News   Jul 19, 2024
 499     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 788     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

No you're right hockey is definitely the undisputed sport of Toronto, followed by basketball if the Raptors are good. Northern uprising yall: elevate all transit! It's the red hot LRT revival. We the north-bound on Line 1 Yonge.
;) Yup, and I was going to say, people kill the TTC on twitter all the time so it's at least top 5 :D

Making it "fully grade separated" (I assume you mean HRT). Is a bad idea. That would essentially make any extension of the line east of Kennedy or west of Mt. Dennis impossible. The reason we chose underground LRT is because it could be underground in the central portion, while having the flexibility to provide service in areas where there isn't enough demand for HRT/subway.
There is not going to me an extension east of kennedy, there's going to be a transfer for the morningside LRT. TTC does not want to run a long line for some reason. Now, you assume today there will be no demand, when there could be. Having said that, does not mean grade seperation is right for today, or even eglinton east. The problem is the left turns and the transfer if Olivia gets her way.

Her comments about extra busses are the most encouraging thing I've heard from a politician RE transit in a long time. It's one of the few times I've seen a politician acknowledge that operations are just as important as capital expenditures.

The next best thing I've heard from any mayoral candidate is a plan that would essentially duplicate what GO is doing with electrification at more than four times the cost.

Agree with this. An immediate way to restore respect to the TTC to return to pre frequencies they had in 2005-06 for bus routes.

to avoid this

6a00d83454714d69e2013485539e41970c-320wi

and this

images

Would reduce the scepticism and critics on the LRT projects. People fear that the LRT will be similar to our current streetcars line that are operating in their own ROW

I live along spadina. The amount of times I've seen a car crash into a streetcar on the ROW is zero. I take the 510 Spadina daily and the amount of times I've been delayed by a car hitting a streetcar is zero. Those barriers aren't needed. Toronto drivers are smart enough not drive into the 50 tonne vehicle coming down the street.

;) Yup, and I was going to say, people kill the TTC on twitter all the time so it's at least top 5 :D

There is not going to me an extension east of kennedy, there's going to be a transfer for the morningside LRT.

You meant to say Malvern LRT.

TTC does not want to run a long line for some reason.

I think this has more to do with the SRT being interlined with the ECLRT back in the TC days. Now that it's not longer an option, they may be open to the Malvern LRT being continuous with Eglinton.

Now, you assume today there will be no demand

There have been plenty of reports published on the matter. They all come to the same conclusion.

The problem is the left turns and the transfer if Olivia gets her way.

What's the problem with left turns? Will there be no left turns on Eglinton with the ECLRT?

You meant to say Malvern LRT.
Scaborough Malvern LRT. Same thing
I think this has more to do with the SRT being interlined with the ECLRT back in the TC days. Now that it's not longer an option, they may be open to the Malvern LRT being continuous with Eglinton.

The deal Ford made with McGuinty was a good one. But people don't like Ford so that was over fast. TTC would not like seeing crowds before Don Mills which is what would happen with an interlined Malvern-Eglinton line. Therefore grade seperation to accommodate them.

There have been plenty of reports published on the matter. They all come to the same conclusion.
For the same people that claimed Eglinton West and Shepaprd East were viable subways 25 years ago.

What's the problem with left turns? Will there be no left turns on Eglinton with the ECLRT?
I should have written the SRT, I was reading a driving manual at the time :)

I live along spadina. The amount of times I've seen a car crash into a streetcar on the ROW is zero. I take the 510 Spadina daily and the amount of times I've been delayed by a car hitting a streetcar is zero. Those barriers aren't needed. Toronto drivers are smart enough not drive into the 50 tonne vehicle coming down the street.

When my parents came to visit me in Toronto our 510 Streetcar hit a car on the ROW on Queen's Quay. It's not because you never witnessed it that it never happened

When my parents came to visit me in Toronto our 510 Streetcar hit a car on the ROW on Queen's Quay. It's not because you never witnessed it that it never happened

I never said it never happened. what I was trying to say was that it was rare occurrence. So rare that it's not worth making accommodations for.
It's rare though. Spadina is also not LRT so we should just take that into account.

It happens. So do subway closures & delays when someone jumps on the tracks or a dog wanders on the open track (happened to me once), or the signalling system goes down, or fire at track level or emergency alarm goes off.

It happened when I was on the St Clair streetcar, service stopped for 5-10 min, then resumed.

It happened when I was on the Yonge subway, someone jumped onto the tracks and the whole subway shut down for a while. We got off to get on a shuttle bus, waited 20 minutes, then got back onto the subway.

It was inconvenient every time but it's a fact of life.

I think this is quite a rare occurrence. Streetcar lines constantly get shut down due to construction and constantly get shut down when there is yet another special event (why the city allows special events to close streetcar lines is questionable).

Toronto drivers are smart enough not drive into the 50 tonne vehicle coming down the street.

I hope so, however they've never seen a light rail line in the suburbs before, so they will have to get used to it. In Houston, drivers seemed to be bewildered by the new light rail system, and they keep crashing into it.

[video=youtube_share;OwcYcedLxZc]http://youtu.be/OwcYcedLxZc[/video]

So are these drivers* in Houston stupid, incompetent, reckless or just plain old inconsiderate?

*The ones crashing

This problem seems to plague LRT systems everywhere.

Automated elevated rail is much better than LRT, and in the case of the Canada Line is far cheaper than Eglinton.

Not to diminish the achievement of Canada Line, but one has to wonder how the latter will support capacity expansion beyond the rated 15K given the short platforms. Frequency increase can only get you so far.

AoD

Back