News   Jul 19, 2024
 495     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.1K     4 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 782     1 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Does Mitzi Hunter have a sister or brother?

Maybe, if not...they can just re-use these from the last by-election and put a sticker on the name

1297448481712_ORIGINAL.jpg

Finch & Keele is the new Rosedale for sure :)

I know what your saying but that's the hydro corridor. Places like Birchmount and Sheppard would see rents rise from the subway for example. Eglinton not so much or Eglinton West which passes through a rich area already.

Maybe, if not...they can just re-use these from the last by-election and put a sticker on the name

1297448481712_ORIGINAL.jpg

TigerMaster, the Liberals have caved before and they will again.

Last edited:
I know what your saying but that's the hydro corridor. Places like Birchmount and Sheppard would see rents rise from the subway for example. Eglinton not so much or Eglinton West which passes through a rich area already.

Eglinton West property values are already rising from the ECLRT. Every property listing mentions the new underground transit line.

I think either LRT or subway would raise property values at Birchmount & Sheppard, but yeah, subway may raise it more.

I think the events thus far has demonstrated that all of the parties will cave - Hudak didn't do a quick U turn on Ottawa for nothing. It is the nature of minority governments.

AoD

I think the events thus far has demonstrated that all of the parties will cave - Hudak didn't do a quick U turn on Ottawa for nothing. It is the nature of minority governments.

AoD

I have long said that when a politician says "If elected, I will......" there is an unwritten "to a majority government" that needs to be injected before the comma.

I have long said that when a politician says "If elected, I will......" there is an unwritten "to a majority government" that needs to be injected before the comma.

Well, doesn't change the fact that minority government is what we are likely going to get. Perhaps we should think more about the why instead. This is where our political discourse has failed us.

AoD

Regardless of where the party stands, Scarborough Liberal candidates position themselves as supports of a subway on Sheppard. Interpret how you want that the Liberal party platform supports "transit solutions" for Sheppard East and Finch West.

Eglinton West property values are already rising from the ECLRT. Every property listing mentions the new underground transit line.

I think either LRT or subway would raise property values at Birchmount & Sheppard, but yeah, subway may raise it more.

Well I should have mentioned far eglinton west in etobicoke, but that's right too.
A minority Liberal government will cave to anyone and anything to win a seat. If the Finch people makes enough noise, you never know...

That's the only way I can see the SELRT being canceled. Even then, I wouldn't count on it.

That's the problem, they already caved, so why not again.

I wonder if they would cave without some substantial backing by city council and/or a mayor. I doubt they'll be cooperating with Ford much any time soon, and since he's likely out in October (hopefully replaced by Chow) the political winds could and hopefully will shift back towards LRT.

That's the problem, they already caved, so why not again.

It's a possibly. I wouldn't say it's very likely. The forces are really working against people who want a Sheppard Subway extension

1. Chances are that the Liberals will be reelected with a minority or even a majority. They have said that the current plan is to continue with SELRT.

2. Come October, chances are that our next mayor will be pro-LRT with a pro-LRT council. Would the province go ahead with a Sheppard Subway without support from the mayor and council? Maybe. But it would be unprecedented. I wouldn't say its particularly likely.

3. What are the chances that they'll be a byelection in ridings that the SELRT passes through? Not very likely

4. Unlike the Scarborough Subway, there is absolutely no good cost/benefit argument to be made for the Sheppard Subway. At least with the Scarborough Subway we could say that 14,000 pphpd is decent. No way that the same argument could be made for Sheppard's pathetic BRT level of usage. Now I suppose that in the case of a byelection the Liberals could ignore this and build the subway, but the certainly isn't a good thing for the people that want it built.

5. Where the heck will the money come from to build this

6. IIRC, the process for awarding contracts for SELRT will begin shortly. That makes a cancelation that much more unlikely.

Last edited:
It's a possibly. I wouldn't say it's very likely. The forces are really working against people who want a Sheppard Subway extension

1. Chances are that the Liberals will be reelected with a minority or even a majority. They have said that the current plan is to continue with SELRT.

2. Come October, chances are that our next mayor will be pro-LRT with a pro-LRT council. Would the province go ahead with a Sheppard Subway without support from the mayor and council? Maybe. But it would be unprecedented. I wouldn't say its particularly likely.

3. What are the chances that they'll be a byelection in ridings that the SELRT passes through? Not very likely

4. Unlike the Scarborough Subway, there is absolutely no good cost/benefit argument to be made for the Sheppard Subway. At least with the Scarborough Subway we could say that 14,000 pphpd is decent. No way that the same argument could be made for Sheppard's pathetic BRT level of usage. Now I suppose that in the case of a byelection the Liberals could ignore this and build the subway, but the certainly isn't a good thing for the people that want it built.

5. Where the heck will the money come from to build this

6. IIRC, the process for awarding contracts for SELRT will begin shortly. That makes a cancelation that much more unlikely.

All good points except #5....that has never been a concern before. ;)

Back