News   Jul 16, 2024
 381     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 494     2 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1.3K     3 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

When I see some press I'll say otherwise, until then I've seen nothing.
I've seen nothing.

Lowest ridership station on the Georgetown/Kitchener line by far.
I'm not surprised. Oh wait, I have ridden that line to Etobicoke North. It was well used. I remember when VIA trains on that line used to stop at the old Toronto West station south of St. Clair - I don't recall much use of that station either ... though it was not allowed to use it to go to Union.

I'm talking about Weston and Lawrence.

Indirectly, I was too. Like I said, they've had plans for a long time for a station at Eglinton. This was in addition to the existing station.

Lowest ridership station on the Georgetown/Kitchener line by far.

You're going to make me pull out my ridership reports, but until I see them at home, I'm going to say that is incorrect. Weston may not be the most well used station on the line, but IIRC sees more than Bloor, and perhaps Georgetown.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Indirectly, I was too. Like I said, they've had plans for a long time for a station at Eglinton. This was in addition to the existing station.
That's my fault for misinterpreting. I have no problem with that then!

You're going to make me pull out my ridership reports, but until I see them at home, I'm going to say that is incorrect. Weston may not be the most well used station on the line, but IIRC sees more than Bloor, and perhaps Georgetown.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

You think so ? I won't go against you but I hardly ever see anyone at weston.

If I recall the people of Weston complained bitterly about the reconstruction of the GO/UPX line in their neighbourhood with no direct benefit for them - so GO agreed to give them a UPX station in addition to their GO station. I suspect in a year or so when it turns out no one ever uses the UPX station at Weston it will be closed and moved to Eglinton. They just can't say that yet.

Or if UPX turns out to be a failure based on the express premium model that's being planned now, that station at Weston would be part of a regional transit line to the airport. The cost of the additional elevated platform (compared to the work that had to be done at Weston anyway moving the station south and adding additional tracks/platforms) isn't a terribly big deal either way.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Just from observation....the use of Bloor makes Weston look like Y&B subway station. More than once I have overheard this comment at Bloor "why does the train stop here if no one gets off"....hopefully that will change with the improvements at Bloor.

Just from observation....the use of Bloor makes Weston look like Y&B subway station. More than once I have overheard this comment at Bloor "why does the train stop here if no one gets off"....hopefully that will change with the improvements at Bloor.

That's strange to me. I would've though people would get off a Bloor, then transfer to the subway to get to destinations along Bloor. Maybe it's too far west?

That's strange to me. I would've though people would get off a Bloor, then transfer to the subway to get to destinations along Bloor. Maybe it's too far west?

People getting off at Bloor in the morning could best (being generous) be described as a "trickle". Very rare you see someone getting on at Bloor in the morning.

In the evening (westbound) there are a few that get on there and very few that get off.

These are just idle observations....perhaps a better link to the subway will encourage more of what you are suggesting.

Once the Eglinton LRT is complete, from Kennedy to the airport, it could become an alternative route to the 2 Bloor-Danforth when portions are undergoing reconstruction. Just like the University-Spadina leg of the 1 line is an alternative to the Yonge leg, so would the Eglinton LRT become.

That doesn't mean going without the Yonge Relief Line (AKA DRL). That would still be needed as the population of the GTA continues to grow. Other alternative routes will be needed as the network ages.

People getting off at Bloor in the morning could best (being generous) be described as a "trickle". Very rare you see someone getting on at Bloor in the morning.

In the evening (westbound) there are a few that get on there and very few that get off.

These are just idle observations....perhaps a better link to the subway will encourage more of what you are suggesting.

Hmm. I understand that the link isn't the most appealing transfer, but it's also not the worst. It's only a 5 min walk ~300m.

Maybe once the GO frequency increases or fare integration happens, there will be more people using Bloor station.

Hmm. I understand that the link isn't the most appealing transfer, but it's also not the worst. It's only a 5 min walk ~300m.

Maybe once the GO frequency increases or fare integration happens, there will be more people using Bloor station.

Those things will help, I guess, but the reality may be that people commuting in from the NW burbs may actually be headed for union and thereabouts.

It's an extra 300 metres thanks to the platform work at Bloor going on right now - the platform entrance is currently opposite Ernest Avenue. Even prior to the GTS construction, it was a mere trickle (perhaps 20) boarding the train at Bloor, though at least a few dozen (between 50 and 75) getting off at Weston.

Or if UPX turns out to be a failure based on the express premium model that's being planned now, that station at Weston would be part of a regional transit line to the airport. The cost of the additional elevated platform (compared to the work that had to be done at Weston anyway moving the station south and adding additional tracks/platforms) isn't a terribly big deal either way.
Once the Eglinton LRT is complete, from Kennedy to the airport, it could become an alternative route to the 2 Bloor-Danforth when portions are undergoing reconstruction. Just like the University-Spadina leg of the 1 line is an alternative to the Yonge leg, so would the Eglinton LRT become.

That doesn't mean going without the Yonge Relief Line (AKA DRL). That would still be needed as the population of the GTA continues to grow. Other alternative routes will be needed as the network ages.
Doesn't the fact we are even considering UPX failing say something though? I hope they charge less then 20 dollars for the fare.

Those things will help, I guess, but the reality may be that people commuting in from the NW burbs may actually be headed for union and thereabouts.

A lot of the Stations in the old city of Toronto are poorly used because of the high fares. Even the ones at subway stations. Fare integration should fix this.

I'm not surprised. Yesterday a 7-year old girl was struck and killed at the intersection of Millwood and McRae. Residents were saying it happened because of increased traffic on those streets from people trying to avoid Eglinton due to construction congestion.

Eglinton between Bayview and Laird isn't even going to have reduced lanes, is it? IIRC the report found that Eglinton along this portion was too skinny as is so Connects calls for killing off just the bus lanes for extended sidewalks and (on sidewalk) bike lanes.

I'm not surprised. Yesterday a 7-year old girl was struck and killed at the intersection of Millwood and McRae. Residents were saying it happened because of increased traffic on those streets from people trying to avoid Eglinton due to construction congestion.

Eglinton between Bayview and Laird isn't even going to have reduced lanes, is it? IIRC the report found that Eglinton along this portion was too skinny as is so Connects calls for killing off just the bus lanes for extended sidewalks and (on sidewalk) bike lanes.

That little girl, Georgia Walsh, apparently was the daughter of the Conservative Party President John Walsh and his wife Jillian. See link.

Back