News   Jul 19, 2024
 570     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.7K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 867     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

If that is so logical then the Liberals would have mentioned that in the last transit speech. You need to take this this to Wynne, not me. Sobara's influence was evident, and what an example to use given that is a vanity extension and worse then yonge. And of course sheppard does not have priority, it's current not a project, the SELRT is.
Most people in the late 90s/early 00s assumed a Sheppard extension would be the next thing to be funded. I don't remember Spadina being mentioned as a realistic contender until around 2003. And Spadina didn't have a completed EA like Yonge now has.

Vanity or not, for all his influence Sorbara was only one cabinet minister. He didn't have enough power to push through Spadina all on his own. York Region and York University were also key in the process. A member of Toronto Council even had a quiet yet important role in moving the needle from Sheppard to Spadina.

As for Scarborough, are you really going to do this? Was Glen Murray not trying to build a subway for 1.8 billion? You think then province won't pay of the city alignment goes overcost?
I'm not sure what your point is. It has already been determined that the city, via property tax increases, will be on the hook for the extra cost and any cost overruns of a B-D extension to Sheppard (aka the preferred alignment of the city).

Murray was talking about a subway using the SRT route. The general opinion seems to be this is not feasible, though we'll have to see what the EA says.

Eglinton West is an LRT extension which will cost less then 1 billion. GenerationW has be pushing this tired narrative for over 3 years while pretending not to support it when he does.
Where the hell did Eglinton West come from? I thought you were talking about Sheppard.

What I support over and above anything else by a country mile is the DRL. My point about Yonge is that it's a shovel-ready project that can get funded at any time. That makes Yonge, like it or not, a big chip in the game. My fear is that if Toronto continues to drag its feet on a DRL, then the city will suffer when Yonge gets the green light.

Something massive has to go wrong for the DRL not to be next.

Agreed. The landscape has changed dramatically from even 2010/2011, when the DRL was a "yeah yeah, we'll get to that" item. It seems that nearly every mayoral candidate and provincial leader is endorsing the DRL (in one form or another) as Toronto's next major infrastructure project. The question now has become what other project(s) may or may not get axed in order to make that happen.

Something massive has to go wrong for the DRL not to be next.
-excluded from Transit City
-ignored by Rob Ford (and Council for the most part)

Can we go for three? Well the mayoral candidate at the top of the polls right now is showing little interest in the DRL, and was part of a group of councilors that killed the DRL in the 90s. So something massive going wrong is not entirely out of the question.

SPACING INVESTIGATION, PART 2: The political movements behind the Scarborough Subway

“For tomorrow,†Dylan Powers, Murray’s legislative aide, wrote in a May 14 request to MTO staff: “could I please get an estimate of what it would cost to put our Sheppard transit projects, Eglinton LRT and Scarborough RT underground?â€

So it seems Den (denfromoakvillemilton) may have been right all along. The Liberals were messing with all the transit lines in Toronto and burying Sheppard was definitely on their radar.

Except that we haven't heard a beep about burying anything since - perhaps they ran the numbers and the economics is so atrocious as to not worth further consideration.

AoD

^exactly. They proposed Scarborough because they could so it to stc for the same price as the LRT, and the city took that and ran with it creating the project we have today.

SPACING INVESTIGATION, PART 2: The political movements behind the Scarborough Subway

So it seems Den (denfromoakvillemilton) may have been right all along. The Liberals were messing with all the transit lines in Toronto and burying Sheppard was definitely on their radar.

Except that we haven't heard a beep about burying anything since - perhaps they ran the numbers and the economics is so atrocious as to not worth further consideration.

AoD

^exactly. They proposed Scarborough because they could so it to stc for the same price as the LRT, and the city took that and ran with it creating the project we have today.

Either way at one point the Liberals Party almost built the sheppard subway to win votes. That's doesn't sit well with me, and the screwing with the rest of the plan as well.

Either way at one point the Liberals Party almost built the sheppard subway to win votes. That's doesn't sit well with me, and the screwing with the rest of the plan as well.

No offense, but I believe all three parties "screwing with the rest of the plan". I think asking for a costing is somewhat less problematic than actually proposing inefficient lines being built with the highest cost technologies.

AoD

No offense, but I believe all three parties "screwing with the rest of the plan". I think asking for a costing is somewhat less problematic than actually proposing inefficient lines being built with the highest cost technologies.

AoD

I can agree with that, if they didn't switch the the BD extension in the first place. The SRT should should be around right now alvin. I agree all three partieis were screwing around, but the liberals were in government.

den:

BD extension is actually one of the least problematical LRT to subway schemes given the high number of existing riders. It's certainly less damaging than canning electrification, etc.

den:

BD extension is actually one of the least problematical LRT to subway schemes given the high number of existing riders. It's certainly less damaging than canning electrification, etc.
Fair enough. My problem is that it sets a bad precedent. Look at the sheppard east protest from two days ago. Once they get one they'll want more. If they used political pressure to extend BD why not to complete sheppard east?

What makes you think that there won't be a protest if one went with the LRT replacement instead?

AoD

Well I don't believe that given that there was an anti SELRT protest 48 hours ago. But despite oppostion council voted for the SELRT so I'm sure there (should) be less will to change plans, although with the BD extension I don't really know.

Back