News   Jul 19, 2024
 396     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

It annoys and worries me that we have to wait another 3 years for construction to even start on Sheppard. Finch is supposed to start in 2015, so we'll see if they come up with more excuses & delays or they actually start next year.

What worries me is if they keep delaying construction year after year.

2015? I hadn't realized construction would take so long. It isn't scheduled to open until 2020,

2023. Let the LRT go. It's dead. Even Chow can't get the LRT back on track now. Onward with the subway extension, the DRL and other LRT projects.
2025 or 2026. Unless you have a good excuse for the rest of the GTA as to why this subway would open before the DRL.
It annoys and worries me that we have to wait another 3 years for construction to even start on Sheppard. Finch is supposed to start in 2015, so we'll see if they come up with more excuses & delays or they actually start next year.

What worries me is if they keep delaying construction year after year.

Don't talk to me about trips to UTSC or Rouge.

If the SELRT had been built as planned my commute to that area would have been so much easier. Rob Ford's unauthorized backroom deal with McGuinty totally screwed me over. Ughh if I ever run into either one of those screw ups... :mad:

2015? I hadn't realized construction would take so long. It isn't scheduled to open until 2020,

Yup. Finch begins next year and Sheppard 2 years after. I don't get, why 2017? I am just worried about excuses like you ehlow. There is no reason not to build finch. Tiger I hear you about UTSC lol I have never wanted to drive out there and transit is about 3 to 4 transfers and 3 hours across the city. It's easier to go to Whitby or Newmarket! The Dean Park extension won't cost more then 100 million and hopefully they get in back in play soon. I wish the Malvern LRT came back too. I think both LRTs can be done in 24 months since they are above ground. We'll see.

I'm more and more inclined to think chow will broker deal to not cause political shit storm for libs after only couple months in powe and will broker something beneficial to all. Scarborough gets its subway and we get something else paid for in return
Agreed. They'll do some horse-trading, Scarborough will get its subway, and Chow will get a partial or full return of the TTC subsidy, or something else.

Chances of each happening:
SELRT - 80%
Nothing - 15%
Subway - 5%
I'd say more like:
SELRT or nothing - 99.9%
Subway - 0.1%

2025 or 2026. Unless you have a good excuse for the rest of the GTA as to why this subway would open before the DRL.
Simple, B-D is further ahead in planning, and has money and political will behind it right now.

Agreed. They'll do some horse-trading, Scarborough will get its subway, and Chow will get a partial or full return of the TTC subsidy, or something else.

I'd say more like:
SELRT or nothing - 99.9%
Subway - 0.1%

Simple, B-D is further ahead in planning, and has money and political will behind it right now.

This absurd SELRT proposal is why Chow will never get my vote. Getting rid of bus route 190 will make a lot of people angry. It is seriously much worse than simply building nothing.

This absurd SELRT proposal is why Chow will never get my vote. Getting rid of bus route 190 will make a lot of people angry. It is seriously much worse than simply building nothing.

And a lot more people on the 85 bus will be happy to get higher quality transit. :D

Technically, an express bus between the Don Mills terminus and STC can be retained. Just re-routed via Ellesmere, York Mills, and Don Mills.

Agreed. One thing about the SELRT: It goes far east. Suddenly a Trip to UTSC or Rouge Park is not a hike anymore. It should start next year but it won't start until 2017.

Without SELRT, it would be a hike. We definitely do not want to associate Rouge Park with "hike"

There's no way in hell the Liberals are going to drop the federally-boosted, fully-funded Scarborough subway for a switch back to LRT. Kathleen Wynne has staked her entire political reputation on the image that she's a do-er, not a talker. if Chow asks for a change in plans, she'll give Chow, in classic Wynne style, a speech about how Torontoians want building, not debating, and say NO.

As for the SELRT (and the FWLRT as well), aren't they already fully funded from that $8B commitment McGuinty made to Toronto transit way back when?

If I recall, just after taking over as Premiere, Wynne staked her entire political reputation on the fact that the only way to fund transit was with new revenue tools. Then before, during and after the election, she says she can do it without them.

If I recall, just after taking over as Premiere, Wynne staked her entire political reputation on the fact that the only way to fund transit was with new revenue tools. Then before, during and after the election, she says she can do it without them.

The general public will easily forgive her for not introducing new taxes. Not building a promised subway is another matter.

I'd say more like:
SELRT or nothing - 99.9%
Subway - 0.1%

And a lot more people on the 85 bus will be happy to get higher quality transit. :D
Bloor Danforth? They have barely done anything. And people up there want the subway Jay. Don't get it twisted, we are just discussing reality here
The general public will easily forgive her for not introducing new taxes. Not building a promised subway is another matter.

A subway promised during a by election for a riding it does not go through. One that barely passed CC?

So you want $100's of million dollars wasted on a subway to/from STC for a few riders that can be carry by a bus. Lets hope that every 5th train goes east of Kennedy Station as that is being nice to carry those few people even then. You and everyone who want the white elephant should be force to pay out of your pocket the high cost of subsidizing riders for it. Current Sheppard cost $17 per rider and what do you expect the STC line will be????

There is a plan to have a branch line for the SELRT to go to STC, but down the road.

Now try to fast track
SELRT since it supposed to be running this year under the old plan.

As for the BD extension, I hope common sense take place and it is cancel and go back to LRT as plan. Time Metrolinx get a backbone and power to override dumb ideas as this extension. In 2005, I would had supported the extension then if the Scarborough boys who sat on TTC commission had push the issues like they should, but back down at the end because of the chair.

A subway promised during a by election for a riding it does not go through. One that barely passed CC?

So what. They had an idea that the subway promise makes their position stronger back then, even though it does not go through that riding. Why would they backtrack now, given that the subway does not cost any extra money to the province.

So what. They had an idea that the subway promise makes their position stronger back then, even though it does not go through that riding. Why would they backtrack now, given that the subway does not cost any extra money to the province.

It does because its a new plan. It costs zero to go back to the SRT. Are you going to tell me Chow is wrong on this? It matters because they won't lose the riding if people don't care. And please that by election had nothing to do with the subway. Straight out of Wynne's mouth unless you have some insider info we don't know about. Man, you don't know politics well to be saying it won't happen. m

It does because its a new plan. It costs zero to go back to the SRT. Are you going to tell me Chow is wrong on this? It matters because they won't lose the riding if people don't care. And please that by election had nothing to do with the subway. Straight out of Wynne's mouth unless you have some insider info we don't know about. Man, you don't know politics well to be saying it won't happen. m

I personally think that Chow is wrong on this issue. Strategically we should bite that bullet and give Scarborough one subway line, so they stop complaining about being left out become more supportive of transit projects elsewhere in the city.

In reality, it does not matter what I think; what matters is the outcome for those in control. Provincial Liberals lose nothing and do not pay anything extra if they continue to support the subway, while they will take some beating if they flip-flop again.

If it was a real dilemma for them, one kind of damage this way or another damage that way, then we could debate which damage is less severe. But this is a no-brainer.

I personally think that Chow is wrong on this issue. Strategically we should bite that bullet and give Scarborough one subway line, so they stop complaining about being left out become more supportive of transit projects elsewhere in the city.

In reality, it does not matter what I think; what matters is the outcome for those in control. Provincial Liberals lose nothing and do not pay anything extra if they continue to support the subway, while they will take some beating if they flip-flop again.

If it was a real dilemma for them, one kind of damage this way or another damage that way, then we could debate which damage is less severe. But this is a no-brainer.
If they took a beating over e-health and won, this is nothing. These people won;t vote for the leaderless PCs.

Back