News   Jul 12, 2024
 584     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 602     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 281     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

Hazel McCallion wants ‘Mississauga first’ at airport

Read More: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/02/21/hazel_mccallion_wants_mississauga_first_at_airport.html

Shove over, Toronto, Mississauga wants the limelight. When tens of thousands of visitors fly in for the Pan Am Games in 2015, Mayor Hazel McCallion wants them to know exactly where they’re landing — Mississauga, not Toronto.

“I would ask you to make sure that the banner at the airport . . . that it recognizes Mississauga, because the airport is in Mississauga, except for a very small corner — with nothing on it — that is in Toronto,†said McCallion after Ian Troop, Pan Am chief executive officer, made a presentation to council. “I think it’s extremely important that they’re welcomed to Toronto, yes, but to Mississauga first. And then they go to Toronto, OK?â€

welcome_to_toronto.jpg.size.xxlarge.promo.jpg

Thanks intoronto1125!

re: Mississauga

Gawd, someone should remind Hazel that it is Toronto Pearson International Airport, not Mississauga Pearson International Airport in the Greater Toronto Area.

AoD

Thanks intoronto1125!

re: Mississauga

Gawd, someone should remind Hazel that it is Toronto Pearson International Airport, not Mississauga Pearson International Airport in the Greater Toronto Area.

AoD

Your welcome.

And lol@Hazel's anti-Toronto agenda. Seriously when travellers come to Pearson they believe they are coming to Toronto.

Next time Hazel should ask the IOC to hold the PanAm games in Mississauga. Then she can plaster Mississauga all over TORONTO Pearson International Airport.

Well, to be fair, the province sold the idea of getting PASO's games granted to the Golden Horseshoe....not Toronto....yes, as things evolved, they have become a bit more Toronto centric but they were not to be, originally, the Toronto Pan Am games.

An easy compromise for the signage is is something like "Welcome to Toronto Pearson International Airport, Mississauga, Ontario".

I think that most travelers "get" that major city airports are not located, generally, in within the municipal boundaries of the city that the airport primarily serves.

I hate to break it to you Hazel, but no international traveller cares about the name of the sleepy suburb where their destination city's international airport is located.
The day they start referring to Detroit airport as Romulus airport, or London Heathrow as Hillingdon airport, or Vancouver airport as Richmond airport ...

... good grief Hazel, stick the tin pot back on your head and march around the house again ...

I agree. However, does anyone here feel that in the future (5-10 years) this small stadium could be bumped up to a 25000 seater to accomodate the argos?

The Argos need to remain as visible as possible and that means downtown. Sticking them out in the suburbs might be the worst thing they could do.

The day they start referring to Detroit airport as Romulus airport, or London Heathrow as Hillingdon airport, or Vancouver airport as Richmond airport ...

... good grief Hazel, stick the tin pot back on your head and march around the house again ...

The Mississauga Mayor is not asking for the airport to be renamed....she is asking that welcome signs note that the airport is in Mississauga. Not saying she is right about that but we should not be restating her "ask" to make it sound ridiculous.

The Argos need to remain as visible as possible and that means downtown. Sticking them out in the suburbs might be the worst thing they could do.

That is probably true.....but they themselves have stated they need/want to be in a smaller, more "intimate", stadium....the economics of building such a stadium downtown are not in their favour.

That is probably true.....but they themselves have stated they need/want to be in a smaller, more "intimate", stadium....the economics of building such a stadium downtown are not in their favour.

I always thought they should build a similar stadium to TFC right next door to TFC.... people have adapted well to this site and it would be the correct size for the team. If they want to host the Grey Cup then they can use the Rogers Centre...

I always thought they should build a similar stadium to TFC right next door to TFC.... people have adapted well to this site and it would be the correct size for the team. If they want to host the Grey Cup then they can use the Rogers Centre...

Not sure the people who run the Ex would be able to support another permanent facility on the grounds the size of a football stadium (just by field size alone it would take up more ground than BMO does).....permanent facilities eat into the space they have for the annual event they run....so factor in BMO and already planned additions (the hotel) and I bet you they would say there is no more room for another stadium.

That said the ownership group who had the Argos at the time had every opportunity to participate in BMO Field before it was built......they declined....we will never know if making it work for both types of football would have detracted from it's appeal as a soccer stadium (likely) because they passed on the opportunity (looking instead at the time at a facility at York) and that ship has sailed.

The Mississauga Mayor is not asking for the airport to be renamed....she is asking that welcome signs note that the airport is in Mississauga. Not saying she is right about that but we should not be restating her "ask" to make it sound ridiculous.
I've never seen Hillingdon signs at Heathrow, Romulus signs in Detroit, though I'm scratching my head about Richmond signs in Vancouver.

It's a bizarre, self-centred request.

Back