News   May 08, 2024
 932     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 1K     1 
News   May 08, 2024
 2.6K     3 

Toronto Architecture From The 1960's and 70's

Wasn't that demolished around the time the Loblaws Superstore was built? Speaking of Don Mills modernism -- I contacted the owners of One Medical Place (20 Wynford Dr -- posted a few pages back) re a heritage nomination. The person I spoke with said they appreciate the design elements that I pointed out and that they've worked hard to maintain the building over the last 9 years, etc., but they aren't interested in pursuing a heritage nomination. Such a piss off. If they appreciate the beauty of the building, why wouldn't they want to preserve it? I'm getting so fed up in my quest to nominate certain buildings. Most owners haven't even bothered to reply to my inquiries on their properties.

Another Don Mills building (not to be forgotten) was the OHA Building, 24 Ferrand Dr. - an award-winning structure when built in 1961.
It was demolished in 1994 and the foundation was used to facilitate a new 'Mormon Church' (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints-built 1996).

Don Mills exterior2.jpg

of course there is this imperial oil gem.

Attachments

• Don Mills exterior2.jpg
    Don Mills exterior2.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 565
IMPERIAL OIL BLDG:

Built 1962 - abandoned by Imperial Oil early 1990s.

Designed by John B. Parkin Associates.

Imperial Oil was awarded a 1964 Massey Medal for Architecture and an honourable mention at the Sao Paulo International Biennale of Architecture and Design.

IMPERIAL OIL BLDG:

Built 1962 - abandoned by Imperial Oil early 1990s.

Designed by John B. Parkin Associates.

Imperial Oil was awarded a 1964 Massey Medal for Architecture and an honourable mention at the Sao Paulo International Biennale of Architecture and Design.

Thanks, Goldie. Did you happen to get the private message I sent you last week re 6 Geraldine Ct? I've contacted one of the DelZotto brothers re a heritage nomination. Did you happen to go inside the house? If so, did you get any pictures, or can you tell me if the interior is still in its original state?

Yeah, Imperial Oil was demo'd in 1992--years before Superstore came up in its place...

Yeah, Imperial Oil was demo'd in 1992--years before Superstore came up in its place...

I thought it was slightly north of the Superstore location, but was demolished around that time. Thanks for the clarification.

Speaking of Don Mills -- how many alterations have occurred on the Don Mills Library? Prior to the modern addition, at its front, was the library in its original form; or had it already been tampered with? Do you think it would still qualify as a heritage building, or has too much of its original character been removed/covered?

One more question. When nominating a building as a heritage structure, there are two options -- 'Nominated for: Listing On Inventory or Designation Under OHA'. Which should I check when filling out a form?

Last edited:
One more question. When nominating a building as a heritage structure, there are two options -- 'Nominated for: Listing On Inventory or Designation Under OHA'. Which should I check when filling out a form?

The listing process goes through Heritage Preservation Services ( a division of the Planning Department), which, if they agree with the premise that the building should be listed, prepares a comprehensive report for City Council, which will vote to add the building onto the Inventory of Heritage Properties. The system is extremely disfunctional because of a combination of bad management within the department and severe under-staffing (check out the thread under Projects & Construction on "Motel 6 - 376 Dundas Street East" in which Councillor McConnell asked staff to prepare a report on listing the building and essentially ignored her request and the building has now been EIFS-ed beyond recognition). In another sad case, the building known as Hungarian House, a handsome Moderne structure on St. Clair near Dufferin, (which was the original home of Shaarei Shomayim Synagogue), was rejected (or ignored) for listing by Preservation Services, largely based on the ambivalence of Councillor Mihevic. The building is now demolished.

Because of this disfunctionality, relatively few buildings get listed nowadays.

http://www.toronto.ca/heritage-preservation/heritage_questions.htm

Last edited:
Listing a building in the inventory is just the city recognizing that a building is a heritage building and adding it to its list of heritage buildings. There is no protection against demolition. The OHA gives the city the ability to refuse demolition of a designated building. Getting a building designated under the OHA is far better.

