News   Jul 12, 2024
 727     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 669     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 297     0 

Toronto 2015 Pan American Games

It's an extremely tight site - there are roads to the north and the south of the stadium - there's a massive wooded lot to the east and there's University buildings to the west.

They could in theory - but it would be difficult

100% agreed. I walk beside there almost everyday and the space is extremely tight.

Blame the City of Hamilton for that

Blame the City of Hamilton for that

Exactly. Milton is the fastest expanding city in Canada so in few years time it will be accessible by bike.

I didn;t post this earlier but women's baseball (its debut) and men's softball (first time since 2003) are added to the program. Women's canoeing singles will be added in sprint and slalom (slalom as a whole will be held for the first time). Finally golf will make its debut.

Milton itself is not the problem, but where in Milton.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.47640...d=a9knNLiCnMOuu2UBrhAMPw&cbp=12,134.8,,0,2.49

If they get their university there one day the location won't be so terrible, but it would be nice if it was within a 15 minute ride of the GO station for example, so that people from other parts of the GTA could bring their bicycles and ride to the thing. As it stands it will be completely isolated from the rest of the town.

Exactly. Milton is the fastest expanding city in Canada so in few years time it will be accessible by bike.

Milton is only the fastest growing municipality in Canada if you use the the very questionable measure of percentage growth.

Not questioning that The Town of Milton is growing but it gets far too much attention/press for that title than it warrants.

There are lots of fast growing places in Canada.....in the 2011 Census Calgary reported nearly 13% growth while Milton reported 57% growth......who really added more people? When you start with a small number, it is a lot easier to get a high percentage. Interesting trivial comparison in this area from the last census........Milton grew by 57% v Brampton's meager 20%......yet Brampton's population grew by a number equal to the total population (after the 57% is added) of Milton.......is Milton really the "fastest growing city in Canada?"

Last edited:
If they get their university there one day the location won't be so terrible, but it would be nice if it was within a 15 minute ride of the GO station for example, so that people from other parts of the GTA could bring their bicycles and ride to the thing. As it stands it will be completely isolated from the rest of the town.

It's a 22 minute ride from the station

Milton itself is not the problem, but where in Milton.

https://maps.google.ca/?ll=43.47640...d=a9knNLiCnMOuu2UBrhAMPw&cbp=12,134.8,,0,2.49

We bike out in that area -- so it works for me :)

24 minutes. Same amount of time it takes to drive from Union Station to York University. Do you feel compelled to make that drive?

In a town where almost everything is within 10 minutes cycling distance, to put this facility 24 minutes away from the GO station seems unnecessary - is all.

Pink Lucy, you find cars give you enough space in rural country roads here in Ontario? I'd like to hear your pespective. Would you ever ride on the sidewalk in the suburbs?

RC8, we love biking around Milton on the rural roads -- drivers are awesome. There are a lot of cyclists out on any given weekend, and apart from the odd idiot (maybe one per ride), we haven't had any issues at all. We generally bike from Mississauga, up around Milton, sometimes over to Burlington -- depends on the distance we're doing. We do anywhere from 60km to 200km per ride. No sidewalks for me!

24 minutes. Same amount of time it takes to drive from Union Station to York University. Do you feel compelled to make that drive?

If I had to drive from Union Station to go to school there then yes I would.

The video for the aquatic centre is up too, FYI:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGKKPRUGGmI

Not the most architecturally inspiring project (just look at all those trusses!) - that being said, the scale of the project is another thing entirely.

AoD

That video is old came out last year. Here is the same video with commentary:

[video=youtube;PoKQVFsGuFo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=PoKQVFsGuFo[/video]

Back