News   Jul 19, 2024
 526     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.3K     5 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 823     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

TOareafan:

Nope, but it does make one wonder about their motivation.

AoD

I would have thought their motivation was fairly clear.....they want an LRT plan replaced with a subway....given how easily that was achieved in the case of the RT replacement, they are likely confident that they can succeed.

You're confusing the end goal with the rationale - why would someone who is not a transit rider at all want to replace LRT with subway? The want is transparent - the why isn't, and that's the question beyond the obvious answer you've provided.

AoD

I would have thought their motivation was fairly clear.....they want an LRT plan replaced with a subway....given how easily that was achieved in the case of the RT replacement, they are likely confident that they can succeed.

Speaking of that.... Chances are that we'll have a Liberal minority or majority in a few hours. The cancelation of the SELRT just became far note unlikely.

You're confusing the end goal with the rationale - why would someone who is not a transit rider at all want to replace LRT with subway? The want is transparent - the why isn't, and that's the question beyond the obvious answer you've provided.

AoD

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your point......I think the answer is equally obvious....they think their lives are better with subway transit than lrt transit....it really is that simple.

And how would it make their lives "better", as a non-transit rider?

AoD

I have no idea.....but asking me how it does, or does not make their life better, is not a worthwhile exercise....clearly they think it will and that is what needs to be addressed.

I have no idea.....but asking me how it does, or does not make their life better, is not a worthwhile exercise....clearly they think it will and that is what needs to be addressed.

Considering upgrading will result in additional government expenditure, you might not want an answer, but I think the rest of us would want to know since wie will be paying for it directly and/or indirectly. I mean, the benefit for transit users is obvious enough, but for those who doesn't? I think we are right to wonder about why they wanted a certain mode over another, beyond it making their life "better" at a cost of $1B extra.

AoD

Last edited:
Considering upgrading will result in additional government expenditure, you might not want an answer, but I think the rest of us would want to know since wie will be paying for it directly and/or indirectly.

AoD

I happen to think it is shocking how easy it is for local groups to get politicians (since we differ on politics I feel the need to say "of all parties") to override the good recommendations of transit planning professionals and upgrade the mode of transit in various areas and, yes, shocking how much we all end up paying for it.

The RT should have been either repaired/upgrade or replaced with an LRT....but, no, we get a subway at more than double the price......the ink is not dry on that and people are touting how Finch and Sheppard are the next battlegrounds......and since the RT battle contained the "if you are not getting subways you are second class" message...what politician is going to fight that? These people have every expectation of success.

Out in my 'hood....you have the Hurontario-Main LRT.....every study done seems to show that the expected ridership can be handled by full BRT (and even those ML studies use pretty dubious assumptions to get near the top of the BRT capacity range) but no we need/want/demand a much more expensive, less flexible but shiny and cool LRT.

All at the cost to the general taxpayer....and that is a group made up of transit users, drivers, cyclists, walkers and people who never leave their house.......so everyone's opinion matters but in the end we need the leadership of someone that knows there is as much harm in building too much transit as there is in not building enough.

Their motivation is "I don't want those streetcars impeding my driving". We all know that.

AoD
Because subways raise property values. TO has it dead on and we have been saying it, the BD extension sets a very bad precedent. Even if the Liberals get in again, Wynne said she will work with council so city council can still change it over to subway.

Back