Toronto Bloor Street Revitalization | ?m | ?s | Bloor-Yorkville BIA | architectsAlliance

It is being halted for WINTER but, I think, all the underground work is now completed right over to Avenue Road so next spring they "only" have to do the sidewalks and resurface the road.

I really hope that's the case! Because they did indeed do lots of underground work last summer and last fall (even winter too I guess) on Yonge more towards Avenue Road, including right at that intersection. Whenever I crossed Bloor I would see what they were working on. The process is accelerated now I think, from here onwards.

... which makes one wonder why they wouldn't just push through and get it done. There could be a month or two yet without snow as December can usually go either way.

The BIA' is paying part of the cost of all this and their latest Newsletter says:

Yonge Street to Church Street:
Construction work continues on the north side of Bloor St. East,
between Yonge St. and St. Paul Square. Installation of the
granite is taking place in front of 2 Bloor Street East/Hudson Bay
Centre, working eastwards from Yonge Street towards Park
Road. Granite installation, except for small portions, is complete
between Park Rd. and St. Paul's Square. Paving of the roadway
will occur in the coming weeks.
Yonge Street to Avenue Road:
Granite installation continues in front of 2 Bloor St. West, in an
effort to clear the intersection of Yonge St. and Bloor St. this year.
Toronto Hydro will work in isolated locations between Yonge and
Avenue Road. The work Toronto Hydro is required to undertake
is within the Hydro Chambers (a.k.a. Manholes), below grade.
Pedestrian access to businesses and properties, between Yonge
St. and Avenue Road will NOT be interrupted.
See: http://www.bloor-yorkville.com/pdf/newsletters/09-Summer-Newsletter.pdf

... which makes one wonder why they wouldn't just push through and get it done. There could be a month or two yet without snow as December can usually go either way.

Busiest time of the year for shopping. Since the BIA is involved I'm sure they don't want construction to drive shoppers away.

Yes, I don't get it. Why stop for winter when Fall isn't even a month old yet??

They've stated in their newsletter that nothing will happen from Yonge to Avenue Rd. until Hydro is out of the way. On Bloor between Bay & Avenue Rd. today there were about 6 Hydro trucks and plenty of workers doing their thing.

According to this column on the Post, scrambling begins at 10 a.m. tomorrow

Painting of the scramble crossing paths will likely be completed late tonight. As can be seen it has begun on each corner

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

Maybe those will be dressed in time for Shopmas/Shopukah/Shopza?

What's wrong with CIBC, presuming you mean 2 Bloor West. Its strong vertical concrete lines, the concrete sections delineating the mechanical parts of the building and the unique brown grid make it one of the more distinctive and interesting towers downtown. I don't know why that one gets such a bad rap.

The original lobby artwork, by Jordi Bonet, now gone, can be found on this website of his work:

http://www.jordibonet.net/

Another example of his work, surviving, in a Government of Ontario buildings at Bay and Wellesley:

http://ao.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll/1611/1/1/83?RECORD

Painting of the scramble crossing paths will likely be completed late tonight. As can be seen it has begun on each corner

Click on the thumbnail to enlarge, then click again on the image for full size.

CityTV at 6pm did a piece on the scramble crossing opening at Y+B this morning. The intersection wasn't painted last night, most likely due to the rain so there will no doubt be a bit of confusion until the directional lines are in place but it's great to have another scramble crossing at a busy intersection.

Finally, it's Arbour Day on Bloor St. The first trees have arrived. At lunchtime today, workers were installing 2 London Plane trees at the corner of Bloor & Church. The trees were about 6 metres tall. These are the trees with the distintive 'camouflage' pattern on their trunk and they can grow quite tall.

Finally, it's Arbour Day on Bloor St. The first trees have arrived. At lunchtime today, workers were installing 2 London Plane trees at the corner of Bloor & Church. The trees were about 6 metres tall. These are the trees with the distintive 'camouflage' pattern on their trunk and they can grow quite tall.

Alleluia !!!!! Can't wait to see some photos...

Back