes in Scarborough, North York, East York and Etobicoke?

Yes I do care even though I am pretty sure that I won't be allowed to drive anywhere in 10 years. I care because the bike lanes are a terrible waste of money tossed onto the pyre of trendy political correctness.

While I have pen in hand I have a question. Ever notice that the cycling proponents always use the singular rather than plural when describing their activities, It is always "I" do this and don't do that, never "we". I think it is safe to say that most of our society lives and thinks as groups such as families. I will be more inclined towards a need for bike lanes if projected usage were couched in terms such as "my wife and the children" would love to mount our 4 or 5 bikes and pedal off to the grocery store or a movie.

My wife & I, and our children, biked continuously from our home at Woodbine & Cosburn. The girls biked to school at Monarch Park every day. We biked on the bike lane on Cosburn to Broadview. We biked down Taylor Creek to the Don, then up to friends' houses along Serena Gundy, or down the Don to the Waterfront. We biked to Danforth for dinner. Piss off, spider.

That comment is just absurd. Just pop on over Google Streetview, check out May 2013, and you'll see that there's bikes chained to every available object at the Yonge-Eglinton intersection, and no where else left to put them.

And then come back here and apologize for posting such blatant lies.

Here's June 2012 (most recent available) at Duplex and Eglinton:
View attachment 30338

Google street view seems to offer different views on different browsers.

IE does show the view you posted dated June 2012 with 4 cyclists but it is not the most recent view offered, the most recent is June 2013 showing zero cyclists.

My browser of choice is Chrome which offers 9 views of this intersection ranging from September 2007 to June 2013, the grand total of cyclists shown in all of these samples is exactly one.

For every bike you see chained up on the sidewalk (it may have been there for weeks) you can find multiple cars parked on lots and in underground garages but you are not likely to look being a bit of a cherry picker.

Normally I would object to being called a blatant liar but considering the source I am grateful not to be outed as a bigot too.

My wife & I, and our children, biked continuously from our home at Woodbine & Cosburn. The girls biked to school at Monarch Park every day. We biked on the bike lane on Cosburn to Broadview. We biked down Taylor Creek to the Don, then up to friends' houses along Serena Gundy, or down the Don to the Waterfront. We biked to Danforth for dinner. Piss off, spider.

Good for you, seriously. If we heard more about rational people like yourselves cycling would enjoy a better image.

Bikes are overestimated on this forum. I live near Yonge/Queen and even here I don't see too many bikers, maybe 2 or 3 on my way to work every day. To say there are bikers everywhere in Toronto simply is misleading, you mean including the vast single family nabes in Scarborough, North York, East York and Etobicoke?
There are a normal amount of riders in the old city, is that fair? It's not about the amount of bikers, we are planning for the future here.

I live near Yonge/Queen and even here I don't see too many bikers, maybe 2 or 3 on my way to work every day.
Unless your commute is from the upstairs apartment to the office underneath, this seems highly improbable.

Just jumping into the snapshot of May 2013 in Streetview, I see 4 cyclists within view of Yonge and Queen, and I haven't even looked far. And yet you only see 2 or 3 all day? Do you even go outside?

Sure, there should be a debate about cycling. But these bizarre claims are not helpful!

Last edited:

Really? I live near Bathurst/College and I can tell you that there are swarms of bikes, especially on Hardbord in the morning. I don't think they outnumber cars, but the number of bikes there is definitely competitive.

Bikes are overestimated on this forum. I live near Yonge/Queen and even here I don't see too many bikers, maybe 2 or 3 on my way to work every day.

Well maybe if Yonge and Queen was more bike friendly, you would see more cyclists.

Yonge and Eglinton is increasingly becoming more and more urban with every construction project. I don't understand why people are arguing against separated cycle tracks because of their anecdotal "evidence" that they see 2 bikers on Yonge and Queen during rush hour, or that they think families can and should only live a car oriented lifestyle because they think that's the only way people can live their lives.

The point here is that there is a real potential for biking in this city and especially around this massive node. The whole notion of "if you build it they will come" cannot be more true. I really believe that adding visible, attractive, separated, safe bike lanes can really convince a lot of people to go bike for everyday errands like groceries, etc. I know this because it worked in many, many other cities, in the US, Canada, and around the world. After all, it's good for your wallet to bike, it's good for the environment, it's good for your health, and it's faster than walking, so why is biking even considered bad?

If you don't share my opinion, then keep in mind we can all yell about the potential of more bikers after taking a look at the effects of the pilot cycle tracks being added to Richmond, Adelaide, and Simcoe right now as we speak. Then we will really know if separated bike lanes really do have potential.

Speaking of bikes, just wondering if any of the LRT stations will feature any significant amount of bike parking (by significant I mean something more than a token bike rack)? Something like what GO has now at most of their stations.

Ugh... How long do we to deal with this whining from suburbanites who live nowhere near the affected neighborhoods.

The city is getting more urban and less car centric. The era of the cars ruling out city is coming to an end. Get over it. Gosh.

Back