News   Jul 16, 2024
 32     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 454     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 557     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

No doubt, though it's pretty weak as a talking point.
I'd think so. How many car drivers use Eglinton right at Yonge? I frequently drive Eglinton from Laird eastward to Kingston, and sometimes even westward to Bayview or even Mount Pleasant. And in the east I use it past Black Creek way out to Trafalgar. But I can't recall taking the car through Yonge ever. I'd think most of the usage there were the locals, and most seem to be behind this plan.

I'd think so. How many car drivers use Eglinton right at Yonge? I frequently drive Eglinton from Laird eastward to Kingston, and sometimes even westward to Bayview or even Mount Pleasant. And in the east I use it past Black Creek way out to Trafalgar. But I can't recall taking the car through Yonge ever. I'd think most of the usage there were the locals, and most seem to be behind this plan.

Agreed. I think most people going to Yonge-Eg use transit or walk. It's not a very easy or cheap place to park either.

I drive Eglinton if I'm going east into Scarborough (although I may have to find an alternate route). Going west I'd rather go up to Lawrence.

No the point is the province is the one who ultimately holds the purse strings and could have done something then. Miller has been gone for nearly 5 years. It's time to build and stop the talking.
You still don't get it. The position of the McGuinty government was consistent regarding that $8 billion: nothing would be done without council approval. Council was given an unprecedented opportunity to build transit, and couldn't make up its mind. The province can be faulted for delays, but not for deciding what to build.

Now we'll see how the Wynne government deals with council when the next $15 billion is spent. I suspect they'll take a firmer hand if council dithers.

Motion results for Eglinton Connects, from this link:
Jaye Robinson voted against it? Did rich condo owners buy this vote from her like they did with that useless Leslie LRT stop?

You still don't get it. The position of the McGuinty government was consistent regarding that $8 billion: nothing would be done without council approval. Council was given an unprecedented opportunity to build transit, and couldn't make up its mind. The province can be faulted for delays, but not for deciding what to build.

Now we'll see how the Wynne government deals with council when the next $15 billion is spent. I suspect they'll take a firmer hand if council dithers.

Jaye Robinson voted against it? Did rich condo owners buy this vote from her like they did with that useless Leslie LRT stop?

So transit city was just a big joke then?

The position of the McGuinty government was consistent regarding that $8 billion: nothing would be done without council approval. Council was given an unprecedented opportunity to build transit, and couldn't make up its mind. The province can be faulted for delays, but not for deciding what to build.

City council said loud and clear that they want the Finch and Sheppard LRTs, so what the hell are the liberals waiting for?

City council said loud and clear that they want the Finch and Sheppard LRTs, so what the hell are the liberals waiting for?

Money mostly. Eglinton was prioritized as it was the only piece everybody agreed on in 2010 and has used most of the short-term funding available since then. Eglinton completion got accelerated a couple of years over the initial TTC timeline and Finch/Sheppard start 2nd/3rd rather than 1st/3rd.

The low revenue growth for Ontario hasn't helped at all the last couple of years.

Good news is that revenue forecasts for the province are relatively good for the next few years so there will be fewer restrictions going forward even with the deficit battle going on. The federal government may also be a little more friendly with infrastructure funding after 2016.

A hard recession could still cause massive delays though.

Last edited:

They could have started building both in 2012. Maybe GenerationW has a point? Sheppard imo is still a question mark, I feel it will be reopened depending on who wins and the opposition to it by some residents, the Ford and other Councillors is clear.

I asked the Crosstown team about a connection to the UPX at Mt Dennis station:

When completed, the Union-Pearson (UP) Express will have stops at Union Station, Bloor GO Station/Dundas West TTC Station, Weston GO Station and Pearson Airport. The stations take advantage of current GO station infrastructure at the Bloor and Weston locations. Mount Dennis, at this time, does not have existing GO station infrastructure that can be modified to fit an UP Express station. There are no expected additions to the Union-Pearson Express route. Discussion has focused on creating an additional station at Mount Dennis, as you described, to have riders who will use the Crosstown link to the UP Express. In the future, a potential Mount Dennis station may be considered but it is too early to speculate when this may happen, or even if it will happen. If you have any further questions about the UP Express service, please contact the UP Express team directly.

Back