News   Jul 19, 2024
 596     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 2.8K     6 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 898     2 

Sheppard Line 4 Subway Extension (Proposed)

This. If you're going to have the DRL, the B-D line, the Yonge line, the Spadina line ALL connecting at yonge, a cross-town sheppard subway would be quite a good piece of transit from a connectivity point of view. Having unnecessary disconnections between STC and Downsview just further isolates the line and condemns it to never gaining ridership.
Exactly. Let's stop funneling people downtown. And make Scarborough be quiet once and for all. But where will he find the money?

Last edited:
Based on what?
Cost and priorities. GO, the DRL, and finishing Eglinton would eat up most available transit dollars for years, and I'd bet anything the Yonge extension would also go before Sheppard due to pressure from York Region.

Can't see Sheppard starting in that environment for at least another decade.

Cost and priorities. GO, the DRL, and finishing Eglinton would eat up most available transit dollars for years, and I'd bet anything the Yonge extension would also go before Sheppard due to pressure from York Region.

Can't see Sheppard starting in that environment for at least another decade.

Haha at you thinking YR is more of a priority then Scarborough. They didn't even mention Yonge at the transit announcement last month. If he won't cancel Eglinton then that conversation is over and has nothing to do with this.

You missed the SRT replacement which is a very high priority project out of necessity.

Haha at you thinking YR is more of a priority then Scarborough. They didn't even mention Yonge at the transit announcement last month. If he won't cancel Eglinton then that conversation is over and has nothing to do with this.
Has a lot to do with it. It's a shovel-ready project, it has wide support in York Region, and those seats could tip the balance of power in Hudak's favour. Conversely, there is limited support for a Sheppard subway extension in Toronto Council. Without that support, Hudak could easily just drop Sheppard from his agenda without any political fallout. And if he okayed the B-D extension, Scarborough would be covered.

Hudak couldn't take the P.R. hit of being part of a government that filled in another hole, so he had little choice but to back Eglinton. And just because Hudak made no mention of Yonge, it doesn't mean other options are automatically off the table. I suggest you not take everything a politician says literally.

You missed the SRT replacement which is a very high priority project out of necessity.
I'm assuming a Hudak government would support the city's subway proposal. The city would be on the hook for any cost overruns, so it wouldn't be a budget-buster for the province.

Has a lot to do with it. It's a shovel-ready project, it has wide support in York Region, and those seats could tip the balance of power in Hudak's favour. Conversely, there is limited support for a Sheppard subway extension in Toronto Council. Without that support, Hudak could easily just drop Sheppard from his agenda without any political fallout. And if he okayed the B-D extension, Scarborough would be covered.

Hudak couldn't take the P.R. hit of being part of a government that filled in another hole, so he had little choice but to back Eglinton. And just because Hudak made no mention of Yonge, it doesn't mean other options are automatically off the table. I suggest you not take everything a politician says literally.

I'm assuming a Hudak government would support the city's subway proposal. The city would be on the hook for any cost overruns, so it wouldn't be a budget-buster for the province.

I suggest you stop bringing RH up all the time. It seems like you want it done the way you talk about it. If they had all that influence RH would have started in 2010 but clearly Liberals had bigger priorities and Hudak will too, like building subways in TORONTO.

And why would Hudak support the city proposal when the provinces cost almost 2 billion less?

I suggest you stop bringing RH up all the time. It seems like you want it done the way you talk about it. If they had all that influence RH would have started in 2010 but clearly Liberals had bigger priorities and Hudak will too, like building subways in TORONTO.

And why would Hudak support the city proposal when the provinces cost almost 2 billion less?

It is not the province proposal but the Liberal proposal. But your point is correct, Hudak may choose the least expensive solution. That is why he would be smart to try grade-separating Eglinton - it keeps open his ability to save the $2B.

With a 4-year term and a promise to spend $2B/year after the budget is balanced (2 years in), $1.8B is close to half the transit commitment.

Back