News   Jul 16, 2024
 23     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 452     0 
News   Jul 16, 2024
 556     2 

Toronto Crosstown LRT | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx | Arcadis

I asked the Crosstown team about a connection to the UPX at Mt Dennis station:
They are certainly going to be be very careful what they say about what has been a very controversial project until after it's and operating for a while, given that the Egilnton line won't (at best) open until 5 years after the Union-Pearson line.

But if you dig into what they've said previously, they have discussed the possibility of a Union-Pearson station.

Their comment that "does not have existing GO station infrastructure that can be modified to fit an UP Express station". What interesting working! No, there is no existing GO station infrastrucutre at all, ergo it can't be modified. However Metrolinx has previously stated the future GO Infrastructure to be built at Mount Dennis will be designed so it could be converted.

If you look in the August 2013 Metrolinx Mount Dennis Mobility Hub Study - http://www.thecrosstown.ca/sites/default/files/pdf/reports/mountdennismobilityhubstudyfinal.pdf and to page 10 (page 20 of the PDF) it clearly says that:

GO Transit anticipates that the new platforms will open with Mount Dennis Station in 2020. The platforms are being designed to accommodate UP Express trains in the future.

Yeah, if they added a UPX stop at Eg-Weston, then it provides faster access to the airport for those along Eglinton and makes the Eglinton LRT even more useful. This makes sense given that it's a "mobility hub" and there will already be a connection to GO.

If they do so however, would they keep the stop at Lawrence-Weston since it's fairly close?

But yeah it's way too soon to discuss this I guess.

If they do so however, would they keep the stop at Lawrence-Weston since it's fairly close?

Unless they change the UPX to a western DRL I believe the Lawrence Weston station is history since the only way to keep it express and have a Eglinton station is by removing Lawrence. If that wasn't the plan then why not just say they are going to add Eglinton. Instead they are going to just have a Lawrence stop. When Lawrence provides pathetic numbers they will drop the station and build a Eglinton connection which makes more sense to begin with. Sometimes the whole thing is managing peoples tempers in announcing things.

That's the million-dollar question. The answer would likely be based on what the ridership is between Weston and Pearson in 2016. And that's going to be a function of the fare policy. I've always scratched my head on why there would be much demand for a premium service from Weston to Pearson - particularly given that there's a frequent local TTC bus direct to Pearson from Weston and Lawrence along Dixon Road, right to the front door of the terminal.

That's the million-dollar question. The answer would likely be based on what the ridership is between Weston and Pearson in 2016. And that's going to be a function of the fare policy. I've always scratched my head on why there would be much demand for a premium service from Weston to Pearson - particularly given that there's a frequent local TTC bus direct to Pearson from Weston and Lawrence along Dixon Road, right to the front door of the terminal.

If I recall the people of Weston complained bitterly about the reconstruction of the GO/UPX line in their neighbourhood with no direct benefit for them - so GO agreed to give them a UPX station in addition to their GO station. I suspect in a year or so when it turns out no one ever uses the UPX station at Weston it will be closed and moved to Eglinton. They just can't say that yet.

If I recall the people of Weston complained bitterly about the reconstruction of the GO/UPX line in their neighbourhood with no direct benefit for them - so GO agreed to give them a UPX station in addition to their GO station. I suspect in a year or so when it turns out no one ever uses the UPX station at Weston it will be closed and moved to Eglinton. They just can't say that yet.

They should've built it at Eg-Weston to begin with. Wouldn't that satisfy that neighbourhood? Now it's a waste of money if they close it 5 years later since they're building a station at Lawrence-Weston instead.

If they don't build a UPX station at Eg-Weston once the Eg LRT opens it would be a glaringly obvious missing link at a mobility hub that makes both transit lines more useful. Eglinton would be more useful since it can get people to the airport, and UPX is more useful since it can be used by people who live along Eglinton.

They should've built it at Eg-Weston to begin with. Wouldn't that satisfy that neighbourhood? Now it's a waste of money if they close it 5 years later since they're building a station at Lawrence-Weston instead.
There's been a station at Weston though for over a hundred years. Presumably much of the money spent, would have to spent anyway to adjust the existing station and platforms to the new track configuration. Apart from the raised platform, it's all still usable.

The one way Weston might get some use, is after the Georgetown line goes to all-day service, that it would be the transfer point from those travelling from Brampton to Pearson.

If they don't build a UPX station at Eg-Weston once the Eg LRT opens it would be a glaringly obvious missing link at a mobility hub that makes both transit lines more useful. Eglinton would be more useful since it can get people to the airport, and UPX is more useful since it can be used by people who live along Eglinton.

There's been a station at Weston though for over a hundred years. Presumably much of the money spent, would have to spent anyway to adjust the existing station and platforms to the new track configuration. Apart from the raised platform, it's all still usable.

The one way Weston might get some use, is after the Georgetown line goes to all-day service, that it would be the transfer point from those travelling from Brampton to Pearson.

As I suspected. Now if that had built Eglinton to the Airport none of this would matter. So now the Crosstown will dump everyone at weston/eglinton in 2021, and force people to take the bus. No rail connection.

As I suspected. Now if that had built Eglinton to the Airport none of this would matter. So now the Crosstown will dump everyone at weston/eglinton in 2021, and force people to take the bus. No rail connection.
You'd still need a GO station at Mount Dennis. I suspect that most of the people changing to train at Mount Dennis aren't heading to Pearson, but to a GO station somewhere.

Remember that the Eglinton Crosstown EA said the peak hour demand between Renforth and Pearson was only 500 people. You don't have to look at the projected demand for long to see why they terminated the line at Mount Dennis.

There will already be a GO station and mobility hub at Mt Dennis station on the Eglinton Crosstown, with a connection between the Eg LRT and the GO tracks. The UPX will be open next year and run right through the mobility hub. If you simply add a stop at Eglinton, then people can transfer from the Eglinton Crosstown to the UPX to get to the airport without building any more transit lines/extensions.

There will already be a GO station and mobility hub at Mt Dennis station on the Eglinton Crosstown, with a connection between the Eg LRT and the GO tracks. The UPX will be open next year and run right through the mobility hub. If you simply add a stop at Eglinton, then people can transfer from the Eglinton Crosstown to the UPX to get to the airport without building any more transit lines/extensions.

That's going to cost money Metrolinx does not have. Right now, we have a stub at Mt Dennis and a stop 1 km NW because of political muckraking.

A big problem is that Metrolinx has said that the UPX fares would not be zone-based. Meaning that it will be cost the same $25+ to take the UPX from Pearson to Weston as it would to Union.

All they have to do is add the UPX stop there while building the Mt Dennis GO station, which shouldn't be too expensive or difficult.

A connection between the GO tracks and the Eglinton Crosstown is already planned as part of the Mt Dennis mobility hub.

They seem to be discussing & considering it, but it's probably too early now since the Eglinton line won't open for 6 years.

In an email, agency spokeswoman Vanessa Thomas said the design and scope has been set. She said the approved environmental assessment covered stations only at Weston and Bloor, and upgrades to GO Transit’s Georgetown line are already underway.

However, “connecting to the Eglinton Crosstown LRT line is an important future consideration for the Air Rail Link”, Ms. Thomas wrote, noting that it sees the area as a “mobility hub.”

The Crosstown will not open until 2020, well after the airport link is in service.
http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/0...ink-connecting-union-station-to-the-airlport/

Back