News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

What the Houston Astrodome can teach us
The muscular work of late-modern architecture, which has suffered a loss at the ballot box, makes a test case for the health of the preservationist movement.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...vation-20131117,0,2013056.story#axzz2krhOEbIh

"What is it about late-modern designs that has left them so vulnerable in recent years? In part it's simple arithmetic. Works of architecture tend to fall out of fashion beginning around age 25 and hit their deepest levels of disfavor between 40 and 50 years old. This is largely true regardless of architectural style or historical period. Buildings, it turns out, experience their own version of a midlife crisis".

Parkwoods United Church (1964) Architect: Eb Zeidler

Parkwoods_United_Church.JPG

Photographer unknown

The Four Thousand (4000 Yonge St)

Year: 1962

Architect: John Daniels & Wilfred Shulman

TheFourThousand1.jpg

Photo: TOBuilt

TheFourThousand2.jpg

TheFourThousand3.jpg

4000.jpg

Photographer unknown

[video=youtube;tecxw-L7Jf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tecxw-L7Jf0#t=11[/video]

Attachments

• TheFourThousand1.jpg
    TheFourThousand1.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 878
  • TheFourThousand2.jpg
    TheFourThousand2.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 882
  • TheFourThousand3.jpg
    TheFourThousand3.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 909
Last edited:
Not a building, but nevertheless and interesting piece of 1960s art.

Rosehill Reservoir Fountain

3001250816_5b61ea2237_b.jpg

GNC Photography

lightbox

Photo: jmaxtours

lightbox

Photo: Tony Lea

lightbox

Photo: Tony Lea

Does anyone know who built and designed the fountain? All I know is that it was constructed in 1967. Also, did the same person(s) design the reservoir pools?

I'm not sure why the other photos I posted aren't showing up...

Last edited:
The Four Thousand (4000 Yonge St)

Year: 1962

Architect: John Daniels & Wilfred Shulman

[video=youtube;tecxw-L7Jf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tecxw-L7Jf0#t=11[/video]

Does it still have the water fountains in the lobby's of each floor?

Not sure if this building has been posted. 35 Walmer Road (The Vincennes), by Uno Prii, 1966 (and my first apartment away from home):

35_Walmer_Road_by_Uno_Prii_(1966)_in_2011,_Toronto.jpg

35walmerroad.jpg

35WalmerEntrance.jpg

SpadinaandLowther.jpg

tumblr_m0dtqtJuC21r2a51zo2_1280.jpg

As a historical footnote, 35 Walmer replaced Timothy Eaton's 1889 mansion:

EatonAnnexHome.jpg

Spadina Road, of course, looked very different in those days:

spadinalowther.jpg

Attachments

• 35_Walmer_Road_by_Uno_Prii_(1966)_in_2011,_Toronto.jpg
    35_Walmer_Road_by_Uno_Prii_(1966)_in_2011,_Toronto.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 863
  • 35walmerroad.jpg
    35walmerroad.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 943
  • 35WalmerEntrance.jpg
    35WalmerEntrance.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 1,070
  • EatonAnnexHome.jpg
    EatonAnnexHome.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 887
  • spadinalowther.jpg
    spadinalowther.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 818
  • SpadinaandLowther.jpg
    SpadinaandLowther.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 825
  • tumblr_m0dtqtJuC21r2a51zo2_1280.jpg
    tumblr_m0dtqtJuC21r2a51zo2_1280.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 815
Last edited:
Zeidler did some churches (and a synogogue) that are very similar to this in Peterborough as well.

Can you please post some links or give me the names of the churches and synagogues?

Does it still have the water fountains in the lobby's of each floor?

Not sure. This is the first I've heard of these indoor fountains. Got any pics of them?

Not sure if this building has been posted. 35 Walmer Road (The Vincennes), by Uno Prii, 1966 (and my first apartment away from home):

It's surprising that Timothy Eaton's mansion wasn't preserved.

Last edited:
Civic Garden Centre Pavilion & Civic Garden Centre

Year: 1964

Architect: Moriyama and Teshima Architects

img_2436-moriyama-edwards-garden-mr1.jpg

Photo: Robert Moffatt

EdwardsGardensShelter1.jpg

EdwardsGardensShelter2.jpg

EdwardsGardensShelter3.jpg

EdwardsGardensShelter4.jpg

CivicGardenCentreI-1.jpg

CivicGardenCentreI-2.jpg

Photo:TOBuilt

Toronto-Botanical-Garden-1-Corbin-Smith.jpg

Photographer unknown

Toronto_Botanical_Garden.jpg

Photographer unknown

Toronto+Botanical+Gardens+-+The+Garden+Wanderer+%252827%2529.JPG

Photographer unknown

Toronto+Botanical+Gardens+-+The+Garden+Wanderer+%286%29.JPG

Photographer unknown

Can you please post some links or give me the names of the churches and synagogues?

He did Grace United Church, Beth Israel synagogue, St. Barnabus Anglican Church (very nice), St Giles Presbyterian Church. Two high schools, Adam Scott and TASS, and some elementary schools. Additions to the Civic hospital that have since been torn down.

He also did some stunningly mediocre work there, including the memorial centre (The local OHL arena), the provincial courthouse, the city museum, the police headquarters. In fact, Zeidler did so much work there, you can't drive more than a kilometre without seeing something. It's all over and very public.

He also did residential work in the city, most of which is unknown and undocumented. There are several houses close to where I grew up that I'm fairly certain are his work but I can't find any information on them because they're private residences. He won the Massey medal for a house he did at 640 Walkerfield Avenue and that's the only one that's documented.

Also notable to this thread Crang and Boake, a very prominent TO architecture firm in the 70s and 80s that since disappeared into obscurity did the Art Gallery of Peterborough (imo some of their best work). C&B were behind the metro convention centre and Holt Renfrew Bloor store. Also some of the most prominent and hated mid 70s work downtown (Delta Chelsea, Marriot, Hudson's Bay tower).

All of this is somewhat obscure, as not many people in Peterborough really care about this stuff. Maybe a handful even know.

It's surprising that Timothy Eaton's mansion wasn't preserved.

Not for the era, necessarily--in the mid-60s, such late Victorian hulks weren't fashionable. (Though it's interesting to see the early crosswalk signage in that aerial shot of the Eaton mansion.)

True. Even with his name attached to that house, one would think there would be an exception. Too bad.

adma, do you know who designed the Rosehill Reservoir Fountain?

Back