Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Common in Toronto too......

They don't keep them on the trees long those in York region or Toronto.

Great progress today, 9 more trees were planted by around 5pm on the south side of Bloor Street. It appears that there are about five more to be planted on the south side of the street. These trees look terrific. Hopefully by the end of next week both the north and south sides will be complete.

So exciting! Looks like the green leaves will turn yellow shortly -- what a great addition of colour to the streetscape that'll be.

The trees make a big difference, starting to look better than I thought it was going to turn out.

They'll look really nice 10 years from now.

Thanks for the pics

I cant wait to see these trees at night with the lights shining up from the ground at them!

This is the first time I have seen the tree watering bags used on Toronto street trees. They are common in US. See: http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/chicago-garden/2009/08/tree-watering-bags.html
Good idea!

You'll find them around the new tree plantings in Queen's Park (north) too, and I'm sure elsewhere. Civilization is slowly creeping in!

I cant wait to see these trees at night with the lights shining up from the ground at them!

Me too, I love that effect! There's a certain romanticism to green spaces that are lit from below, or from behind.

Another half dozen trees were delivered today by Dutchmaster Nurseries of Pickering. I interrogated the truck driver and elicited the following info. The trees cost about $800 each. It takes the nursery about 10 years to grow them to their current height (6m). They will grow to about 10m. I also enquired about using Birch trees because they look attractive even without their leaves and he said they're very prone to disease and also don't handle salt too well.

You'll find them around the new tree plantings in Queen's Park (north) too, and I'm sure elsewhere. Civilization is slowly creeping in!

And it seems to be coming from the US, where city after city is going about world class urban investment projects in the realm of public space. That old image of the cities of the US being rundown and Canadians leading the way in North America is starting to look quite dated when visiting the large US cities.

At the risk of tugging this thread South along Bay; what trees are being used in the vicinity of Murano on the East side of bay. Are they Plane, too?
Its an important artery, a ton of trees have been planted, but they look very anemic and I'm worried for their fate. Who pays for street trees, the city or developer?
And why cheap out? The difference in cost can be much as compared to the long-term impact.

The developer pays (actually the people buying units in the project pay) - the city sets the standards through the site planning process as to what type of soil, type of trees and type of irrigation system the developer is required to install.

Oct. 16th Update

It looks to me that as of about 4:30pm there are only four trees left to be planted on the south side of Bloor Street at the west end of the Xerox building.

Once the plantings are complete on both sides of Bloor between Church & Yonge and fencing removed this area is going to have such a different feel to it, and it'll be great. It's a shame that they didn't make it to at least Bay Street by now but this project will be worth the wait.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Oct 17

I was talking to someone and they confirm that there is no waterline for these trees and planters and should have been from day one.

They are using water bags to help sink the trees down and never seen this before.

The bark is missing for large sections of the trees.

The double row of trees enhance the street looks now and think what it will look like in 10 years if these trees last that long.

Once the rest of the plants added along with the tree covers as well the removal of the fencing, you will want to sit out there at lunch time and eat while reading a book.
IMG_oct-17-09-0195.jpg

IMG_oct-17-09-0196.jpg

IMG_oct-17-09-0197.jpg

Bark is missing? I thought that was how the trees are supposed to look... It has a camoflouge pattern almost to the bark.

Back