News   Jul 12, 2024
 790     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 713     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 304     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

That is the rendering of the 22,500 seat stadium - which is what the bidders were designing towards. If seats were going to be added it would be in the open endzone areas.

That is the rendering of the 22,500 seat stadium - which is what the bidders were designing towards. If seats were going to be added it would be in the open endzone areas.

I have seen a couple of pics of the stadium with temporary seating in the endzones (single tier seating) captioned with "stadium in 40k mode".....while it is not hard to see temporary seating in those areas...I wonder how you, nearly, double the capacity of the stadium by putting seats in the endzones.

Oh yeah - this one

2di1zzt.jpg

Last edited:
yep....that's one...there is another I have seen showing similar seating at the other end.

So, you have to wonder how a stadium that has two tiers of seating running down a 110 yard + endzones field for a total of 22k gets to 40k by plunking that many seats running the width of the stadium at each end?

Yeah - I'm not buying the 40K number either.

The drawings I saw for each proposal with temporary seating only pushed capacity to 36K

Yeah - I'm not buying the 40K number either.

The drawings I saw for each proposal with temporary seating only pushed capacity to 36K

I may have made a "leap"...I have seen articles with the various pictures....then in the text they use the words "expandable to 40k".....40k is, I believe, the minimum capacity that the CFL will accept for Grey Cups now ....so if it is only 36k....that's an "oops".

Wow. It's funny see sometimes squabbling over details without doing research regarding expansion for Grey Cups.

97th Grey Cup (Calgary) - Added 13000 to capacity in one endzone (U shaped because of admin building.)
92nd Grey Cup (Ottawa) - Added over 20,000 temp seats in endzones.
91st Grey Cup (Regina) - Same as above.

This design allows for temp seats on both sides. Adding the 18000 or so required for the Grey Cup is going to be easy.

Wow. It's funny see sometimes squabbling over details without doing research regarding expansion for Grey Cups.

97th Grey Cup (Calgary) - Added 13000 to capacity in one endzone (U shaped because of admin building.)

This design allows for temp seats on both sides. Adding the 18000 or so required for the Grey Cup is going to be easy.

I was actually at the 92nd Grey Cup and what i remember is that the temporary seating in the endzones towered way above the height of seating sections on either side. (it was the first time I had ever been in a stadium and watched those towering temporary seats and wondered how safe I would feel if I was sitting at the top of them).

It makes sense....if you are dealing with, roughly, half of the ground space and adding, roughly, the same amount of seats then you have to go higher.....the renderings (which is the only point I was making without doing research, was that those renderings which show lower seating sections at the ends yielding much the same amount of seats as the sidelines don't make sense.....ie. I was not saying you could not add 20k seats at the ends - just that those renderings do not do that...I will stand by that poorly researched comment.

Interesting. I just re-read it and I get the same impression. Toronto bid for the world junior field hockey championships so I don't know where that plays into this

Back