News   Jul 16, 2024
 378     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 487     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

A big problem is that Metrolinx has said that the UPX fares would not be zone-based. Meaning that it will be cost the same $25+ to take the UPX from Pearson to Weston as it would to Union.

I think they are probably still probably deciding on (arguing about) fares which is why they haven't announced it yet. Fares can also be changed, the Eglinton Crosstown doesn't even open until 5 years after the UPX opens.

A big problem is that Metrolinx has said that the UPX fares would not be zone-based. Meaning that it will be cost the same $25+ to take the UPX from Pearson to Weston as it would to Union.
I'm not aware that Metrolinx has said the fares from Weston to Pearson would be the same as from Union to Pearson.

Do you have a reference for that?

Mount Dennis is not UPX. I'm talking UPX.
Metrolinx has said that the Mount Dennis station GO station will be designed to allow for UPX platforms.

And why will Mount Dennis and Weston have go stations in 2020? Can you explain that one?
Uh ... not sure what you mean here. There's been a GO Station at Weston since the 1970s, and it will remain. GO has said that they will add a GO station at Mount Dennis as part of the construction of the Eglinton line.

I'm not aware that Metrolinx has said the fares from Weston to Pearson would be the same as from Union to Pearson.

Do you have a reference for that?

When has Metrolinx ever mentioned zone fares nfitz. The price will be one pearson-union or union pearson and somewhere in the mid 20's/

Metrolinx has said that the Mount Dennis station GO station will be designed to allow for UPX platforms.

Uh ... not sure what you mean here. There's been a GO Station at Weston since the 1970s, and it will remain. GO has said that they will add a GO station at Mount Dennis as part of the construction of the Eglinton line.
I said I want to know why there has to be stations at Weston and Mount Dennis. Why not just Mount Dennis?

When has Metrolinx ever mentioned zone fares nfitz.
I don't think they have. That's the point. They haven't said anything one way or another that I'm aware of.

The price will be one pearson-union or union pearson and somewhere in the mid 20's/
Do you have any references for this?

I said I want to know why there has to be stations at Weston and Mount Dennis. Why not just Mount Dennis?
For UPX? Personallly I'd guess that they'd close the Weston UPX station because of a lack of ridership between Weston and Pearson.

For GO? It's 2.5 km along the track from Weston GO station to Mount Dennis GO Station. That's about the same as between Eglinton GO and Guildwood GO, and not much further than the distance between Eglinton GO and Scarborough (St. Clair) GO. I suppose they could close Weston GO ... that would keep the Weston Nimbys happy, if they didn't have to deal with the stinky diesels accelerating behind their homes! I doubt it would happen though ...

GO has always planned to have a station at Eglinton, since at least the early 1980s. This is just the culmination of those plans.

And frankly, why shouldn't they? Are the good people who live around Eglinton and Weston not allowed to use GO? Are the people from the north-western suburbs not allowed to take transit if their jobs aren't downtown?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

For GO having a station at both makes perfect sense.....for UPe it should(will?) be one or the other.

Like nfitz I think the Mt. Dennis location makes way more sense for UPe than Weston.....and I agree that ridership at Weston will make the money spent there allowing the UPe to stop there seem like a total waste....that said, if there is desire (and there should be) to have a UPe stop be part of the mobility hub at Mt. Dennis will there be the political will to end the UPe stop at Weston to add the stop at Mt. Dennis...that is not clear to me.

I don't think they have. That's the point. They haven't said anything one way or another that I'm aware of.

Do you have any references for this?

For UPX? Personallly I'd guess that they'd close the Weston UPX station because of a lack of ridership between Weston and Pearson.

For GO? It's 2.5 km along the track from Weston GO station to Mount Dennis GO Station. That's about the same as between Eglinton GO and Guildwood GO, and not much further than the distance between Eglinton GO and Scarborough (St. Clair) GO. I suppose they could close Weston GO ... that would keep the Weston Nimbys happy, if they didn't have to deal with the stinky diesels accelerating behind their homes! I doubt it would happen though ...

UPX fare reference
. I think they will close Weston Go when Mount Dennis opens, that makes the most sense imo.
GO has always planned to have a station at Eglinton, since at least the early 1980s. This is just the culmination of those plans.

And frankly, why shouldn't they? Are the good people who live around Eglinton and Weston not allowed to use GO? Are the people from the north-western suburbs not allowed to take transit if their jobs aren't downtown?

Dan
Toronto, Ont.
I'm talking about Weston and Lawrence.

For GO having a station at both makes perfect sense.....for UPe it should(will?) be one or the other.

Like nfitz I think the Mt. Dennis location makes way more sense for UPe than Weston.....and I agree that ridership at Weston will make the money spent there allowing the UPe to stop there seem like a total waste....that said, if there is desire (and there should be) to have a UPe stop be part of the mobility hub at Mt. Dennis will there be the political will to end the UPe stop at Weston to add the stop at Mt. Dennis...that is not clear to me.
Agreed.

There's no indication though there will be the same fare from Weston to Pearson (or say Weston to Bloor) as Union to Pearson. Nor is the auditor saying that will be the fare. That's what the auditor thinks the fare would be to break even. Whether Metrolinx and the government chooses to do this or not remains unclear.

It's also unclear what there fare will be for those who travel on the line every day, compared to those using Presto, compared to those who are buying cash tickets. Take Vancouver Airport. The regular Skytrain fare from stations near the airport to downtown is $4 cash or $3.15 with a book of 10 tickets amd $124 for a monthly pass. However a person landing on a plane and buying a ticket at the Airport station pays $9 - but someone who has a book of 10 ticket only pays $3.15. Obviously Toronto pricing will be very different ... but the concept might hold.

I think they will close Weston Go when Mount Dennis opens, that makes the most sense imo.
I think they might well close Weston UPX. I don't think they'd consider closing Weston GO for a nanosecond - can you imagine the uproar?

There's no indication though there will be the same fare from Weston to Pearson (or say Weston to Bloor) as Union to Pearson. Nor is the auditor saying that will be the fare. That's what the auditor thinks the fare would be to break even. Whether Metrolinx and the government chooses to do this or not remains unclear.

It's also unclear what there fare will be for those who travel on the line every day, compared to those using Presto, compared to those who are buying cash tickets. Take Vancouver Airport. The regular Skytrain fare from stations near the airport to downtown is $4 cash or $3.15 with a book of 10 tickets amd $124 for a monthly pass. However a person landing on a plane and buying a ticket at the Airport station pays $9 - but someone who has a book of 10 ticket only pays $3.15. Obviously Toronto pricing will be very different ... but the concept might hold.
That's because there is no consideration for zone by station. There is nothing out there indication that there will be a smaller fare from Weston or Bloor to Union.

I think they might well close Weston UPX. I don't think they'd consider closing Weston GO for a nanosecond - can you imagine the uproar?

Weston GO ridership will crater when Mount Dennis Opens.

Back