The listing process goes through Heritage Preservation Services ( a division of the Planning Department), which, if they agree with the premise that the building should be listed, prepares a comprehensive report for City Council, which will vote to add the building onto the Inventory of Heritage Properties. The system is extremely disfunctional because of a combination of bad management within the department and severe under-staffing (check out the thread under Projects & Construction on "Motel 6 - 376 Dundas Street East, in which Councillor McConnell asked staff to prepare a report on listing the building and essentially ignored her request and the building has now been EIFS-ed beyond recognition). In another sad case, the building known as Hungarian House, a handsome Moderne structure on St. Clair near Dufferin, (which was the original home of Shaarei Shomayim Synagogue), was rejected (or ignored) for listing by Preservation Services, largely based on the ambivalence of Councillor Mihevic. The building is now demolished.

Because of this disfunctionality, relatively few buildings get listed nowadays.

http://www.toronto.ca/heritage-preservation/heritage_questions.htm

Thanks. I'm aware of those two buildings and that our heritage system isn't very good. Regardless, I'm still going to try to get some buildings listed/designated. I was just wondering which box would be best to check.

What do you and others think is needed to improve our heritage system. If Karen Stintz ever becomes mayor, I can most likely have this information passed on to her.

Listing a building in the inventory is just the city recognizing that a building is a heritage building and adding it to its list of heritage buildings. There is no protection against demolition. The OHA gives the city the ability to refuse demolition of a designated building. Getting a building designated under the OHA is far better.

Yeah, I know. Let's say I check the OHA box, on the nomination form -- I guess heritage staff could simply just list it if they didn't think it was worthy of a OHA designation? What makes a building so exceptional that it is granted a designation, rather than a listing? Most of our heritage buildings are simply listed, no?

Last edited:
Staff will only designate a building if they think it's in danger. There is a lot of work in preparing a designating bylaw for Council (legal plus heritage staff). Most of the buildings on the Inventory seem to be listed; http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/setup.do?action=init

If you are serious about getting a building listed, filling out forms is the least effective route to go. The three approaches I would recommend would be: 1) Consult a heritage architect (like ERA) for advice; 2) Meet with Heritage Preservation Services; 3) Meet with the Ward Councillor. Other groups include Heritage Toronto and the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario. Remember also that if the land owner is hostile to the idea, it truly will be an uphill battle, but good luck!

Speaking of Don Mills modernism -- I contacted the owners of One Medical Place (20 Wynford Dr -- posted a few pages back) re a heritage nomination. The person I spoke with said they appreciate the design elements that I pointed out and that they've worked hard to maintain the building over the last 9 years, etc., but they aren't interested in pursuing a heritage nomination. Such a piss off. If they appreciate the beauty of the building, why wouldn't they want to preserve it? I'm getting so fed up in my quest to nominate certain buildings. Most owners haven't even bothered to reply to my inquiries on their properties.

Perhaps the last three or four posts help to explain the reasoning of building "owners" who show little interest --- the overabundance of red-tape appears to be something that most businessmen/women would prefer to avoid.

Staff will only designate a building if they think it's in danger. There is a lot of work in preparing a designating bylaw for Council (legal plus heritage staff). Most of the buildings on the Inventory seem to be listed; http://app.toronto.ca/HeritagePreservation/setup.do?action=init

If you are serious about getting a building listed, filling out forms is the least effective route to go. The three approaches I would recommend would be: 1) Consult a heritage architect (like ERA) for advice; 2) Meet with Heritage Preservation Services; 3) Meet with the Ward Councillor. Other groups include Heritage Toronto and the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario. Remember also that if the land owner is hostile to the idea, it truly will be an uphill battle, but good luck!

If I were to consult a heritage architect, what would I ask them? What can they do? For instance, as I've mentioned in this thread, I'm trying to get 6 Geraldine Ct (a house) listed. What would be the best approach for that example? Have you or anyone else on this board been successful in getting any buildings listed? If so, what methods did you use?

Why is filling out forms less effective than actually meeting with Heritage Preservation Services? If I provide them with all the information that they need, isn't that good enough? I can't see myself ever meeting up with a ward councillor or heritage staff. Even if I were to meet up with heritage staff -- wouldn't it still be necessary to fill out a nomination form? I prefer the privacy and convenience of doing things over the internet.

Do Heritage Toronto and the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario also have nomination forms that I could fill out, or is that only possible to do via Heritage Preservation Services?

Last edited:

Back