News   Jul 19, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I think she is be very silent about it and pile on Tory and Ford instead. No sense antagonizing your future moneymaker when you have everything to gain. Nobody is going to care much if they end up getting a BD extension and an improvement in local service.

AoD

and the BD extension might take most of the air out of the SSAC. No longer can Scarborough complain about no subways...funny enough there were more Sheppard Subway signs than election signs in many parts of Agincourt. It wouldn't be wise for Chow to make enemies of them.

Their base voted to keep the Liberals in because jobs (both public and private) were the number 1 issue. There is no alternative at this moment to vote for. The Liberals have been and still are LRT champions, look at all the projects that are LRT based.

Doesn't mean they are LRT Champions. The cities that submitted those projects are the LRT Champions. York Region are obviously the "Subway Champions". Big difference

If Miller would have asked McGuinty for the DRL from Eglinton to Dundas West + Eginton Subway, you think the province would have said no? Of Course not. The Liberals had money to spend on Transit and Miller "True LRT Champion" choose Transit City instead. The province writes the cheque if they have the budget for it.

Last edited:
Mitizie Hunter got elected in a far east riding that has almost always been Liberal in recent history. A riding that can be reached only by a Malvern LRT. Wynne said herself that the subway had nothing to do with the by election. The Scarborough subway was far from a unanimous vote and the province already said they will work with whatever decision the city makes. The original deal form the SRT is the only one signed still and the city is prepping for both the SRT and Scarborough Subway now.

The Liberals won 5 seats in Scarborough as "subway champions". Do you think they'll put that at risk?

Nothing to do with the by-election? Give me a break. They clearly switched to supporting the subway in order to win votes in Scarborough and it worked.

Obviously not but the majority didn't vote for Wynne either

Yes, the "majority" hasn't voted for anyone for awhile. I can understand your need to quibble, but the fact of the matter is there is no silent majority voting for Hudak like you've predicted - in fact, the opposite seems to have occurred. Keep that thought in mind.

AoD

Doesn't mean they are LRT Champions. The cities that submitted those projects are the LRT Champions. York Region are obviously the "Subway Champions". Big difference

If Miller would have asked McGuinty for the DRL from Eglinton to Dundas West + Eginton Subway, you think the province would have said no? Of Course not. The Liberals had money to spend on Transit and Miller "True LRT Champion" choose Transit City instead. The province writes the cheque if they have the budget for it.
LRT is central to the big move though. You can't say they aren't and then blame them for city council's ineptness. Or for not choosing subways in the first place.

The Liberals won 5 seats in Scarborough as "subway champions". Do you think they'll put that at risk?

Nothing to do with the by-election? Give me a break. They clearly switched to supporting the subway in order to win votes in Scarborough and it worked.
Not last night they didn't.

Kathleen Wynne says the by election was not related here - http://metronews.ca/news/toronto/1057887/kathleen-wynne-denies-liberal-support-of-scarborough-subway-switch-was-politically-motivated/

Last edited:
LRT is central to the big move though. You can't say they aren't and them blame them for city council's ineptness.

It's Central to the Big move because the last council submitted Transit City instead of the DRL. It wasn't the province that came up with it, they just included it in their Big move plan and write a cheque. I'm not blaming Metrolinx, I blame the previous council.

Yes, the "majority" hasn't voted for anyone for awhile. I can understand your need to quibble, but the fact of the matter is there is no silent majority voting for Hudak like you've predicted - in fact, the opposite seems to have occurred. Keep that thought in mind.

AoD

At least you could quote me correctly. I claimed that the silent majority were not against cutting public service jobs. Not the same thing. I did however thought that Hudak could win a minority until he fumbled the ball in Ottawa about the LRT.

It was his election to lose and he did in a very horrible way. Wynne was the better politician.

Are you saying Wynne won with the majority of eligible voters? Now that would be a good laugh!

Maybe not, but voter turnout was 52%, 3 points higher than in the 2011 election. I believe the Liberals took 37% of the vote and the PC took 31%, and the NDP took 26%.

Certainly a fair critique of first past the post, though.

Last edited:
Are you saying Wynne won with the majority of eligible voters? Now that would be a good laugh!

I said that? Lol that was a good laugh!

Btw voter turnout is up compared to last time. But lets face it, your guy lost by a long shot. Not only that, he lost 10 seats, got completely shut out of Toronto, and got less of the popular vote. That silent majority went out and voted not for PC, but against the PCs. Thank you Hudak, don't the the door hit your ass on the way out.

Maybe not, but voter turnout was 52%, 3 points higher than in the 2011 election. I believe the Liberals took 37% of the vote and the PC took 31%, and the NDP took 26%.

Certainly a fair critique of first past the post, though.

It is - though it does speak to urban/rural/labour vote divide as well.

AoD

Okay being this thread is about the sheppard subway, does anyone actually think this will happen? I don't.

Who knows. I certainly don't think that the Sheppard LRT is likely to get built. This is because the province needs billions for GO expansion and the DRL, because John Tory is against it, because the Scarborough Liberal caucus is against it, and because David Miller is no longer in power and was really the only person who strongly supported it. Ditto the Finch LRT. (Notice that the city is doing road construction there under the assumption that won't be built). I think that 20 years from now we will still be riding overcrowded bus 85 and 190.

Who knows. I certainly don't think that the Sheppard LRT is likely to get built. This is because the province needs billions for GO expansion and the DRL, because John Tory is against it, because the Scarborough Liberal caucus is against it, and because David Miller is no longer in power and was really the only person who strongly supported it. Ditto the Finch LRT. (Notice that the city is doing road construction there under the assumption that won't be built). I think that 20 years from now we will still be riding overcrowded bus 85 and 190.

They already said they would build sheppard though. I think the LRT will happen.

I want proof of this, like I said several pages ago. There is nothing to indicate Scarborough Liberal MPPs are against the SELRT, and if there is, I want to see it.

Back