News   Jul 19, 2024
 414     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.8K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 683     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I'm not buying that argument.

Yes it sets an ugly precedent, but SELRT and SRT are different beasts. Subway plan isn't bad at all in place of the SRT and it doesn't cost much extra. Sheppard on the other hand has no where near the ridership demand and will cost an incredible amount of money that we don't have and if we did have, would go to the DRL. Sheppard will require the support of council and even if Ford got re-elected, no way council will go with the subway.

You know where the ugly precedent could re-appear in the future? Eglinton East and Eglinton West. If local Councillors start asking for it to be underground like in Midtown instead of "second-class in-median streetcar hogging my road", then we might see something happen. I hope Eglinton East at least is too far gone to change plans.

Neither does Bloor Danforth. This idea that the the Bloor Danforth extension is a good idea and Sheppard East is not is ridiculous. They both are and neither should be built at all. In fact one could say the point of the SELRT is to stop subway expansion.

For eglinton, they won't ask the East part to be buried, they can't tear up Kingston Road/Hwy 2 for a long imo. Eglinton West, I agree, and its the same thing which is why I'm against Bloor Danforth. The problem is Eglinton was supposed to be all on the surface.

Others have already posted at length about how the ridership of the B-D extension is enough for subways.

B-D extension will have more ridership than the eastern portion of the DRL.

Others have already posted at length about how the ridership of the B-D extension is enough for subways.

B-D extension will have more ridership than the eastern portion of the DRL.

I doubt that considering B-D will be below the stand and the East DRL will be the busiest part. West DRL, fine. the Dundas West to Weston would be less used on phase 2 or 3. Neither Subway is a good idea. At all.

Neither does Bloor Danforth. This idea that the the Bloor Danforth extension is a good idea and Sheppard East is not is ridiculous. They both are and neither should be built at all. In fact one could say the point of the SELRT is to stop subway expansion.

Why does it have to be both or none? they are different routes with different ridership projections.

Sheppard subway has projections of 5000 ppphd in 2031, which is half the minimum (10,000).

McCowan/Scarborough subway has projections of 9500-14000 ppphd in 2031, which exceeds the minimum for a subway (10,000).

Why does it have to be both or none? they are different routes with different ridership projections.

Sheppard subway has projections of 5000 ppphd in 2031, which is half the minimum (10,000).

McCowan/Scarborough subway has projections of 9500-14000 ppphd in 2031, which exceeds the minimum for a subway (10,000).
Please source this. I have McCowan Sheppard 8500, not anything close to Subway.
It will become none or all because if you give an inch they will take a mile

The problem is Eglinton was supposed to be all on the surface.

Eglinton was never supposed to be all on surface. This is physically impossible in the central section, and the said part was supposed to be in the tunnel from the first day Transit City was announced.

The debate was around the Weston Road area (initially on surface, but later moved underground), and the section between Laird and Don Mills (so far, remains on surface).

Eglinton was never supposed to be all on surface. This is physically impossible in the central section, and the said part was supposed to be in the tunnel from the first day Transit City was announced.

The debate was around the Weston Road area (initially on surface, but later moved underground), and the section between Laird and Don Mills (so far, remains on surface).

The central part was put underground because it was completely unacceptable to reduce Eglinton to 3 (total) lanes. But now, after spending $4B on tunnelling and underground stations, we are perfectly happy to reduce Eglinton to 3 lanes.

And what's this about "(so far, remains on surface)". The election made it abundantly clear that this will not change. You cannot get change by voting for the status quo.

Last edited:

The central part was put underground because it was completely unacceptable to reduce Eglinton to 3 (total) lanes. But now, after spending $4B on tunnelling and underground stations, we are perfectly happy to reduce Eglinton to 3 lanes.

And what's this about "(so far, remains on surface)". The election made it abundantly clear that this will not change. You cannot get change by voting for the status quo.

That's false rainforest. Miller never intended for the Dufferin-Bayview section to be underground.

Of Eglinton? It was underground from day 1 when Miller announced it. I'd provide links, but perhaps I've misinterpreted what your saying, as we all know this ...

Way back on the drawing board Miller intended it to be all above ground, but like BurlOak said people didn't want to lose a lane on eglinton, so at the first official presentation, the Dufferin-Bayview section was underground. What I want to know how come the Black Creek-Dufferin section is nearly all underground as well, given the line is not busy enough to warrant that.

Way back on the drawing board Miller intended it to be all above ground, but like BurlOak said people didn't want to lose a lane on eglinton, so at the first official presentation, the Dufferin-Bayview section was underground. What I want to know how come the Black Creek-Dufferin section is nearly all underground as well, given the line is not busy enough to warrant that.
There is a thing call hills & valley with steep slope.

Since Black Creek is a very busy intersection, pressure was used to raise Black Creek.

By having the Black Creek elevated, it made things easier to tunnel under Weston Rd so the line was almost at grade when it hit Jane St.

You have to go under GO Barrie line before you can get to the surface and by then you are near Black Creek where you can.

I push both the elevation and tunneling under Weston when it was off the table and happy it there now, as it made sense in the first place.

I still wish they bury the yard and have development 100% on top of it.

Dufferin to Keele is busy and I live 2 blocks from Dufferin on Eglinton growing up.

Its time to remove on street parking on major roads 7/24.

Removal of the bus lanes (and buses) and street parking on Eglinton would be a massive forward step.

I'm looking forward to Eglinton Connects as much as I am the opening of the subway.

There is a thing call hills & valley with steep slope.

Since Black Creek is a very busy intersection, pressure was used to raise Black Creek.

By having the Black Creek elevated, it made things easier to tunnel under Weston Rd so the line was almost at grade when it hit Jane St.

You have to go under GO Barrie line before you can get to the surface and by then you are near Black Creek where you can.

I push both the elevation and tunneling under Weston when it was off the table and happy it there now, as it made sense in the first place.

I still wish they bury the yard and have development 100% on top of it.

Dufferin to Keele is busy and I live 2 blocks from Dufferin on Eglinton growing up.

Its time to remove on street parking on major roads 7/24.

Thanks. Figures you can't built LRT up a hell essentially. So I have never heard what you think about the Pearson-Jane extension, drum, what do you think?

Removal of the bus lanes (and buses) and street parking on Eglinton would be a massive forward step.

I'm looking forward to Eglinton Connects as much as I am the opening of the subway.
They will still run bus service on eglinton I heard.

I'm not too preoccupied about 1 bus coming every 15-30 minutes.

The current rows of 7-8 buses conglomerating at every major intersection on Eglinton during rush hour is the problem.

Way back on the drawing board Miller intended it to be all above ground, but like BurlOak said people didn't want to lose a lane on eglinton, so at the first official presentation, the Dufferin-Bayview section was underground.
The first presentation was March 16, 2007. The first mention in the media that something was coming was March 15, 2007. Perhaps there was early talk of it being above-ground - we certainly heard that there was early talk of putting LRT on Kipling, but the numbers didn't add up - but it doesn't really matter, as the proposal from day 1 (March 16, 2007) was underground - as you can see in the discussion we had at the time. urbantoronto.ca/forum/showthread.php/2935-Transit-City-Plan

Back