News   Jul 12, 2024
 729     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 297     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Interesting. I just re-read it and I get the same impression. Toronto bid for the world junior field hockey championships so I don't know where that plays into this

In reality, though, there is not a lot of difference (in a facility this size) between temprorary seating and permanent seating....at least not until you take them away ;)

You seem to know a fair bit about the Pan Am games....when you posted yesterday that this facility would be announced today I was a bit surprised...I had always assumed that Lamport stadium would be the field hockey site (it has been used for the sport often)....is Lamport getting used at all in 2015? (maybe as a practice facility for the rugby at BMO but it seems a bit of a waste of a near 10k spectator facility if that is all).

Well I do my research well and e-mail the right people requesting information. The venue announcement was released yesterday saying it would be today that is why I knew. I think Lamport is a perfect site too but it was never considered. From the bid book till now it has always been at the University of Toronto (the field hockey facility). I think the main reason why is Lamport would have been a stand alone facility which something the organizers wanted to limit. Also if Lamport was selected the city would have to pay (which was not going to happen). I don't think Lamport has any official status for the 2015 Games. I would assume it will be used by rugby teams as a practice site but it has not been designated as such by the organizing committee. For example Birchmount stadium in the eastern part of the city has been designated as a training facility, same with the Etobicoke Olympium.

To sum it up the main reason why field hockey likely went to U of T is the school would be paying at no cost to the city.

Source: Lamport was not used because the pitch is too long. The pitch is usually 2-3 cm short + they need a second field which they got at Uof T

York;s athletics stadium rendering:

dvnlI.png

Not happy with the design -_-

That's terrible -although that upper tier of seating in the main stand is only temporary - at least that's what the plans were two months ago

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...am-games-on-budget/article5664784/?cmpid=rss1

Organizers for the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games says they’re on budget and have five venue projects under construction.

TO2015 has released its first quarterly report to the public, saying it remains on track with its $1.44-billion budget.

Out of a total of $674-million slated for capital projects, the committee says it’s currently $57.5-million under budget.

That figure takes into account the Milton Velodrome that is projected to come in $6-million more than planned.

But the organizers say financial contingencies are built into each budget and the risk of cost increases have been shifted to private sector contractors.

Five construction projects are currently underway – including Toronto’s athletics stadium, aquatics centre and fieldhouse – with four other venue projects expected to start over the next two years.

“This means we’re in excellent shape moving forward with financial cushion that bodes well for any future flexibility we need,” CEO Ian Troop said in a conference call Monday.

“It also means that we’re on time to be able to have our venues ready for test events in 2014.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...am-games-on-budget/article5664784/?cmpid=rss1

Organizers for the Toronto 2015 Pan Am Games says they’re on budget and have five venue projects under construction.

TO2015 has released its first quarterly report to the public, saying it remains on track with its $1.44-billion budget.

Out of a total of $674-million slated for capital projects, the committee says it’s currently $57.5-million under budget.

That figure takes into account the Milton Velodrome that is projected to come in $6-million more than planned.

But the organizers say financial contingencies are built into each budget and the risk of cost increases have been shifted to private sector contractors.

Five construction projects are currently underway – including Toronto’s athletics stadium, aquatics centre and fieldhouse – with four other venue projects expected to start over the next two years.

“This means we’re in excellent shape moving forward with financial cushion that bodes well for any future flexibility we need,†CEO Ian Troop said in a conference call Monday.

“It also means that we’re on time to be able to have our venues ready for test events in 2014.€

Angus Glen will stage the first ever Pan American Games golf tournament.

(Golf Course has hosted previous Canadian Open's and its 10 minutes north of the Markham facility currently being built to host water polo, badminton and table tennis).

Yes Golf was voted onto the Olympic program and effectively the Pan American Games program back in 2009.

Golf will have four medal events (individual and team for both genders) and will be held between July 12-17 2015

Its imminent for the demolition of the East Office Building at York University (so the athletics stadium can start construction).

It's an extremely tight site - there are roads to the north and the south of the stadium - there's a massive wooded lot to the east and there's University buildings to the west.

They could in theory - but it would be difficult

Back