News   May 08, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 1.2K     2 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.9K     3 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

Very interesting reading, particularly the valiant attempt Jack Diamond made to save the Howard building (and was criticized for "recycling" the building, instead of "restoring" it). Remember also that the Don Jail almost met the same fate, with the same arguments about "bad memories" being trotted out.

this is a very informative history of late modernism in North York:

North York's Modernist Architecture Revisited;
http://era.on.ca/wp/wp-content/uploa...h-Addendum.pdf

There are some buildings with unknown architects and year of construction in that PDF document. That must only be unknown to the company because I can't imagine that info for modern buildings like that would be unknown to anyone .

I've always found this to be a really fascinating piece of architecture:

Annunciation of the Blessed Virgin Mary Parish (3 Combermere Dr)
Annunciation_of_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary,_Toronto.jpg

The interior is great too:
http://www.bvmtoronto.com/photoi.html

Attachments

• Annunciation_of_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary,_Toronto.jpg
    Annunciation_of_the_Blessed_Virgin_Mary,_Toronto.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 985
The strangest thing about 500 Duplex to me has always been the design decision to have essentially a blank wall on its south elevation, thereby missing some of the most spectacular skyline views from North Toronto. Perhaps a "60's" thing, but 10-20 Avoca got it right with wrap-around balconies (also by Seligman & Dick).

Last edited:
Definitely one of those "nice in photos, but really shouldn't have happened, or at least fat chance pulling it off today" cases (Crombie to the rescue!)

Love 500 Duplex. I imagine the units are huge.

huge and a pretty good deal for the long term tenants. i talked to someone while i was shooting who told me he paid $400 for a one bedroom when he moved in in the late 70s, and now pays around $1300.

Re: Berkshire House, Canterbury House

Given that the balcony repairs have been going on for what seems like at least five years, there must be a lesson here as to why sold concrete balconies are not a good idea.......

Le Corbusier did it so much better in 1947-52 with his Unite d'Habitation in Marseilles (a very influential building for Toronto architects in the 50's and 60's, from Dickinson in Regent Park South to Jerome Markson at Baycrest):

Unite_d'Habitation,_Marseille.jpg

7.jpg

Unite_Habitation_2.jpg

Attachments

• Unite_d'Habitation,_Marseille.jpg
    Unite_d'Habitation,_Marseille.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 752
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 981
  • Unite_Habitation_2.jpg
    Unite_Habitation_2.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 775
Last edited:
Re: Berkshire House, Canterbury House

Given that the balcony repairs have been going on for what seems like at least five years, there must be a lesson here as to why sold concrete balconies are not a good idea.......

what caused that kind of damage to the balconies? water? extremes in winter/summer temperature? some flaw in the concrete itself?
one doesn't often see it degrade to that extent, there are 2000 year old concrete buildings in Rome in better shape...
is there any way of mitigating this kind of thing?

Le Corbusier did it so much better in his Unite d'Habitation in Marseilles (a very influential building for Toronto architects in the 50's and 60's, from Dickinson in Regent Park South to Jerome Markson at Baycrest):

truly spectacular...

I would suspect that the issue has to do with improper drainage from the balconies, with those little drainage pipes on each balcony being insufficient to the task. With the water sitting there all winter, eventually it permeates the slab and starts to rust the rebars, causing the concrete to crack and spall.

Back