News   Jul 19, 2024
 398     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.7K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 670     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

To win a by election. If Chow wants the SRT Murray will go for it.

Shows you don't get politics. Reverting to the SRT means they can kiss their Scarborough seats goodbye in 4 years. Even if by miracle the SRT would be up and running by the next provincial election (which it won't) Scarborough will have gone through 4 years of over packed, turtle shuttle buses clogging the streets of Scarborough which would be a nightmare...pissing off both Transit users and drivers...because Liberals would have broke their promise. When that kind of nightmare is in your face 4 years in a row, people won't forget.

Why on earth would the Liberals risk that to accommodate Olivia Chow, who's not even a Liberals?

If Chow wants the SRT Murray will go for it.

I can already see The Liberals with a majority in their pockets obeying to every orders from her majesty Queen Chow I. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Shows you don't get politics. Reverting to the SRT means they can kiss their Scarborough seats goodbye in 4 years. Even if by miracle the SRT would be up and running by the next provincial election (which it won't) Scarborough will have gone through 4 years of over packed, turtle shuttle buses clogging the streets of Scarborough which would be a nightmare...pissing off both Transit users and drivers...because Liberals would have broke their promise. When that kind of nightmare is in your face 4 years in a row, people won't forget.

Why on earth would the Liberals risk that to accommodate Olivia Chow, who's not even a Liberals?

I can already see The Liberals with a majority in their pockets obeying to every orders from her majesty Queen Chow I. :rolleyes:

And who will they vote for next time? The next provincial election will be exactly like the 3 before this one.

And who will they vote for next time? The next provincial election will be exactly like the 3 before this one.

You still can't answer my question, why should the Liberals hurt their base in Scarborough to accommodate Olivia Chow?

Where did you get the idea that the Liberals are "LRT Champions" (when they advertise themselves as Subway Champions) and that their begging to switch back to LRT?

Last edited:
To win a by election. If Chow wants the SRT Murray will go for it.

Firstly, Chow has very little power if she gets elected mayor, she needs council to vote on it. Also usually only very small parts of Mayoral platforms actually happen (look at Rob Ford's mayoral platform, if his came true we'd have a Sheppard subway east extension well under construction by now).

Secondly, Mitzie Hunter & the Scarborough Ontario Liberals got elected to be "subway champions". I guess it's possible if city council requests it but I don't think the Ont Liberals want to piss off Scarborough.

I'm more and more inclined to think chow will broker deal to not cause political shit storm for libs after only couple months in powe and will broker something beneficial to all. Scarborough gets its subway and we get something else paid for in return

As for chow winning. I think its going to be tight. But her bus policies and more social policy will appeal to many suburban voters. It will be close if b/w her and Tory if Ford becomes insignificant, but I think she has this one.

As for chow winning. I think its going to be tight. But her bus policies and more social policy will appeal to many suburban voters. It will be close if b/w her and Tory if Ford becomes insignificant, but I think she has this one.

She's still a hit or miss in the heart of Scarberia though. She'll have to be more pragmatic on the Scarborough subway file if she wants to pull ahead IMO.

She's still a hit or miss in the heart of Scarberia though. She'll have to be more pragmatic on the Scarborough subway file if she wants to pull ahead IMO.

I think she is going to be very silent about it and pile on Tory and Ford instead. No sense antagonizing your future moneymaker when you have everything to gain. Nobody is going to care much if they end up getting a BD extension and an improvement in local service.

AoD

Last edited:
You still can't answer my question, why should the Liberals hurt their base in Scarborough to accommodate Olivia Chow?

Where did you get the idea that the Liberals are "LRT Champions" (when they advertise themselves as Subway Champions) and that their begging to switch back to LRT?

Their base voted to keep the Liberals in because jobs (both public and private) were the number 1 issue. There is no alternative at this moment to vote for. The Liberals have been and still are LRT champions, look at all the projects that are LRT based.

Says the guy who expected a "silent majority" to elect Tim Hudak.
Hudak's failure is because he didn't appeal.
Firstly, Chow has very little power if she gets elected mayor, she needs council to vote on it. Also usually only very small parts of Mayoral platforms actually happen (look at Rob Ford's mayoral platform, if his came true we'd have a Sheppard subway east extension well under construction by now).

Secondly, Mitzie Hunter & the Scarborough Ontario Liberals got elected to be "subway champions". I guess it's possible if city council requests it but I don't think the Ont Liberals want to piss off Scarborough.
Mitizie Hunter got elected in a far east riding that has almost always been Liberal in recent history. A riding that can be reached only by a Malvern LRT. Wynne said herself that the subway had nothing to do with the by election. The Scarborough subway was far from a unanimous vote and the province already said they will work with whatever decision the city makes. The original deal form the SRT is the only one signed still and the city is prepping for both the SRT and Scarborough Subway now.
Are you saying Wynne won with the majority of eligible voters? Now that would be a good laugh!
No one ever wins the majority anymore.

Perhaps the PCs would be smart enough to pick a red Tory to run in four years? It would be political suicide for the OLP to be this complacent.

Doubt it. Christine Elliot has not said anything about the top jobs and Lisa McCleod would piss away even seats they won yesterday!

Back