516     0 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 1.5K     5 
News   Sep 04, 2024
 568     1 

saveoursubways (SOS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Whole things seems rather north-centric. Eglinton is generally the half-way point between the lake and Steeles. Most people live south of Eglinton; yet most of this plan is on or north of Eglinton. This is also a failing with Transit City, and you appear to have done nothing to fix it - perhaps even making it worse by completely cancelling the only line entirely south of Eglinton.

Whole things seems rather north-centric. Eglinton is generally the half-way point between the lake and Steeles. Most people live south of Eglinton; yet most of this plan is on or north of Eglinton. This is also a failing with Transit City, and you appear to have done nothing to fix it - perhaps even making it worse by completely cancelling the only line entirely south of Eglinton.

If Eglinton construction started this winter, we would be talking about eglinton.

If the TTC wanted LRT for the DRL we would be talking about the DRL

Since DRL will be subway and Eglinton start later, we have to talk about SELRT. Construction is imminent and because of that the best solution is:

-Downsview to STC via Agincourt
-LRT Agincourt to Morningside (Cross my fingers that the next mayor will have more common sense than Miller and build subway)

In the end, it will be up to the next mayor...All we can do is to make sure that people are informed as much as possible so they can pressure the next candidates to think subway

Personally, I think informing people should be our main mandate alone. If our information campaign is succesful, this will get candidates to considering changing the plans and ask Metrolinx to modify the projects and review the priorities.

No one will choose whatever were proposing because we said so...That's why I think the talks about BRT is a waste of time.

We should keep it simple...

Inform people about SELRT and show what it truly is.
ST instead of Rapid Transit...Slow Transit with an Extra transfer since it won't even go to STC...etc...

The only solution we should be advertising is Downsview to STC and explain why its the best choice.

We have cancelled the WWLRT, but we have also added in the DRL, which I think in many ways is superior, and will serve far more people. I don't think there are many people, aside from those who live right on the Queensway, who would have preferred the WWLRT over the DRL...

Sorry for interrupting the discussion with facts, but just like more people live east of Yonge than west, more people actually live north of Eglinton than south. The area south of Eglinton is also far better served with transit than the area north of Eglinton - which isn't a surprise because that's where downtown is.

Sorry for interrupting the discussion with facts, but just like more people live east of Yonge than west, more people actually live north of Eglinton than south.
Is it? I must admit I only assumed that, based on my own observations. Is there actual facts somewhere to back that up? Not that I am doubting you, just it would be interesting to see.

In the end, it will be up to the next mayor...
I don't see how it could be if you hope to stop Sheppard East LRT. The next mayor won't take office until December 2010. Surely by that point some of the main construction contracts will have been tendered, and significant work started.

If a part of this plan is stopping Sheppard East (rather than leaving what will be built first as LRT), then I don't think waiting for the next mayor is an option.

I don't see how it could be if you hope to stop Sheppard East LRT. The next mayor won't take office until December 2010. Surely by that point some of the main construction contracts will have been tendered, and significant work started.

If a part of this plan is stopping Sheppard East (rather than leaving what will be built first as LRT), then I don't think waiting for the next mayor is an option.

although it would be better, I'm afraid we'll have to live with both on Sheppard...Subway + streetcar.

Is it? I must admit I only assumed that, based on my own observations. Is there actual facts somewhere to back that up? Not that I am doubting you, just it would be interesting to see.

While I am sure that others will provide links, if you just think of how much of the 416 lies north of Eglinton I think it makes sense. For instance, more than 3/4ths (or more) of Scarborough and North York lie north of Eglinton and those two boroughs comprise of nearly half of the population of Toronto. Throw in the bit of Etobicoke that's too the north and it starts to look like the north has more people.

Adding together the old York, East York and Toronto still don't equal to the population of Scarborough and North York combined and Etobicoke has too many people north of Eglinton to swing the vote.

While I am sure that others will provide links, if you just think of how much of the 416 lies north of Eglinton I think it makes sense. For instance, more than 3/4ths (or more) of Scarborough and North York lie north of Eglinton and those two boroughs comprise of nearly half of the population of Toronto. Throw in the bit of Etobicoke that's too the north and it starts to look like the north has more people.

Adding together the old York, East York and Toronto still don't equal to the population of Scarborough and North York combined and Etobicoke has too many people north of Eglinton to swing the vote.

Wikipedia

Census 2006

Scarborough 602,575
North York 635,370
Etobicoke 338,117

I don't think Sheppard and Eglinton subway is too much to ask with those numbers...

We just won the 2015 PAN AM GAMES...

With installtion being build in Scarborough...Rapid Transit is need on Sheppard non-stop to STC.

1-The LRT doesn't even go to STC
2-Slow Transit
3-The government wont refuse anything now we have the game (game related of course) This is the perfect opportunity to ask for an upgrade...On sheppard, Transform the RT to subway and Eglinton...

Last edited:
Hmm ... looking at a map carefully, I guess Lawrence is closer to the half-waypoint. Toronto and East York District are about 650,000 - 1/4 of the entire city. North York District is a similar width and almost entirely above Eglinton, except for Ward 26 (Leaside, Flemingdon Park) and it's about 635,000 ... 575,000 if you discount the 60,000 in Ward 26.

Scarborough District is about 600,000 with only Ward 35 and Ward 36 mostly south of Eglinton (108,000).

Etobicoke District is also about 600,000 but is more complex with Ward 3, Ward 5, Ward 6, Ward 13, and Ward 17 entirely south of Eglinton with about half of Ward 4 and Ward 11 - about 322,000 in Etobicoke south of Eglinton (about half).

So the total below Eglinton is approximately 650,000+60,000+108,000+322,000 = 1,140,000 which is approximately 46% of the cities 2.5 million population.

So I was wrong and more people actually live north of Eglinton than south; though it's not far from the dividing point.

That said though, the plan still seems to ignore the south ... through if DRL is delivered early, I'd withdraw that comment.

With installtion being build in Scarborough...Rapid Transit is need on Sheppard non-stop to STC.
Refresh my memory - what events are being held at STC? I know swimming is at UT Scarborough - but how big will the crowds be for that?

Refresh my memory - what events are being held at STC? I know swimming is at UT Scarborough - but how big will the crowds be for that?

You would be a poor planner...

1-STC is you're main HuB

2-Since most of your visitors goes there, you EFFICIENTLY reroute buses to link STC to U of T and you cut drastically the tim it takes to make it there from many part of the city...

3-Its not only for the games but for the future, growth, densification, more business , beautification...

does it make sense?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back