News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 367     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 940     1 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

Perhaps the last three or four posts help to explain the reasoning of building "owners" who show little interest --- the overabundance of red-tape appears to be something that most businessmen/women would prefer to avoid.

How do you figure we can make heritage listing/designation more appealing to building owners? Are there any incentives that can be offered?

Tax incentives exist for owners of heritage properties, with the exact credit amount being determined by individual municipalities. In Toronto, you can receive up to a 40% property tax rebate (credit) - this is applicable to properties that are provincially designated, not listed.

There is also the heritage grant program, which will compensate owners up to 50% (to a maximum of $10,000) the cost of renovations to designated properties. The renovations must be approved by HPS staff.

In both cases, the financial incentives are only available to provincially designated buildings. A listed building would not be eligible.

Speaking of Don Mills -- how many alterations have occurred on the Don Mills Library? Prior to the modern addition, at its front, was the library in its original form; or had it already been tampered with? Do you think it would still qualify as a heritage building, or has too much of its original character been removed/covered?

donmillslibrary.jpg

http://donmills.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/a-very-short-story-about-the-don-mills-library/

1961 Don Mills Branch is opened at the current location by the North York Public Library Board, 14 November. Officially opened 15 April 1962. Craig, Madill, Abram and Ingleson, Architects.
1963 Renovated and enlarged to regional/area size. Craig, Madill, Abram and Ingleson, Architects.
1994 Renovated. Reopened 13 June. Joseph Bogdan Associates Architects.
1997 Included on an inventory of North York's Modernist Architecture prepared by the City of North York Planning Department, Urban Design Division.

Last edited:
http://donmills.wordpress.com/2010/05/31/a-very-short-story-about-the-don-mills-library/

1961 Don Mills Branch is opened at the current location by the North York Public Library Board, 14 November. Officially opened 15 April 1962. Craig, Madill, Abram and Ingleson, Architects.
1963 Renovated and enlarged to regional/area size. Craig, Madill, Abram and Ingleson, Architects.
1997 Included on an inventory of North York's Modernist Architecture prepared by the City of North York Planning Department, Urban Design Division.

Thanks, Anna.

The house was not there in 1947 but appears in the 1953 photo.
F.Y.I. One Nut Kruk,

The house was not there in 1947 but appears in the 1953 photo.

Yes, I've looked at those aerial shots. I'm guessing the house was built around '52; when construction of Don Mills began.

Last edited:
donmillslibrary.jpg

There is a renovation going on right now as well. The Don Mills Camera club has been evicted until January.

There is a renovation going on right now as well. The Don Mills Camera club has been evicted until January.

What does the renovation consist of? Hopefully no more exterior damage will be done. The 1994 addition destroyed the front facade.

What does the renovation consist of? Hopefully no more exterior damage will be done. The 1994 addition destroyed the front facade.
It is all inside as far as I know. I have not seen any outside change. They did redo the roof, but that can be considered regular maintenance.

It is all inside as far as I know. I have not seen any outside change. They did redo the roof, but that can be considered regular maintenance.
The project is required to give Don Mills Branch the operational efficiency needed to meet
the needs of existing customers and attract new ones. The project involves interior
renovations to approximately 2,000 sq/ft on the ground floor and lower levels, including
integration of a double inlet self-service check in and automatic book sorter in the lobby, new
public service and information desks and new self-check stations, new lighting, flooring, wall
finishes and modifications to the existing main entrance stairwell to create a more visually
open connection between the upper and lower floor levels. Exterior renovations include
replacement of the metal cladding along the south and west elevations and repairs to the
concrete sidewalk at the main entrance and at the east exit from the lower level.
http://www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/content/about-the-library/pdfs/board/meetings/2013/jun24/15.pdf

Re: Changes to recent Don Mills architecture

The Aga Khan Museum and cultural centre for Ismaili Muslims is being constructed on the former sites of the Bata and Shell buildings on Wynford Dr. in Don Mills.
Construction was to begin in 2008 and is progressing slowly - expected to be complete in 2014.
The Aga Khan Museum will be a white-stone building with a low dome by prize-winning architect Fumihiko Maki. Directly south will be the larger Ismaili Centre Toronto by Mumbai-based architect Charles Correa.
As photographed, Oct/24/2013:

AgaKhanMuseum-websize_zps5bc2e72d.jpg

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 831
Excuse my bad photo but right now the cladding is off Don Mills Library and I wish they would leave it that way.

Send them an email.

I wonder why the westerly extension was removed?

I'm wondering what this means: "Exterior renovations include
replacement of the metal cladding along the south and west elevations"

Last edited:
Send them an email.
And cause them to incur contract cancellation fees?

I wonder why the westerly extension was removed?

My photo is of the westerly extension. It looks like they extended the brick detail around the corner and onto the west elevation when they did the extension.

donmillslibrary.jpg

I'm wondering what this means: "Exterior renovations include replacement of the metal cladding along the south and west elevations"

Google Streetview showing cladding. At one point I think it was painted dark green.

Cladding.JPG

Attachments

• Cladding.JPG
    Cladding.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 745
And cause them to incur contract cancellation fees?

My photo is of the westerly extension. It looks like they extended the brick detail around the corner and onto the west elevation when they did the extension.

Google Streetview showing cladding. At one point I think it was painted dark green.

I guess that westerly extension was added in the 1994 expansion?

I contacted the architect involved in the renovations and asked if he could elaborate on what is going to happen.

No, my guess would be that the westerly extension was part of the 1963 expansion. 1994 was the new front entry.

Back