News   Jul 19, 2024
 570     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.6K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 867     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

Cancel Finch West and it's just about paid for with ~350 million give or take from the city, which they will agree too.

I want Eglinton West built though.

Finch money is a future promise; it's not money sitting in a trust account from prior budgets to be clawed back. Spadina subway is the only project where the funds are sitting in a trust account.

That $2B/year commitment is not in addition to everything the liberals budgeted for in the past. Granted, projects take more than 1 year to complete and may be financed over the duration, but some of the highway projects are going to be pretty pricey too.

Last edited:
Finch money is a future promise; it's not money sitting in a trust account from prior budgets to be clawed back. Spadina subway is the only project where the funds are sitting in a trust account.

That $2B/year commitment is not in addition to everything the liberals budgeted for in the past. Granted, projects take more than 1 year to complete and may be financed over the duration, but some of the highway projects are going to be pretty pricey too.
Isn't Finch beginning construction next year though? It sounds like it's all ready to go, just waiting for the go from metrolinx.

Isn't Finch beginning construction next year though? It sounds like it's all ready to go, just waiting for the go from metrolinx.

A number of projects are ready to go and waiting for a budget to be passed which includes funds earmarked for it.

Last edited:

The libs were very clear it was new money. I.E. Finch and other highway projects are not included.

I suggest you stop bringing RH up all the time. It seems like you want it done the way you talk about it. If they had all that influence RH would have started in 2010 but clearly Liberals had bigger priorities and Hudak will too, like building subways in TORONTO.
How one can ignore a project that is shovel-ready, has the overwhelming support of its municipality, and is a priority for Metrolinx (none of which apply to a Sheppard subway extension) defies logic. I have no idea when Yonge will be built, but it clearly is on the agenda, and it has much more going for it compared to Sheppard. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

York Region's influence is self-evident, otherwise a Spadina extension up to Highway 7 would never have happened. As for 2009-10, the Liberal priority was the world financial crisis, which reduced Toronto's transit funding from $12 to $8 billion. Cancelling/delaying Yonge in the face of that was a pretty easy decision for them.

And why would Hudak support the city proposal when the provinces cost almost 2 billion less?
Do you mean the SRT replacement? As it stands right now the provincial contribution is $1.4 billion no matter what gets built, so where is the extra cost to the province?

The libs were very clear it was new money. I.E. Finch and other highway projects are not included.

Yes, the Libs were very clear. The Conservatives, whom I had been referring to, have not said their $2B/year transit spending promise is new money and doesn't include any currently committed projects.

How one can ignore a project that is shovel-ready, has the overwhelming support of its municipality, and is a priority for Metrolinx (none of which apply to a Sheppard subway extension) defies logic. I have no idea when Yonge will be built, but it clearly is on the agenda, and it has much more going for it compared to Sheppard. Not sure how anyone could argue otherwise.

York Region's influence is self-evident, otherwise a Spadina extension up to Highway 7 would never have happened. As for 2009-10, the Liberal priority was the world financial crisis, which reduced Toronto's transit funding from $12 to $8 billion. Cancelling/delaying Yonge in the face of that was a pretty easy decision for them.

Do you mean the SRT replacement? As it stands right now the provincial contribution is $1.4 billion no matter what gets built, so where is the extra cost to the province?
If that is so logical then the Liberals would have mentioned that in the last transit speech. You need to take this this to Wynne, not me. Sobara's influence was evident, and what an example to use given that is a vanity extension and worse then yonge. And of course sheppard does not have priority, it's current not a project, the SELRT is.

As for Scarborough, are you really going to do this? Was Glen Murray not trying to build a subway for 1.8 billion? You think then province won't pay of the city alignment goes overcost?
Just like you with Eg West extension, BurlOak with elevated Eglinton East, and andrewpwk with subways beside busy highways like Sheppard :)

Eglinton West is an LRT extension which will cost less then 1 billion. GenerationW has be pushing this tired narrative for over 3 years while pretending not to support it when he does.

Just like you with Eg West extension, BurlOak with elevated Eglinton East, and andrewpwk with subways beside busy highways like Sheppard :)

I want to be known for the Sheppard-University interline as well :) - just that topic is not as urgent and does not come up as often.

Essentially, the Sheppard subway would be interlined with the Spadina line at the (existing) Downsview station, alternating going north and south.

Back