News   May 17, 2024
 2.3K     3 
News   May 17, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   May 17, 2024
 10K     10 

Royal Conservatory Of Music - Telus Centre for Performance & Learning (KPMB)

Lots of work is being done to the landscaping on the Bloor street side. It's starting to take shape and look good. The cafe in the new atrium space between the old and new building is now also open.

I will wander by today to see how things look. This one project has turned into my favourite of all of the Toronto "cultural infrastructure" projects, period, from the architectural standpoint. It has warmth in spades, and there has been some original thinking put into the complex, that is the key to TonyV's heart.

9 August 2009 photo update

dsc07412l.jpg

They sure don't make 'em like this anymore. What a feast for the eyes.

True, but to the west is nothing to sneeze at :) I think old meets new works very well here.

There's also a picture in the front section of the Globe & Mail, sans article.
This conservatory hall will be bitchin' ...

Looking good and sounding better, I'm sure! Looking forward to hearing this puppy in action.

On this perfect day I took a long walk, and grabbed a look at whatever I could see of the newly refurbished conservatory. I'm happy with what I could see, as there is a lot of really fine craftsmanship that has gone into the place. Wish someone would have given me a peak inside the main hall, though; I'll have to rely on pictures for that.

The wood tones move away from blondishness and into slightly amber tones ... ;)

Last edited:
What I find interesting is how this institution has evolved, in parallel with the city as a whole, as a venue for the general public to hear live music. We've adopted new forms and built new structures to keep up with that evolution - a network of clubs and small performance spaces all over town for contemporary popular music; jazz festivals in parks; RTH added to Massey Hall as a symphonic music venue; old churches open for new music; the U of T's Faculty of Music performance spaces welcoming such events as the Summer Music Festival and Luminato; the advent of cross-cultural world music series in places such as the Conservatory; new theatres built; an opera house; the former O'Keefe struggling to remain relevant; the wonderful Weston underused; and so on. We're such a musical town - not only a place for our own people to perform in but a welcoming and knowledgeable city that draws artists and audiences from around the world to visit and stay a while.

RCM, the Gardiner Museum expansion, and Gehry's AGO visor/Galleria Italia are the three gems of the SuperBuild 'Grands Projets.' The National Ballet school is a near gem. FSC and the ROM crystal are not gems.

Last edited:
Yawn. Please slag off the other projects in their own threads.

It is indeed an embarrassment of cultural riches for this city. Now lets turn our attention to subways :D

Back