News   Jul 19, 2024
 395     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

I want proof of this, like I said several pages ago. There is nothing to indicate Scarborough Liberal MPPs are against the SELRT, and if there is, I want to see it.

Go to steve munros website and on google images, twitter, flickr and instragram there are pictures of people supporting Liberal MPP Soo Wong and having sheppard east subway signs on their lawn. Take from that what you will.

Maybe not, but voter turnout was 52%, 3 points higher than in the 2011 election. I believe the Liberals took 37% of the vote and the PC took 31%, and the NDP took 26%.
If your going to round the result this time was 39%, 31%, and 24%, compared to 38%, 35%, and 23% in 2011.

If Chow gets elected it will be because of vote splitting of the right wing vote between Tory and Ford. I am pretty sure that the number of people who hate Chow is much larger than the number of people who support her. From what I can tell, LRT is unpopular and the majority of the population is against it. (I remember the Transit City public meetings where "we should build a subway" was the #1 comment on the comment sheets). I think that if Ford drops out or stays in rehab forever, Tory will win. I assume that Tory will be able to convince city council to get what he wants, thus no Finch or Sheppard LRT and the money will be used for GO instead. The provincial government is strapped for cash, and GO and the DRL will suck up $15-20 billion which means no money for Finch or Sheppard I suspect.

The fact that the Liberal platform deliberately did not state what kind of transit solution would be built on Finch and Sheppard is a dead giveaway. Building BRT or nothing on those routes is likely. Is any real work happening on these routes at all? There haven't been any public meetings or anything recently, and the city is doing construction on Finch West.

Who knows. I certainly don't think that the Sheppard LRT is likely to get built. This is because the province needs billions for GO expansion and the DRL, because John Tory is against it, because the Scarborough Liberal caucus is against it, and because David Miller is no longer in power and was really the only person who strongly supported it. Ditto the Finch LRT. (Notice that the city is doing road construction there under the assumption that won't be built). I think that 20 years from now we will still be riding overcrowded bus 85 and 190.

It's much more likely that nothing is built (neither LRT or subway) than the subway being built.

I could see them delaying it indefinitely in order to prioritize GO upgrades or DRL.

There's no way in hell the Liberals are going to drop the federally-boosted, fully-funded Scarborough subway for a switch back to LRT. Kathleen Wynne has staked her entire political reputation on the image that she's a do-er, not a talker. if Chow asks for a change in plans, she'll give Chow, in classic Wynne style, a speech about how Torontoians want building, not debating, and say NO.

As for the SELRT (and the FWLRT as well), aren't they already fully funded from that $8B commitment McGuinty made to Toronto transit way back when?

The Bloor-Danforth extension is going to happen. People really need to stop hoping for the return of the Scarborough LRT. It's dead. The new majority Liberal government isn't going to jump back and support the LRT again. There has been too much push and promise for the subway plan. Even if Chow is elected mayor, the Grits will no doubt tell her the subway is happening instead. The Scarborough MPPs, who all happen to be Liberal, support the subway plan and not the LRT plan. Simple as that. Premier Kathleen Wynne is the most powerful politician in Ontario now and she knows that transit expansion in the GTHA HAS to happen now. I don't see her listening to a Mayor Olivia Chow about going back to the LRT plan.

It's much more likely that nothing is built (neither LRT or subway) than the subway being built.

I could see them delaying it indefinitely in order to prioritize GO upgrades or DRL.
I don't see that happening. You aren't getting much of an extension of the RL with the money from SELRT.

The Bloor-Danforth extension is going to happen. People really need to stop hoping for the return of the Scarborough LRT. It's dead. The new majority Liberal government isn't going to jump back and support the LRT again. There has been too much push and promise for the subway plan. Even if Chow is elected mayor, the Grits will no doubt tell her the subway is happening instead. The Scarborough MPPs, who all happen to be Liberal, support the subway plan and not the LRT plan. Simple as that. Premier Kathleen Wynne is the most powerful politician in Ontario now and she knows that transit expansion in the GTHA HAS to happen now. I don't see her listening to a Mayor Olivia Chow about going back to the LRT plan.
Well if it has to happen NOW, then she should listen to Chow because the Bloor Danforth extension won't happen until 2026.

Chances of each happening:
SELRT - 80%
Nothing - 15%
Subway - 5%
Agreed. One thing about the SELRT: It goes far east. Suddenly a Trip to UTSC or Rouge Park is not a hike anymore. It should start next year but it won't start until 2017.

Agreed. One thing about the SELRT: It goes far east. Suddenly a Trip to UTSC or Rouge Park is not a hike anymore. It should start next year but it won't start until 2017.

It annoys and worries me that we have to wait another 3 years for construction to even start on Sheppard. Finch is supposed to start in 2015, so we'll see if they come up with more excuses & delays or they actually start next year.

What worries me is if they keep delaying construction year after year.

Well if it has to happen NOW, then she should listen to Chow because the Bloor Danforth extension won't happen until 2026.

Don't talk to me about trips to UTSC or Rouge.

If the SELRT had been built as planned my commute to that area would have been so much easier. Rob Ford's unauthorized backroom deal with McGuinty totally screwed me over. Ughh if I ever run into either one of those screw ups... :mad:

Back