Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

arbourday.jpg

Voilà, a few more. I also noticed that the planters along Bloor Street all the way to the west end of the Xerox Building have been dug out and prepped, so I expect the tree planting will continue this week and into next. I walked along the south side of Bloor however it looked like the planters on the north side had been dug out too, but I can't be 100% sure.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Those are not the small stumps we see else where and nice to see these mature ones.

Maybe some of those trees that got cut up at Mississauga Square could have ended up here first.

I don't know trees..but isn't it a little late to be planting them? will they have enough time to settle in before winter hits??

They will be fine for the fall and winter. The key will be to have enough water on them next summer.

It's so good to see mature trees being planted in large planters, apparently with the intention that they will actually last for more than a year or two. I'm tired of the futile efforts to plant trees in those sorry little concrete planters, knowing very well that most of them won't last.

Trees are going into dormancy because of less light and lower temperatures, and transplanting them in fall is good practice as it limits sap loss and heat stress while the tree is establishing a root ball in its concrete coffin.

And of course, no Toronto streetscape, no matter how much we try to improve it, is complete without the requisite, cheap, third-rate street spam stuck onto brand new light poles. Keep it classy Toronto, keep it classy.

So very happy to see this, and what a difference it will clearly make. Even the HBC will seem a little less obnoxious. Lets hope we'll see plantings like this all over the city, Bay Street north of Queen and Spadina through City Place etc. etc. etc...

Nice! Amazing what a simple tree can do. Does anyone know what species that is?

Back