Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

Wow. This is actually one of the best surprises of the year, IMO.

Finally... trees that are going to look big and mature. I can't wait for the new Bloor Street to be completed and fully experienced.

No more trees planted today however it appears that the workmen continue to prepare the planters for trees to come on the south side of the street.
One photo below is from the north side of Bloor Street to give some scale to the size of the trees being planted.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

The spacing seems nice too so that once the trees mature the branches will form a continuous wall of greenery. Sigh, I'm in love.

I passed by the intersection this afternoon and I saw a bunch of trees on the truck and the workers were busy planting them.

I love Plane trees. We don't have enough of them. Nothing beats those big, mature Plane trees in urban European settings. The parkette between 500 Sherbourne and The Verve is full of Planes as well.

^ Yes, they provide a very effective and attractive canopy. This scene is in central St. Tropez

planetropez.jpg

At the risk of tugging this thread South along Bay; what trees are being used in the vicinity of Murano on the East side of bay. Are they Plane, too?
Its an important artery, a ton of trees have been planted, but they look very anemic and I'm worried for their fate. Who pays for street trees, the city or developer?
And why cheap out? The difference in cost can be much as compared to the long-term impact.

Great progress today, 9 more trees were planted by around 5pm on the south side of Bloor Street. It appears that there are about five more to be planted on the south side of the street. These trees look terrific. Hopefully by the end of next week both the north and south sides will be complete.

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Amazing! If only they were required in front of all developments. Bay Street would look so much better.

Back